Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical: where's the 14.04 hype?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Canonical: where's the 14.04 hype?

IMHO, we are in a period of quiet achievement. Although Ubuntu and Canonical could be said to have had a tough time in a PR sense recently, they are surely gaining ground. 14.04 looks to be a fantastic polished release but bigger things await in the medium term. Stay tuned!

Beans

I remember when there was a countdown to the latest Ubuntu release. I miss the excitement of those days. (I also miss the brown theme.) Times change, I suppose...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Is there any advantage other than small improvements to Unity, to upgrade from version 13.1 to 14.04?

Beans

I would think [pending finances] it would be great for Ubuntu to capitalize on everyone's "fears" about Windows XP's "demise". Again if they could fund it some quick hit TV spots would be epic!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    Is there any advantage other than small improvements to Unity, to upgrade from version 13.1 to 14.04?
    I'm running the Beta 2 now and it works, where-as 13.10 I couldn't even get to install....still don't know why lol. Anywho I have heard that a new Kernel is in play, along with some other new shiny packages. All I know is that it works swimmingly for

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Have to admit, I'm kinda hesitant to move on from 12.04 to 14.04 right away. Maybe I'll wait for a month or two.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    Have to admit, I'm kinda hesitant to move on from 12.04 to 14.04 right away. Maybe I'll wait for a month or two.
    +1

I'll be waiting for 14.04.1 (around Aug 21) before I update my server and main desktop PCs. We always find new bugs when a new release comes out. LTS releases are better than non LTS but still not perfect.

As for my test PC been running 14.04 for months.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    If your updater is set to LTS mode (if you haven't been prompted to update to the interim releases, it is), then I think you don't get prompted for update until the .1 release. It worked that way in the past.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

14.04 is the third LTS since I started to use Ubuntu and 10.04 seem to get the most attention because of the cosmetic changes (branding colors, icons, and light themes). 12.04 and 14.04 seem to be more polished versions of their predecessors.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; April 16th, 2014 at 10:02 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    newer programs, new kernel with plenty of new features, new and much improved opensource AMD drivers... DE also get upgraded with features, performance improvements etc. well actually you can get most of this stuff via PPA but then it would be a lot of PPA.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast