View Poll Results: Do you think ubuntu is getting worse with every release?

Voters
341. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 16.42%
  • No

236 69.21%
  • I don't know

49 14.37%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think ubuntu is getting worse with every release?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Do you think ubuntu is getting worse with every release?

There was some test done that showed that Ubuntu was slowing down since 7.04. So yes in that respect it is getting worse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    i'm not sure tabs, or a lack of them in nautilus has much to do with ubuntu, other than what's incuded in a releases repos.
    I see it differently, 8.10 has tabs in Nautilus ergo it's better than 8.04 which doesn't.
    Where the tabs come from or how they got there is really irrelevant to me as an end-user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think Ubuntu is getting better with every release. Sure, it's slowing down slightly, but it's also getting much easier to use.

I can understand how the following decisions may make people feel like it's getting worse:
    1. The depreciation of xorg.conf. Xorg.conf was an excellent configuration tool, but a real pain for noobs.
    2. Making Compiz enabled by default. Yeah, it looks cool, but it's probably the #1 reason why Ubuntu is getting slower. I liken this decision to the use of Aero by Microsoft. Although I think Ubuntu was more graceful with it's implementation of Compiz.
    3. PulseAudio, Things appear to be fixed now, but it was bad for a while.

In the end, partitioning a drive is much easier, hardware get's detected automatically, and things "just work." So, I think Ubuntu is getting better. I definitely don't think it's getting worse.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by verb3k View Post
    What do you say?

(Message to the moderators: I am not trying to bash ubuntu, I just want to know what people think on this subject.)
    It gets better every release for most people.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thelasko View Post
    I think Ubuntu is getting better with every release. Sure, it's slowing down slightly, but it's also getting much easier to use.

I can understand how the following decisions may make people feel like it's getting worse:
    1. The depreciation of xorg.conf. Xorg.conf was an excellent configuration tool, but a real pain for noobs.
    2. Making Compiz enabled by default. Yeah, it looks cool, but it's probably the #1 reason why Ubuntu is getting slower. I liken this decision to the use of Aero by Microsoft. Although I think Ubuntu was more graceful with it's implementation of Compiz.
    3. PulseAudio, Things appear to be fixed now, but it was bad for a while.

In the end, partitioning a drive is much easier, hardware get's detected automatically, and things "just work." So, I think Ubuntu is getting better. I definitely don't think it's getting worse.
    The main reason it gets slower is most likely the new Gnome version that comes with every single new Ubuntu release.

Each gnome version is better than the previous one, but might be a bit slower on older hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I definitely like Intrepid better than Hardy.. recognized all my laptop's hardware immediately. I have a few weird bugs with headphones and the ever-present ACPI bios bug, but all in all, much better.

Keep up the work, Canonical, and just say no to regression in updates!
    "We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works."—Douglas Adams

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsilly View Post
    i reckon it's going from strength to strength. I think intrepid is just about the best ubuntu i've used so far. I absolutely love it.sorry if that sounds a bit fanboyish, but that's about the measure of how i feel about it. I've installed it on both my desktop and our dell laptop, and also installed eeebuntu (which is based on intrepid) on the eee pc we got for the youngest for christmas. It really is the best eee distro there is imho. I honestly could not possibly be happier with my choice of os on all counts.

Merry christmas and a happy new year to all involved in bringing us this tremendous distro!
    +1
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Overall, I'd say Ubuntu is getting better. I just think the last two releases (8.x) have been really bad. I think the general trend before those releases has been positive though.

8.04 was WAY too early to start using PulseAudio. Sound was a major issue with it. 8.10 continued to have PulseAudio issues as well as some kernel issues. I've never used Kubuntu, but I hear it's been neglected.

Beans

Intrepid is the best version in the last three for me on my hardware. Two P-3 866 MHZ with 256 megs of ram and on my P-4 3.0 GHZ with 512 megs of ram it really flys.

My $0.02 worth, Kelean.

Beans
    Hidden!

I personally think it is getting better with every release in spite of the slowing, and bloating. Also with 8.10 (prehaps with Hardy too i didn't check) when you set effects to none, it essential switches the display from compiz to that meta... something or another. I noticed that when checking stats when having effects set to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhack View Post
    Overall, I'd say Ubuntu is getting better. I just think the last two releases (8.x) have been really bad. I think the general trend before those releases has been positive though.

8.04 was WAY too early to start using PulseAudio. Sound was a major issue with it. 8.10 continued to have PulseAudio issues as well as some kernel issues. I've never used Kubuntu, but I hear it's been neglected.
    Is not Kubuntu really just Ubuntu with a KDE interface? KDE is greatly improved (and prettier), but options still seem restricted compared to Gnome. It is more stable then its previous version.. but of course still has more issues then gnome i'd say.
    Last edited by MasterNetra; December 24th, 2008 at 08:20 PM.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast