Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 and "Rolling Development"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 and "Rolling Development"

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I will watch out for any developments...Also, i am sure Cairiboo907 and Phillinux will post anything new also...

Oh, yeah, i was wondering....do you have to temporarily uncheck your ppas when you do an upgrade?
    I don't have a lot...only 2 actually...Google Chrome and also webupd8.org's ppa for updating Oracle Java (that one does say "Raring Ringtail" in the ppa...Chrome's does not of course)...

Also, you know the simplest way they could have development transition, is to just continue calling it (in development) the same name...true? (in the case of what we are running, that would be Ringing Ringtail...so...just in development...Raring Ringtail would be 13.04, 13.10, 14.04, etc...)....point releases would continue the new names of course...In fact, i think Mark Shuttleworth has suggested that...
    The update-manager should disable the ppas, but just in case it may be an idea to disable them before starting update-manager.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    There will not be an .iso for several weeks. Wait for the 'toolchain' or watch the forums for messages from Cariboo907 and check here ;
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2073477

for the latest.

Also..you can study this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post11893873

Also learn how to chroot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I was just curious... two questions:

1) I was looking at the release schedule for 13.04 and it shows a RC (release candidate) scheduled for this thursday (April 18th)...does that mean the regular ubuntu 13.04 w/unity will have an actual RC on thursday?

2) Also, if someone has an install for 13.04 final (after next thursday) if he should decide that he would like to have it follow "development" and upgrade it to 13.10 development, would he use the same method that you use to upgrade 13.04 development to 13.10 development?....

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

I'm waiting for SS archive

Beans
    Distro

Is it known, definitively, just what the release scenario is going to be as we go forward? IMO, this whole issue has been clouded with contradictory statements from various parties for weeks now.

How long is Raring going to be supported?

Is there going to be an "SS"?

What does "rolling release" even mean in the context of what various parties have been saying recently? I've heard a few different scenarios...

Somebody needs to lay down the smack, and describe in clear and detailed language just what the plan is, because this much uncertainty is not good for a project that wants to be taken seriously. I am not in the loop, and maybe things are being decided, buttons being pressed and knobs twiddled, but right now there just seems to be a lot of ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I have just brought another hard disk and I have been pondering how to use it in testing. I have decided to follow the practice of one forum user of having not only a separate / and /home partitions (as now) but also a separate data partition. I know I will need to edit the fstab file to do this. So, this is the partitioning scheme of my new 500GB hard disk.

sdb1 = 20GB primary mount point / 13.04 installed
    sdb2 = Extended partition of the rest of the disk
    sdb5 = 20GB logical mount point /home for the 13.04
    sdb9 = 361GB logical to be Data partition

This 13.04 will be my standby OS and upgrade every six months until 14.04.

sdb 7 & 8 = 20GB each to be / & /home respectively of a new 13.04 install that I will put in after release day and convert to 13.10 (or whatever) when the tool chain is loaded by using the sed command. That will be my development branch and I will edit the fstab file so that it can access the data partition of sdb9

sdb6 = 2GB = swap

What I need to do now is transfer over to the new drive my data files and stuff and work out how I am going to use the old drive for testing.

I have never been able to safely test the Install alongside option. Now, I might be able to. I have a download of Windows 8 preview that I have never tried. I might install that and then test the Install Alongside option using the old drive for this.

Regards.
    I installed Windows 8 Executive Toy Plaything-64bit and it worked real fast on my Acer Extensa Dual Core. I then proceeded to install Ubuntu alongside it and now the 10 second start-up/shut down of Win 8 has been corrupted. Why . I have no idea. Also , raring will still not detect Radeon ATi cards properly, giving relics, distortions and phatoms in the Unity Dash.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Is it known, definitively, just what the release scenario is going to be as we go forward? IMO, this whole issue has been clouded with contradictory statements from various parties for weeks now.

How long is Raring going to be supported?

Is there going to be an "SS"?

What does "rolling release" even mean in the context of what various parties have been saying recently? I've heard a few different scenarios...

Somebody needs to lay down the smack, and describe in clear and detailed language just what the plan is, because this much uncertainty is not good for a project that wants to be taken seriously. I am not in the loop, and maybe things are being decided, buttons being pressed and knobs twiddled, but right now there just seems to be a lot of ???
    bifurcation?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    bifurcation?

Who knows! But I would like to...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I know what you mean, sgage...you would think they would make some announcements...this kind of information should actually be available at the ubuntu website...they should keep us up to date on what is going on...first there's the new 9 months support business...(at least that they said definitely starts with 13.04) but then the other things are kind of fuzzy...i still hear things about it going rolling by 14.04...then i read rolling is definitely out...and when is the "smooth transistion" from development to development supposed to go into effect? On 13.04? 13.10? when? how will it be done? will it be done?
    ???????

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I know what you mean, sgage...you would think they would make some announcements...this kind of information should actually be available at the ubuntu website...they should keep us up to date on what is going on...first there's the new 9 months support business...(at least that they said definitely starts with 13.04) but then the other things are kind of fuzzy...i still hear things about it going rolling by 14.04...then i read rolling is definitely out...and when is the "smooth transistion" from development to development supposed to go into effect? On 13.04? 13.10? when? how will it be done? will it be done?
    ???????
    Exactly, craig10x. The Canonical powers that be need to clarify the plan, ASAP. People need to make decisions, and they need to know what to expect...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast