Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Beans

Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

All scripts published and discussed in this thread
    will work for the Asus EeePC 1015 PN only !!!

'See http://mtron.co.nr/projects/eee1015pn for up-to-date information'

Alternative solution: (Updated: 2011-08-05)
    FOR VERSION 10.10 and Linux Mint 11.04 Katya. Should work also for Ubuntu 11.04 (not tested)
    1. Install your Ubuntu system
    2. Update the system (restricted nvidia drivers, etc.)
    3. Download the acpi_call module from here: https://github.com/mkottman/acpi_call
    4. ... and rebuild it for the current kernel:
    Code:
    cd path_to_acpi_call
    make clean
    make 
    sudo insmod acpi_call.ko
    Replace 'path_to_acpi_call' with the correct path (path to the file acpi_call.ko).
    5. Save the following script for switching to the intel card before a boot. (execute: sudo Switch_intel.sh)
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Enable intel glx on Asus EeePC 1015pn 

# Check if we are root, else exit
    if [[ $EUID -ne 0 ]]; then
        echo "This script needs to be run as root"
        exit 1
    fi

# is the acpi module loaded?
    if lsmod | grep -q acpi_call; then
        echo "ACPI does not need to be loaded."    
    else
        echo "ACPI needs to be loaded."    
        cd path_to_acpi_call
        insmod acpi_call.ko
        sleep 3
    fi

# The call for the next time
    echo ""
    echo "Mode 1 is now set: After the next boot only the Intel chip is visible."
    echo "\OSGS 0x01" > /proc/acpi/call

echo ""
    echo "The 'update-alternatives' has been set"
    update-alternatives --set gl_conf /usr/lib/mesa/ld.so.conf
    ldconfig

# Very important: fiddle with glx and libgl
    if [ -f "/usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so" ] 
    then
            echo ""
        echo "The library 'libglx.so' has been deleted."
        sudo rm /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so
    else
            echo ""
        echo "The library 'libglx.so' doesn't exist and must therefore not be deleted."
    fi

echo ""
    echo "Finished! Push a button ..."
    read eingabe
    Replace 'path_to_acpi_call' with the correct path.

6. Save the following script for switching to the nvidia card before a boot (execute: sudo Switch_nvidia.sh)
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Disabe Intel Chip and enable nvidia on Asus EeePC 1015pn

# Check if we are root, else exit
        exit 1
    fi

else
        cd path_to_acpi_call
        insmod acpi_call.ko
        sleep 3
    fi

# The system is prepared such that the nvidia card is onlt visible
    echo ""
    echo "Mode 2 is now set: After the next boot only the Nvidia chip is visible."
    echo "\OSGS 0x02" > /proc/acpi/call

# Copy the libglx file into usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/
    # Without doing this, compiz does not work properly (I have no idea why) 
    if ! [ -f "/usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so.260.19.06" ] 
    then
       cp /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg/libglx.so.260.19.06 /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/
       chmod 644 /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so.260.19.06
       echo ""
       echo "The libglx has been copied"
    fi

# Copy also the nvidia_drv.so file into usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/
    # As above: compiz needs this (I have no idea why) 
    if ! [ -f "/usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so" ] 
    then
       cp /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg/nvidia_drv.so /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/
       chmod 644 /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
       echo ""
       echo "The nvidia_drv.so has been copied"
    fi

update-alternatives --set gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf
    ldconfig
    echo ""
    echo "update-alternatives ... and ... ldconfig"

# Very important: The link 'libglx.so' needs to be created
    if ! [ -f "/usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so" ] 
    then
       ln -s /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so.260.19.06 /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so
       echo ""
       echo "The libglx link has been set"
    else
       echo ""
       echo "The libglx link already exists"   
    fi

echo ""
    echo "Push a button ..."
    read eingabe
    You need to search the right name for the lib 'libglx.so...' and 'nvidia_drv.so' in the /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg/ directory.

That's it!

Notes
    0. When you start the laptop the first time, you probably get into the shell first because of an error (sorry, I cannot fix this). Execute either 'Switch_intel.sh' or 'Switch_intel.sh'. Reboot after, then everything should be fine.
    1. Note that you have to execute always the script 'Switch_intel.sh' whenever you want to boot and use the intel card. In the case of the nvidia card you must execute the script 'Switch_nvidia' only once for all other following 'future boots' with the nvida card.
    2. The scripts are written such you can call them from a starter of a panel. Don't forget to make the scripts executable.
    3. There is some output text, which comments all operations and which can be used to see what the system is doing.
    4. HDMI is perfectly working with Nvidia.

I hope that all this helps.

First, original email (January 29th, 2011 &nbsp

Hi all.

I bought just recently an Asus Eee PC 1015PN. For those who have an interest in this netbook and who want to install Ubuntu 10.10 32bit on it: It works quite well, almost out of the box! This is somewhat a report, but I have also a question with respect to the switch of graphic cards (see below)

- Wlan works (driver needs to be installed via LAN and additional hardware drivers)
    - Webcam works oob
    - Audio works oob (despite micro ... there is some installation to be done, see below)
    - Keyboard is very nice
    - Nvidia works (needs to be installed with additional hardware drivers)
    - With help of disper (http://willem.engen.nl/projects/disper/), the HDMI works perfectly!
    - USB is fast, three slots
    - Ubuntu can be installed just 'à coté' of Windows (pay attention with partitions though)
    - and so on ...

Some advices for installing Ubuntu are described here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...hines/Netbooks

However, there is only one issue for me, which needs still some work: Switching between the graphic cards, nvidia and intel.

On this site ...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...hines/Netbooks

... a small description is given about how to switch on the intel graphic card.

Code:
     git clone http://github.com/mkottman/acpi_call.git
     cd acpi_call
     make
     sudo insmod acpi_call.ko

echo "\OSGS 0x03" > /proc/acpi/call

#Set the intel driver in xorg.conf
         Section "Device"
         Identifier "Device0"
         Driver "intel"
         VendorName "Intel GMA 3150"
         BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
         EndSection

rm /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so
     ldconfig
    I followed all parts and rebooted the system. And indeed, I could boot into Ubuntu without no problems. The following commands output

Code:
    > lsmod | grep videodev
    videodev               43098  1 uvcvideo
    v4l1_compat            13359  2 uvcvideo,videodev

> lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation N10 Family DMI Bridge (rev 02)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation NM10 Family LPC Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8132 Fast Ethernet (rev c0)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
    04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [ION] (rev a2)
    04:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
    There is no Nvidia config panel and no visible 'signs' of the nvidia presence, althoug the chip is still visible (see list of lspci). The Optimus is also visible (lspci)

Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    So then, on the site (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...hines/Netbooks) it is written that one has to input the following in order to switch off the nvidia graphic card:

Code:
    sudo insmod acpi_call.ko
    echo "\_SB.PCI0.P0P4.DGPU.DOFF" > /proc/acpi/call
    I tried it out, and in the first seconds everything was fine. However, then the systems played nuts and got completely frozen so that I had to do a hard reset with a following loud klick of the hard disk. I tried the whole procedure two times but the system always freezes.

Can somebody help me? If needed, I have also all data asked on this site here: http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspo...s-project.html

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Last edited by nothingspecial; July 3rd, 2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Hello!

Most probably you got hit by the kslowd bug introduced in linux kernels from 2.6.35 onwards. See e.g. launchpad bugs #595764 or #662946

there are also numerous kernel bugs filled about this issue. See https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16265
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18802

You might want to try some of the suggested workarounds but i found that none of them works reliable. I ended up using the latest lucid kernel in maverick what works good

Beware that you'll need to install fitting alsa modules in this case and this will only work with the GMA3150 vga.

Hopefully 2.6.38 will fix this.
    Last edited by mtron; January 31st, 2011 at 05:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro

ok, as a follow-up on this i want to explain a bit more in-deph what i did to get this working in maverick.

first: (to avoid any confusion)

Hot switching of the intel vga and the nvidia vga is currently not possible. The reason is that the open source intel i915 driver can't be unloaded once it's running.

This is because it produces nasty memory leaks when rmmoding so the kernel devs "locked" the i915 module once its loaded. This might get fixed in the upcoming 2.6.38 but i havn't checked.

So the only way to switch vga's is to reboot.

If you want to use the nvidia vga there is no special action and acpi_call required. just use current maverick kernel and get the nvidia binary driver as described on the wiki.

