Page 114 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1386

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

i followed the steps above and nothing turend good for me !

i was trying to install ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS with the NVIDIA 9500 GT.

1. I did fresh installation
    2. did all the updates
    3. removed the driver "xserver-xorg-video-nouveau'
    4. did install the linux-header-generic
    5. downloaded the driver
    6. built it (was building for 3.2.0-37-lowlatency-pae)
    7. did nvidia-xconfig
    8. rebooted
    9. if i open the nvidia-settings application, it says i am not using nvidia driver and i had to run the nvidia-xconfig

after all this i have lost the display resolution and i had to delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and reboot it to get it back.

pplease help me as i am running with this since last week and i dont have a choice otherthan the ubuntu studio lts version .....
    Regards,
    Abhayadev S

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by abhayadevs View Post
    i followed the steps above and nothing turend good for me !

i was trying to install ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS with the NVIDIA 9500 GT.

1. I did fresh installation
    2. did all the updates
    3. removed the driver "xserver-xorg-video-nouveau'
    4. did install the linux-header-generic
    5. downloaded the driver
    6. built it (was building for 3.2.0-37-lowlatency-pae)
    7. did nvidia-xconfig
    8. rebooted
    9. if i open the nvidia-settings application, it says i am not using nvidia driver and i had to run the nvidia-xconfig

after all this i have lost the display resolution and i had to delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and reboot it to get it back.

pplease help me as i am running with this since last week and i dont have a choice otherthan the ubuntu studio lts version .....
    Okay...

First, why did you uninstall xserver-xorg-video-nouveau? LOL. That was not in any of my nor Bogan's instructions. It said to add nouveau to the blacklist file, but not to remove it. You never know if you might need that as a fallback, right? No harm.

Please post file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' and I'll look at to see what happened. That log will show me what driver you tried to install and what happened...

Will wait. Thanks.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i knew it.. but just wanted to do that... don't know what will make it work..

any way i tried with the nvidia-current and may it is not creating the installation log. i have captured the console using the 'script' command and attached is the ones.

"typescript.1" is the initial sequences prior to new installations
    "typescript" has the steps i followed for the installation of nvidia-current driver.
    "typescript" also carries some system info i did 'cat' in to it at the EOF.

is it mandatory that i had to issue the following command, because, i am using the xfce desktop environment and if this command needs any changes let me know

sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
    Last edited by abhayadevs; February 17th, 2013 at 12:51 AM.
    Regards,
    Abhayadev S

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

any way i tried with the nvidia-current and may it is not creating the installation log. i have captured the console using the 'script' command and attached is the ones.

"typescript.1" is the initial sequences prior to new installations
    "typescript" has the steps i followed for the installation of nvidia-current driver.
    "typescript" also carries some system info i did 'cat' in to it at the EOF.

is it mandatory that i had to issue the following command, because, i am using the xfce desktop environment and if this command needs any changes let me know
    Ooooh... Not if you want to go from light and trim to extra heavy super-sized install. I'm thinking you went to xfce to stay light right?

Sent you a PM... Above said it installed fine without errors and created an xorg.conf... ? Waiting on your xorg.0.log file as request in the PM.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 16th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Any status change on this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Any status change on this?
    for medical reasons i couldnt look into it. may be by next monday i shiuld be able ti work on this. will update you soon.. thanks.
    Regards,
    Abhayadev S

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

for medical reasons i couldnt look into it. may be by next monday i shiuld be able ti work on this. will update you soon.. thanks.
    Hoping all is well and that you are feeling better soon.

Beans

Hi,

I don't know if my issue is related to this thread, but I do get a blank screen on Reboot.

System>

• HP dv7-ed6190ed (2 drives, dual boot win7/12.04Lts)
    • the win7 install is untouched, and just there to be able to re-configure the system to its original state for when I re-sell.
    • Always boot 12.04Lts.

The system has been running fine for over a year. No issues what-so-ever.
    Today though, I did a routine upgrade, where-after the blank-screen-issue occurred the first time.

Kernel:

3.2.0-38-generic #61-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 19 12:18:21 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The system will do cold boot perfectly fine as usual, I'm writing this post on it

If I do a Reboot though I get blank screen (complete black)

Ctrl + F1 to pop up terminal works but no GUI Ctrl+F7

If I shut-down from terminal screen or just by brute force, the next boot will work just fine.

If I were to reboot again, same thing happens. So I can reproduce the same over and over again.

Very odd huh?

Any Ideas where or what to look for?
    Do I need to post some logs for any of you to have a closer look?
    Greetings,
    Media Junkie

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, mediajunkie,

Edit: At what stage in the reboot does the Blank screen occur, before or after grub or login screen??

You Posted:
    Ctrl + F1 to pop up terminal works but no GUI Ctrl+F7
    Presumably that should have been: "Ctrl+Alt+F1", which gives a TTY login prompt.

For starters, from that blank screen and a TTY login, please Post:
    Code:
    lspci | grep -iA3 vga
    glxinfo | grep -iA2 openGL
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    Also what you get if you enter 'startx', or:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm start
    error messages??
    A look at /home/username/.xsession-errors may throw some light. ['Ctrl+h' to show hidden files].

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; February 22nd, 2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Query added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, mediajunkie,

Edit: At what stage in the reboot does the Blank screen occur, before or after grub or login screen??

You Posted: Presumably that should have been: "Ctrl+Alt+F1", which gives a TTY login prompt.

For starters, from that blank screen and a TTY login, please Post:
    Code:
    lspci | grep -iA3 vga
    glxinfo | grep -iA2 openGL
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    Also what you get if you enter 'startx', or:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm start
    error messages??
    A look at /home/username/.xsession-errors may throw some light. ['Ctrl+h' to show hidden files].

Chao!, bogan.
    Bogan, mediajunkie...
    What we really need to look at is he sys logs as it is shutting down the system. Something is hanging and not shutdown cleanly as it's going down to reboot, rather than shutdown completely and then load fresh.

Technically. for the system to shut down it uses runlevel 0 (rc0.d) and calls script that where started in init.d that describes System V compatible "on-stop" behaviours. In a reboot, it goes to runlevel 6 (rc6.d) that does basically the same, but does things a little differently to be able to reboot.

.Xsession and it's error log will show init of the XSession and errors while it is up, but is not good at logging it's shutdown.

"dmesg" filters (grep) would show the shutdown of the desktop and X, but will stop logging as the system shuts down...

I used to know how to trace a system on shutdown to trap shutdown errors. It's been a while since I've had to do one. I'm going to have to look back in my notes for that. Will be back soon.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 22nd, 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Page 114 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast