Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Quote Originally Posted by mendieta View Post
    Hi

This is a terrific tool. I meant to install kubuntu on my eeepc, in a 4GB SDHC, alongside the default xandros. However, when I run the unetbootin executable (I just downloaded the latest) i get a segmentation fault. Libqt4 is installed ... any ideas ?

Also, wouldn't it be helpful to add a statically linked download for Linux ? (I know it's a inefficient, but this would let you bootstrap the install in almost any Linux system

Cheers!
    Try the latest version (201) at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ that version is statically linked, and should hopefully eliminate the segfault issue (assuming that it was caused by an outdated libqt4 version).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Try the latest version (201) at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ that version is statically linked, and should hopefully eliminate the segfault issue (assuming that it was caused by an outdated libqt4 version).
    Awsome, I tried it, and the segfault is gone!. but I get a libc error and the program exits gracefully:

Code:
    /home/user/bin> sudo ./unetbootin-linux-201
    ./unetbootin-linux-201: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by ./unetbootin-linux-201)
    I'll see if i upgrade glibc ... thanks so much for all your work!

UPDATE: I enabled all the usual repositories for the eee 701 (as per the eeeuser.com), and there are no updates for libc6. There is a a libc6-i686 (version 2.3.6). Installing that didn't help :

Code:
    ./unetbootin-linux-201: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by ./unetbootin-linux-201)
    I still think the static linking is a good think, it just doesn't make it for the eee

Thank you!
    Last edited by mendieta; May 25th, 2008 at 05:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 because the laptop I was given to install on had a failed cd/dvd drive. It worked, but during the install there was a page where it asked me to select the packages I wanted to install and it was not intuitive how to select or what I needed. Unfortunately pressing enter selected no packages and all I got was a basic kernel install with a cli interface.

I'm just making it through doing the manual apt-get install mess for desktop and etc.

Still, very neat package and thanks for all the info here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've downloaded the latest Unetbootin, but it won't boot! Unetbootin itself won't load. It starts to load, and then stops.

I'm running Win98 on an old Toshiba Portege. I had previously loaded unetbootin 180, to install DSL, but as DSL had problems I deleted it, and unetbootin 180 along with it.

I would like to use unetbootin to do a manual install of either TinyMe, or Puppy, but first unetbootin itself has to load.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HHelsinger View Post
    I've downloaded the latest Unetbootin, but it won't boot! Unetbootin itself won't load. It starts to load, and then stops.

I'm running Win98 on an old Toshiba Portege. I had previously loaded unetbootin 180, to install DSL, but as DSL had problems I deleted it, and unetbootin 180 along with it.

I would like to use unetbootin to do a manual install of either TinyMe, or Puppy, but first unetbootin itself has to load.

Any ideas?
    What portion exactly are you referring to as "UNetbootin itself"? If the application itself (aka on Windows) isn't starting up, try running it from the command line, see if it generates any output and post it. If it does indeed complete but GRUB4DOS (the bootloader) fails, it usually outputs error messages, write them down and post them.

Anyhow, I haven't tested on Win9x in a while, since I don't have ready access to Win9x, so some portions may be broken (it's probably due to the Unicode support for non-US users I included in UNetbootin, which Win9x doesn't support, since non-US users far outnumber the <1% of the population still using Win9x), but since you said that 180 worked, you can still get the older releases at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=268713 and the really old releases at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=198821

And if your old computer happens to support booting from USB, you can always just create a bootable DSL/TinyMe USB drive from another computer and boot it on the computer running Win9x.

If that isn't an option, you can always do the job manually; download ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribu...4.3-initrd.iso and use 7-zip http://www.7-zip.org/ to extract out the files "linux24" and "minirt24.gz" and supply those as the "kernel" and "initrd" files to UNetbootin, and under the "options" section type in whatever comes after APPEND in "isolinux.cfg", which is:

Code:
    ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce noapic quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; May 27th, 2008 at 06:18 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Niva View Post
    Well I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 because the laptop I was given to install on had a failed cd/dvd drive. It worked, but during the install there was a page where it asked me to select the packages I wanted to install and it was not intuitive how to select or what I needed. Unfortunately pressing enter selected no packages and all I got was a basic kernel install with a cli interface.

I'm just making it through doing the manual apt-get install mess for desktop and etc.

Still, very neat package and thanks for all the info here.
    Hi Niva, a command like "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" will load all the packages. Search these forums and Google for more info on that. I personally install ubuntu via this method --> cli then apt-get install all the goodies.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Kinda lost my love for ubuntu, more changey than Vista or Win8
    So LMDE it is for me until there's a way to update my distro and not
    have everything disappear.

Beans

Code:
    /home/user/bin> sudo ./unetbootin-linux-201
    ./unetbootin-linux-201: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by ./unetbootin-linux-201)
    I am thinking ... would it be possible to also link against glibc statically ? (to remove all dependencies?)

This would make unetbootin (the binary) more widely accesible !

Also, anyone knows of debian etch unetbootin current packages?

Many thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I took your advice (I always do). I downloaded an earlier version (180) of unetbootin, and indeed it did start up properly on my win98 Toshiba laptop. So now I'm stuck further along. I downloaded the iso of TinyMe - and that is on the desktop. I told unetbootin to install it -- I reboot, I get a menu with a choice of Windows or Unetbootin, I choose the latter, it cycles through the menu again, I choose unetbootin again, and I get this message:
    (hd0.0)
    Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0xc
    [linux-bzImage, setup=0x1600,size=0x43f4]

unable to open Dosfile /menu.lst
    I assume it is looking for a Grub menu.lst. should one have been created by unetbootin?

The Toshiba won't boot from USB, nor from CD. You suggested I could "do the job manually" by extracting "kernel" and "initrd" files from the current iso of dsl -- I assume that suggestion was specific to dsl, and I could use the comparable files (vmlinuz and initrd.gz) from TinyMe?

Thanks.
    Last edited by HHelsinger; May 29th, 2008 at 05:19 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HHelsinger View Post
    I took your advice (I always do). I downloaded an earlier version (180) of unetbootin, and indeed it did start up properly on my win98 Toshiba laptop. So now I'm stuck further along. I downloaded the iso of TinyMe - and that is on the desktop. I told unetbootin to install it -- I reboot, I get a menu with a choice of Windows or Unetbootin, I choose the latter, it cycles through the menu again, I choose unetbootin again, and I get this message:

I assume it is looking for a Grub menu.lst. should one have been created by unetbootin?

The Toshiba won't boot from USB, nor from CD. You suggested I could "do the job manually" by extracting "kernel" and "initrd" files from the current iso of dsl -- I assume that suggestion was specific to dsl, and I could use the comparable files (vmlinuz and initrd.gz) from TinyMe?

Thanks.
    Yes, vmlinuz and initrd.gz would work, though you'd need to also extract livecd.sqfs as well to the root directory (C:\). As for the PCLinuxOS kernel boot options, they are (from isolinux.cfg):

Code:
    livecd=livecd initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on vga=788 keyb=us splash=silent fstab=rw,noauto

Beans

Hi All. Im trying to use unetbootin and in a new pclos gnome hd instalation i get the message 7pzip-full not installed when starting unetbootin. I check synaptics and it shows it installed. After the error message the unetbootin starts and downloads the file i choose but stops after download... I also tried it on a win xp serpack2 machine. unetbootin starts. downloads files fast 731 meg 100 percent downlaoded then stops. No extraction or copy will start? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast