Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update procedure for newbie non-geek

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Update procedure for newbie non-geek

Updating from 10.04 to 12.04.

I've been using 10.04 for several months and am thinking about moving to 12.04. But reading the forums has got me really spooked. Seems almost anything can happen including loss.

Is there a basic step by step process for newbie non-geeks that can be printed out and used?

I mean like, step one.... turn on computer.

Thanks

Morhin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Update procedure for newbie non-geek

Personally, I find some of the FUD on upgrading overblown. The chances of An upgrade chunking your system are low.
    That being said.

1)If at all possible, back-up your important data first.

2)I personally download\burn a fresh copy of ubuntu from ubuntu.com
    This way I can testdrive it and see if I actually like it.
    With a fresh copy of the lastest LTS and my freshly backed-up system I can proceed to number 3 without fear.

3)Follow this guide for network upgrade
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades

You will find a lot of people prefer run fresh installs(with their fresh copies) over network upgrades. Though I network upgrade(and download fresh copy), the reasoning can be quite simple. A fresh copy can take considerable less time to download,burn, and install than a network upgrade(since a network upgrade will upgrade everything{well maybe not everything}, which means all of the packages you've downloaded through the software center).

If you cannot run steps 1 and 2 have no fear, as the chances of the upgrade going bad are pretty slim, and as bugs get fix they get slimmer everyday.
    I hope this eases your mind.

Edit: As a quick warning, The latest Nvidia drivers have been known to not act well with compiz on some of the cards, so if you're running Nvidia graphics cards be warned. This however does not break your system, only makes full unity3d unusable, but unity 2d is still usable.
    Last edited by deadflowr; May 12th, 2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Added information

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do not leave the upgrade unattended as you may need to give some input during the process.

As the upgrade runs Click on details and watch what is happening. You may need to OK something during the upgrade.

If you have broadband then the downloading of the packages will take about 10 minutes. Installing the packages will take longer. Update manager may say it will take about 4 hours but in a matter of seconds that will change to 3 hours, then 2 hours then less than 90 minutes. It will take about 60 - 70 minutes.

I base this on my experience last night upgrading 11.10 to 12.04 and I did not have any problems.

I did have to remove and then re-install Chromium in order to get Flash working. That is all so far.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes back it up, and you will have to respond to the upgrade at the least it will ask for removal of old stuff not needed to finish.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by morhin View Post

I've been using 10.04 for several months and am thinking about moving to 12.04. But reading the forums has got me really spooked. Seems almost anything can happen including loss.

Is there a basic step by step process for newbie non-geeks that can be printed out and used?

Thanks

Morhin

Backup all your data and then use this;

http://www.remastersys.com/

Although I am a newbie, it solved all my problems. If you have a backup of your system on DVD, and your data backed up, then nothing can really go wrong, no matter what you do. You just insert the disk and reinstall and your system is exactly as it was when you backed it up.

You can even do a complete new install of a distribution and simply reverse it using your backup DVD. The backup DVD is also a live disc, so you can use it for repairs etc as well.
    Last edited by traditionalist; May 12th, 2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Typo
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It might be a little unpopular advice in this part of the town,
    but if you are a newbie, I think it might be better not to upgrade to 12.04 right now. People are still learning the ropes on the new release, and it seems there are lots of problems with something not working/going wrong after going to 12.04.

I would upgrade to 11.10. That being said, it is also true, you never learn linux, until you tinker with your computer, fix things that are not running. So, if you want to do that, then its totally worth it.
    Life does not imitate art, it imitates bad television.
    -Woody Allen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by souravc83 View Post
    It might be a little unpopular advice in this part of the town,
    but if you are a newbie, I think it might be better not to upgrade to 12.04 right now. People are still learning the ropes on the new release, and it seems there are lots of problems with something not working/going wrong after going to 12.04.

I would upgrade to 11.10. That being said, it is also true, you never learn linux, until you tinker with your computer, fix things that are not running. So, if you want to do that, then its totally worth it.
    I wouldn't call that unpopular advice. I'd call it sound. There is no rush for anyone to take such a gigantic leap like upgrading from 10.04 to 12.04, at this point.
    The amount of difference between the two is immense, and can almost feel overwhelming.
    That being said your second point is also valid, learning anything comes with inherent risk. And accepting the consequences of that risk can bear very worthwhile fruit.
    Me thinks?

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi
    Bottom line: keep using 10.04. I am using 10.04LTS and have no desire to upgrade until the new 12.04 has gone through its' paces. Save yourself a lot of grief. If you desire the cutting edge of Ubuntu, then there is nothing I can post here to change your mind. I use 10.04LTS server with a desktop Gnome for development. I have worked out all kinks & let me tell you, it is a dream machine! I am thankful for the efforts that have gone into Ubuntu & hopefully I will contribute meaningfully in the future. End of story: best advice I can give...
    :

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by morhin View Post

Thanks

Morhin

1. Back up your data first.

2. Test 12.04 by running the live desktop CD. Make sure your hardware works.

3. Read the release notes.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePango.../UbuntuDesktop

4. If all looks good, upgrade.

5. If upgrade fails, fresh install and restore your data.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Personally, I find some of the FUD on upgrading overblown.
    Your advice is sound, but ...

Failed upgrades, however, are neither FUD or fun, it happens, usually because users are not prepared and do not read the release notes.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast