Thread: SMPlayer vs VLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

SMPlayer vs VLC

I wanted to know your opinions about these two great applications.

In my opinion, VLC is a good player, but it doesn't have the logical (for me) functions which SMPlayer has. For example:
    - VLC doesn't remember the last position of the movie;
    - in order to move forward and backward you need to press shortcuts and not just Left or Right key.
    - in SMPlayer it is easier to load subtitles due to the better toolbar.

In a nutshell, for my personal use, VLC has to be customized to get the usable and default functions of SMPlayer. Are there any other pros and cons?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: SMPlayer vs VLC

SMPlayer is an excellent front end whereas VLC is self contained, thats the big difference, whereas the former depends on mplayer, the later comes with a movie player, encoder of its own. VLC 2 is shaping up nicely, also VLC does encoding, radio, TV, streaming and more which would need separate programs, its truly a Swiss knife of media players around.

Beans

I have used both applications extensively and I have a place for both in my setup . Mind you perhaps you should also add in to your comparison the sheer power of the commandline MPlayer.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I have used both applications extensively and I have a place for both in my setup . Mind you perhaps you should also add in to your comparison the sheer power of the commandline MPlayer.
    Indeed and thankfully the versatile mencoder is also being revived thankfully.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxisfast View Post
    Indeed and thankfully the versatile mencoder is also being revived thankfully.
    Well, that would be interesting, but I thought MEncoder was just about defunct?
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

I use VLC and plays almost everything

Beans

I've been very happy with smplayer for a couple of years now. It has the additional advantage over VLC that the player engine is not integrated into the display software. Thus I can use mplayer2 instead of mplayer without smplayer batting an eyelash. (how to install mplayer2 from the repos)

@Linuxisfast
    I knew that the mplayer devs and the mplayer2 devs both thought that mencoder needed a complete rewrite, though I didn't think there were plans to do so any time soon. Like Andrew, I'd be curious to see a link.