Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Game maker for Linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Lightbulb Re: Game maker for Linux...

I have a Presario 4410CA with Ubuntu 8.04 and Windows XP...I installed The Game Maker in Wine and it did't work very good...

I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my friends Mac and the Game Maker emulated well...

You could try Wine... But a few problems I've noticed are:
    • The Ubuntu clipboard isn't understood by Wine
    • The resolution detection of the games aren't correct
    • The audio codecs for Ubuntu aren't understood by Wine

Another way...I guess, would be running Parallels for Ubuntu and installing Windows. But then, you'd have have to have a copy of Windows.

But it isn't updated for Ubuntu 8.04 yet...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Game maker for Linux...

I think its almost important to mention that Gamemaker really focuses on 2D games, not 3D games. It certainly isn't an all in one game creation solution. I am almost interested in what projects people are working on in this thread for game making because I'm working on one of my own that is kid friend and is being used in some schools and such. I think someone mentioned it already, but RPG maker is an excellent tool for RPGS, but again for 2D. I think its really tough to make a game maker to cover all the bases and there probably shouldn't be because then it loses focus. I've heard really good things about torques 2D game maker from Garage Games as well but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, has anyone else? Take care.
    -mike
    http://SandboxGameMaker.com - Free 3D Game Design Software For Kids And Adults
    http://PlatinumArts.Net - Main Free Game Homepage
    http://Doom3Coop.com Multiple Award Winning Doom 3 Coop Mod Last Man Standing

Beans

Smile Re: Game maker for Linux...

Actualy u should have seen how it ran on 2007... u would be amazed of progress with wine... sound may be the new sound server in ubuntu which actualy is a problem with a lot of programs... will probably be fixed in ubuntu 8.10... in october resolution problems have a half solution...
    the hor resolution has no probblems onli vertical vertical will work if you use the exact vertical resolution(of ur current display) in your room window height... or... you can configure wine to work on a virtual desktop and use the vertical resolution as the window heigh(titlebar wont be shown)... in full screen horizontal resolution does not work also... , avoid full screen, and resize...
    Last edited by Stratok; August 11th, 2008 at 03:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xxKiba View Post
    Yes! I've heard of Game Maker!
    LGM ( I assume "Linux Game Maker" )
    Lateral Game Maker, actually.

http://www.ismavatar.com/lgm/

Quote Originally Posted by zarquad View Post
    Lateral Game Maker, actually.

http://www.ismavatar.com/lgm/

Does someone tryed it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

There has been quite a bit of interest in this Gamemaker Software being ported to Linux, as well as claims by Yoyogames that it was at least being considered at some point in the future.

After testing the latest Gamemaker version through Wine, I can report that it does appear to work with certain limitations. Firstly the D3D is apparently unhappy when the window is full screened. Secondly, if you have registered the software it does not appear to accept that registration within Linux.

2d wise there appears to be no problem. Due to Gamemaker not actually compiling your code, simply attaching a executable runner, there appears to be no probs with your creations. After installing Ubuntu on a friends machine I had occasion to test his lads Gamemaker installation on it.

There are concerns I have with the use of Gamemaker software, firstly on a performance side, it is slow, regardless of if its being run in Windows or Linux. The spec of your machine is not proportionate to the quality of game you can produce. Secondly there are many, and in my opinion better products out there which are free. My background is in C and assembly, however recently Ive found the advantages of tackling projects with Python. In my opinion its very robust.

The last thing I would want to see would be an influx of impatient Gamemaker creators flood the Ubuntu community.

The majority of Gamemaker users are quite young, and the forums in which they populate, are full of insults, flame baiting and pranks. If you ever have the time, skip on over to the official site and check it out for yourself. I dont believe an influx of Linux converted Gamemaker users would be of benefit to the Ubuntu community nor Linux in general, and I believe these users are best suited to staying with Windows.
    Last edited by TimboUK; August 19th, 2008 at 12:53 AM.

Beans

Well I personally had a lot of fun with GM in Windows. I even had a game in progress that was coming along rather nicely. It's frustrating to me now, being in Linux, that there is no similar application that allows me (a non programmer who does not have the time to learn programming) to easily make games. Any suggestions as to what's the easiest way to make games in Linux currently?

Quote Originally Posted by xer0kill View Post
    Any suggestions as to what's the easiest way to make games in Linux currently?
    RPGds (like RPG Maker):
    Official English Website: www.rpgds.com
    Italian Website (my website)

Beans
    Distro

There is Alice but honestly, if you want to make good games learn to program
    REGISTERED UBUNTU USER - #25241
    I void warranties.
    Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xer0kill View Post
    Well I personally had a lot of fun with GM in Windows. I even had a game in progress that was coming along rather nicely. It's frustrating to me now, being in Linux, that there is no similar application that allows me (a non programmer who does not have the time to learn programming) to easily make games. Any suggestions as to what's the easiest way to make games in Linux currently?
    You cant really get any simpler than Python using PYgame. Its a very easy to learn language with a wicked community and a wealth of potential.

If you are looking for game design packages (rpg maker types), it does beg the question, why not consider using Windows for this type of development? Its always said to use the right tools for the right job, and for this type of development I think Windows platform is far better supported and catered for.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast