Thread: Can't install ubuntu from memory stick

Beans

Can't install ubuntu from memory stick

Hey!

I'm currently using Windows 7.
    I used these steps to prepare the Ubuntu installation.

But when I restart my computer I just get right to the OS selector screen, where all I can do is select Windows 7. Can't boot the memory stick, and I can't open BIOS screen! There's nothing that says press [x] for [anything] at all! I just have a "Asus" screen and then I'm in the OS selector.

PLEASE HELP! THANKS!

Edit: There should be something like this screen (from here )
    Last edited by 3rlend; October 29th, 2011 at 10:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Can't install ubuntu from memory stick

Hi

Have you tried pressing ESC or F2 immediately after power up for boot? My Asus needs F2 for BIOS or ESC for boot device option. I dont get a static menu giving these options.

What is the OS selector - is it an Eeepc with a special quick boot (asus cloud Linux) option alongside W7?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roger_1960 View Post
    Hi

Have you tried pressing ESC or F2 immediately after power up for boot? My Asus needs F2 for BIOS or ESC for boot device option. I dont get a static menu giving these options.

What is the OS selector - is it an Eeepc with a special quick boot (asus cloud Linux) option alongside W7?
    It's not eee... idk what it's. But I used EasyBCD to configure it (uninstalled Linux to reinstall it because it was bugged). But I'll try to do what you said.

Beans

Try using these steps:

https://debianhelp.wordpress.com/201...neiric-ocelot/

Quote Originally Posted by 3rlend View Post
    Hey!

I'm currently using Windows 7.
    I used these steps to prepare the Ubuntu installation.

But when I restart my computer I just get right to the OS selector screen, where all I can do is select Windows 7. Can't boot the memory stick, and I can't open BIOS screen! There's nothing that says press [x] for [anything] at all! I just have a "Asus" screen and then I'm in the OS selector.

PLEASE HELP! THANKS!

Edit: There should be something like this screen (from here )

Beans

I did what roger_1960 said and it worked; I managed to install it
    However I don't like the taskbar. In my previous Ubuntu OS, I had the tasks/windows at the bottom being squishy icons that jumped when I moused over them. Know what program it is/what to do to enable it? I can't remember...
    I ran compiz manager and applied Wobbly Windows, but when I apply anything else in there, suddenly it seems that the explorer doesn't work - windows don't have a bar above, taskbar disappears, I can't use any shortcuts except ctrl + alt + F1, but I don't even know what to do in there so I had to hold the shutdown button a couple of times :/ Can't do ANYTHING at that point.

Edit: What I also liked with my last Ubuntu OS, what that the bar at the top contained not the regular File, Edit, View ETC for the focused window (which is now), but useful things like Places, and a list of all the installed programs available, as well as System or something - with all settings etc... How do I get that back?
    Last edited by 3rlend; October 30th, 2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Added stuff