The disadvantage is that the nvidia GT218 chip will draw a lot of power and shorten the battery life of your netbook to about 4 hours.

To save enery you can use the acpi_call module and use 2 calls to:
    - enable the intel GMA3150 for next boot
    - disable the nvidia chip

This method will double the battery life of the netbook. With turned off nvidia chip (and some other power tweaks) my Eee runs for approx 8 hours with normal surfing .

Unfortunately the acpi_call module triggers the kslowd bug in current maverick kernel so i used the kernel from lucid to work around this.

A short howto:

1.) get the kernel image, headers and alsa modules (either the 32bit or amd64 version, depending on your install)

-32 bit
    Code:
    wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/linux-headers-2.6.32-28_2.6.32-28.55_all.deb
    wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/linux-headers-2.6.32-28-generic_2.6.32-28.55_i386.deb
    wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/linux-image-2.6.32-28-generic_2.6.32-28.55_i386.deb
    wget https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audio-dev/+archive/ppa/+files/linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-28-generic_2.6.32-28.201101311053_i386.deb
    wget https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audio-dev/+archive/ppa/+files/linux-headers-alsa-driver-2.6.32-28-generic_2.6.32-28.201101311053_i386.deb
    -64 bit
    Code:
    wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/linux-headers-2.6.32-28_2.6.32-28.55_all.deb
    wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/linux-headers-2.6.32-28-generic_2.6.32-28.55_amd64.deb
    wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/linux-image-2.6.32-28-generic_2.6.32-28.55_amd64.deb
    wget https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audio-dev/+archive/ppa/+files/linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-28-generic_2.6.32-28.201101311053_amd64.deb
    wget https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audio-dev/+archive/ppa/+files/linux-headers-alsa-driver-2.6.32-28-generic_2.6.32-28.201101311053_amd64.deb
    2.) install the deb's

cd into the folder where you downloaded the kernel packages and install them with
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    3.) reboot in the new kernel, cd in the folder where you saved the acpi_call module and rebuild it for the current kernel:
    Code:
    cd /path/to/acpi_call
    make clean
    make 
    sudo insmod acpi_call.ko
    4.) now pass the 2 calls
    Code:
    sudo -s
    5.) check dmesg to see if it was successful
    dmesg | grep acpi_call
    Code:
    [  532.962061] acpi_call: Module loaded successfully
    [  535.966319] acpi_call: Calling \_SB.PCI0.P0P4.DGPU.DOFF
    [  536.021541] acpi_call: Call successful: 0x0
    [  536.021843] acpi_call: Calling \OSGS
    [  536.024617] acpi_call: Call successful: 0x1

If it worked create a script to preform those steps automatically and configure grub to boot the 2.6.32-28 as default grub-customizer makes this easy)

A very basic script for this would be:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Disabe Nvidia Chip and enable intel glx on Asus EeePC 1015pn

# check if we are root, else exit
    	exit 1
    fi

echo '\_SB.PCI0.P0P4.DGPU.DOFF' > /proc/acpi/call
    	#set intel xorg.conf
    	cd /etc/X11
    	cp xorg.conf.intel xorg.conf

# fiddle with glx and libgl
    	# fix: ln -s /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so.260.19.29 /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so
    	ldconfig
    	exit 0
    else
    	cd /path/to/acpi_call
    	insmod acpi_call.ko
    	sleep 3
    	#set intel xorg.conf
    	cd /etc/X11
    	# fiddle with glx and libgl
    	ldconfig
    	exit 0
    fi
    edit the line /path/to/acpi_call to reflect the full path on your system. Also note that i have 2 xorg.conf files one for nvidia (named xorg.conf.nvidia) and the other one for intel (named xorg.conf.intel) see attachment... place them in /etc/X11

another script i use that might be useful to you is to check current power consumption. it queries /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state and uses notify-osd to display current power usage. if it's around 600-700 mA you've successfully turned off the nvidia chip

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    POWER=$(grep rate /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state | cut  -c 25-32) && REMAINING=$(grep remaining /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state | cut  -c 25-34) && DISPLAY=:0.0 notify-send -t 6000 -i /usr/share/notify-osd/icons/gnome/scalable/status/notification-gpm-battery-100-charging.svg "Battery Information" "current power rate: $POWER \n remaining capacity: $REMAINING"
    i use a keyboard shortcut to run the script with a keypress (use gnome-keybinding-properties for this)

Cheers and Good Luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mtron; January 31st, 2011 at 10:03 PM.

Beans

mtron, thx for all this info.

Is it possible to choose the graphic card by just choosing the Kernel in the Grub menu? For example, if you want to use the nvidia choose entry No.1 otherwise entry No. 2. Is this possible?

Beans
    Distro

yes, that should be possible (at least in theory) That's a good idea actually

in this case you need to create a init.d script that checks if you are running the 2.6.35 kernel and if yes, copies the xorg.conf.nvidia to xorg.conf, sets the glx symlink and updates ld.so.conf

I'll try to create the necessary scipt tomorrow and report here if i got this working.

Cheers!

Beans

I have tried all what mtron told us on the top: I installed the Linux Kernel 2.6.32 into Maverick (now, I have the 2.6.35 and 2.6.32 one), executed the script and so on ... . During the last 3 days, I worked a lot with this Ubuntu Maverick 10.10 system (2.6.32 Kernel) AND ONLY WITH THE INTEL GPU and must recognise: It's really a perfect and very nice system! I doubled the battery life, the netbook does not become hot, the display brightness is still okay under sunny conditions, etc. - Thanks mtron.

So, what one has to do is to do all the steps mtron is describing on the top. And: If one always wants to work with the intel chip, one has always to execute the script after a boot. That's it.

By the way, I modified the script a bit (named Switch_intel.sh):

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Disabe Nvidia Chip and enable intel glx on Asus EeePC 1015pn

# check if we are root, else exit
        exit 1
    fi

else
        cd /path/to/acpi_call
        insmod acpi_call.ko
        sleep 3
    fi

# Set intel xorg.conf
    cd /etc/X11

# Fiddle with glx and libgl
    if [ -f "/usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so" ] 
    then
        echo "libglx.so has been deleted"
    fi

ldconfig

exit 0
    Don't forget to replace '/path/to/acpi_call' with the correct path. Execute the script with 'sudo Switch_intel.sh'

Note 1: For reading the current power consumption proposed by mtron one has to install libnotify-bin! However, one can also use:

Code:
    cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
    I measure the following mean values:

nvidia+intel: 1100mA - 1500mA
    intel: 750 - 850 mA

Note 2: I have noticed that whenever you put your netbook to sleep (closing netbook) and then back to life, the
    Nvidia chip is switched on again. Therefore, one has always to switch off the chip after having started the netbook. In this case, a

Code:
    is sufficient.
    Last edited by barthus; February 4th, 2011 at 08:56 PM.

Beans

Dull Screen
    I have an Asus Eee PC 1015PEB which hasn't the Nvidia chip, mores the pity, but it was exceptionally good value.

I get the same lsmod and lspci outputs as you but without this line
    04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [ION] (rev a2)
    Mine is maybe a far more simple problem than yours. How do you get a screen as bright as under the installed Win7 and Puppy linux, under Ubuntu 10:10? The brightness keys, Fn F5 & F6 give strange variable results but the max brightness is below that of the other OS'.
    Ubuntu 10.10, 11.04 & Pupeee Linux

Beans

Hi gregb49.

Quote Originally Posted by gregb49 View Post
    How do you get a screen as bright as under the installed Win7 and Puppy linux, under Ubuntu 10:10? The brightness keys, Fn F5 & F6 give strange variable results but the max brightness is below that of the other OS'.
    Have a look here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...%20PC%201015PN

There might be some info for you. For instance, for the 1015PN some stuff needs to be loaded. I hope that helps.

Beans

Hi barthus,

did you messure the power consumption with activated WIFI or without.
    Because i have, afer activation of the intel chip, a consumption of about 1.400mA but with active WIFI.

Greatings

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zylon View Post
    did you messure the power consumption with activated WIFI or without.
    Because i have, afer activation of the intel chip, a consumption of about 1.400mA but with active WIFI.

The measurement is done in almost idle state without the power cable plugged in. With WIFI, I have about ~100mV more. However, this all strongly depends on the circumstances. This is why I have written: 750-900 mA. It seems that with 1400 mA you still have the intel switched on! Did you use this command?

Code:

Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast