Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing enlightenment 17 on Ubuntu karmic

Beans

Lightbulb Installing enlightenment 17 on Ubuntu karmic

Hi everybody:

Today I found the enlightenment 17 repository and I've installed it on my Ubuntu 9.10. Here's the mini howto to do it:

Note: as today does not exists a karmic 9.10 repository now, we will use the 9.04 repository.

1. Enable the e17 repository: sudo echo "deb http://packages.enlightenment.org/ubuntu jaunty main extras" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/enlightenment.list
    2. cd /tmp
    3. Download the repository key from: wget http://packages.enlightenment.org/repo.key
    4. Now, register the key: sudo apt-key add repo.key
    5. Update the apt: sudo apt-get update
    6. Download aditional package libmpd0
    7. Install libmpd0: sudo dpkg -i libmpd0_0.17.0-1_i386.deb
    8. And install the packages needed:
      sudo apt-get install e17 e17-data libefreet-svn-03 emodule-alarm emodule-bling emodule-calendar emodule-cpu emodule-deskshow emodule-diskio emodule-edgar emodule-efm-nav emodule-efm-path emodule-efm-pathbar emodule-emu emodule-execwatch emodule-extramenu emodule-flame emodule-forecasts emodule-iiirk emodule-language emodule-mail emodule-mem emodule-notification emodule-penguins emodule-places emodule-rain emodule-screenshot emodule-slideshow emodule-snow emodule-taskbar emodule-tiling emodule-trash emodule-uptime emodule-weather emodule-winselector emprint gxine xine-ui libxine1-ffmpeg thunar-archive-plugin thunar-media-tags-plugin emodule-mpdule emodule-net emodule-wlan gxineplugin
    9. Logout and login with the e17 now!

NOTE2: Into the repository exists a dummy package called emodules-all, I've don't used it because it include the emodule-exalt package that replace the network-manager network-manager-gnome packages and I don't want to do that and maybe you neither want, otherwise use: sudo apt-get install e17 e17-data libefreet-svn-03 emodules-all gxine xine-ui libxine1-ffmpeg thunar-archive-plugin thunar-media-tags-plugin gxineplugin

If you want the composite enabled then install:
    sudo apt-get install libxcb-composite0 libxcomposite1 xcompmgr libgtkextra-x11-2.0-1 emodule-bling transset

And run from a terminal: xcompmgr -fF

If you wish integrate the gnome settings then run: gnome-settings-daemon

To execute this applications from the startup you need:
    1. Create a shell script with: "vi ~/startup-e17.sh" with the content:
      #!/bin/bash
      mplayer /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/desktop-login.ogg &
      xcompmgr -fF &
      gnome-settings-daemon &
    2. Set the rights permissions: chmod 750 ~/startup-e17.sh
    3. now, create the .desktop file: "vi .local/share/applications/startup-e17.desktop" with the content:
      [Desktop Entry]
      Hidden=false
      Exec=/bin/sh /home/[username]/startup-e17.sh
      Name[es_AR]=startup-e17
      Type=Application
      NoDisplay=true
      Version=1,
      StartupNotify=false
      Terminal=false
      Name=startup-e17
      NOTE3: replace the [username] with your user login name.
    4. finally, create the .order file: "vi ~/.e/e/applications/startup/.order" with the content:
      startup-e17.desktop

Enjoy!
    Last edited by mack75; December 10th, 2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: I did some corrections

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Installing enlightenment 17 on Ubuntu karmic

Thank you for taking the time to write this fine "How To".
    Everything working good for me.

Beans

Maybe a noob question, but when doing "sudo apt-get install e17" dependencies are not automatically installed? Or is this because the Jaunty repo is being used?

Beans

Hi:

If you say this for the large package list, maybe you've not read my Note2:

"Into the repository exists a dummy package called emodules-all, I've don't used it because it include the emodule-exalt package that replace the network-manager network-manager-gnome packages..."

If you mean that the install command: sudo apt-get install e17 don't install automatically the reminding modules packages, it's fine, the modules packages depends of the e17 package but the e17 package don't depend of the modules packages.

Regards!

Beans

I used karmic instead of jaunty in the repo and everything worked fine!

Beans

Great howto. I've linked to it from my minimal E17 install howto. I think some of the people who were trying to use my howto were really looking for something more like this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Right cliking on my desktop does not give me a menu. Is there a reason why? Anything you guys can tell me?

Beans

Hi joplass:

Probe with the left mouse button

Regards!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kappa962 View Post
    Great howto. I've linked to it from my minimal E17 install howto. I think some of the people who were trying to use my howto were really looking for something more like this.
    Hi kappa962:

Thanks for the link.

Regards!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mack75 View Post
    If you mean that the install command: sudo apt-get install e17 don't install automatically the reminding modules packages, it's fine, the modules packages depends of the e17 package but the e17 package don't depend of the modules packages.
    wasn't really that interested in the modules part, but the command apt-get install e17 e17-data gave me the impression that dependencies may not be resolved properly for e17 installation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast