Thread: Doubt about graphic card drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Doubt about graphic card drivers

Hello.

I want to buy a new graphic card for my desktop PC. Some friends advised to me the ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2, and I want to know if that card has problems with Linux due to its drivers.

Because I had problems with the wifi drivers some years ago, and I don't want to have the same problem with another hardware.

My current graphic card is an Intel 82945G Express Chipset.

Beans

Re: Doubt about graphic card drivers

AMD graphics drivers work fine in Linux but I'd go for a modern card like a Radeon 7970. The Radeon 4000 series is three generations old.
    Last edited by lukeiamyourfather; September 28th, 2012 at 03:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Because ATI's support of Linux was so abysmal before AMD bought ATI, the community has a knee-jerk "ATI sucks" reaction. It is no longer true.

However, I won't say to use either ATI or NVIDIA. It's your money, not mine. Read reviews of models from both manufacturers for cards in your price range. Stay with the newer generation cards. Choose a card that suits your needs and budget and don't worry about brand.

They are both good.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by lukeiamyourfather View Post
    AMD graphics drivers work fine in Linux but I'd go for a modern card like a Radeon 7970. The Radeon 4000 series is three generations old.
    Unfortunately I don't have much money for a Radeon 7000 series

Quote Originally Posted by QIII
    Because ATI's support of Linux was so abysmal before AMD bought ATI, the community has a knee-jerk "ATI sucks" reaction. It is no longer true.

However, I won't say to use either ATI or NVIDIA. It's your money, not mine. Read reviews of models from both manufacturers for cards in your price range. Stay with the newer generation cards. Choose a card that suits your needs and budget and don't worry about brand.

They are both good.
    As I said to lukeiamyourfather, my wallet is not big.

Well, I assume that I won't have problems with drivers. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have a 4250, and it works fine. It will want you to install the proprietary "AMD Catalyst" package. Helpful, but not necessary.

Side note: the 4800's have 1GB VRAM, don't they? The beauty of AMD's numbering of models is you can always tell, first number is family, second tells you the power of the card, the 50's are not noticeably better than 00's.
    Better than some random numbering you see elsewhere [cough] Intel [/cough]
    Last edited by Starcruiser322; September 28th, 2012 at 05:04 PM.