Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Can I Test Webcams in LIVE Mode?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Question How Can I Test Webcams in LIVE Mode?

I want to install 12.04 LTS on a laptop strictly to control ZoneMinder, but I need to see if the cameras and video capture devices will work with Ubuntu before I do a hard install. I do not see an obvious way to test video devices in LIVE mode.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: How Can I Test Webcams in LIVE Mode?

Install Cheese if it's not on the live CD, and try it out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nenadlatinovic View Post
    Install Cheese if it's not on the live CD, and try it out.
    Cheese is apparently not installed and I obviously can't install programs in the demo mode.

Empathy (which is on the CD) can supposedly test webcams, but I see no configuration screen to do it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 56es8lTI View Post
    ...and I obviously can't install programs in the demo mode.
    Not necessarily the case. You can install applications in Live CD/DVD mode, but obviously these will be lost on rebooting.

Give it a go, or you could make a Live USB with persistance, always handy to have one of those around anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Question Re: How Can I Test Webcams in LIVE Mode?

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    or you could make a Live USB with persistance, always handy to have one of those around anyway.
    OK, next part, then:

If my boot order is CD> USB> C drive...

Can I install Ubuntu as a true, fully-functional system install from the Live/Install CD onto a removable USB drive without having to try to set up dual-boot on the C: drive, and then just plug in the USB drive whenever I want to boot to Ubuntu rather than the Win OS on the computer's C: drive?

Seems like this should work.

Beans

OK, next part, then:

If my boot order is CD> USB> C drive...

Can I install Ubuntu as a true, fully-functional system install from the Live/Install CD onto a removable USB drive without having to try to set up dual-boot on the C: drive, and then just plug in the USB drive whenever I want to boot to Ubuntu rather than the Win OS on the computer's C: drive?

Seems like this should work.
    Yes the boot order is correct and it should be possible, I haven't tried though and I'm not at all sure on how you would do it.
    Help me help you, by reading these suggestions before asking for help!
    This will earn you 1 point of respect and a cookie if you also show good manners.
    I'm currently running Kubuntu 13.04 on my laptop and Debian 7 on my desktop pc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by eternal243 View Post
    Yes the boot order is correct and it should be possible, I haven't tried though and I'm not at all sure on how you would do it.
    Doesn't it just ask you where you want the installation put from a list of the available drives during the first part of the install, or does it try to force a dual-boot if there's something already on the C: drive?

Beans

Doesn't it just ask you where you want the installation put from a list of the available drives during the first part of the install, or does it try to force a dual-boot if there's something already on the C: drive?
    Not sure, it might or it might not, as I told you I haven't tried but you are free to experiment with it if you like. I'm not sure the live cd allows installation directly to an usb-stick through the included installer. Also, be careful to not touch the windows-partition, since it could corrupt your windows installation. When you are installing from a live cd it will ask you where to put the boot record, and by default I think it will put it on the internal harddrive. I have no experience at all with USB installs, so maybe someone else can answer this.
    Help me help you, by reading these suggestions before asking for help!
    This will earn you 1 point of respect and a cookie if you also show good manners.
    I'm currently running Kubuntu 13.04 on my laptop and Debian 7 on my desktop pc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, there are two ways of doing it:

Use the USB Startup Disk Creator program on Ubuntu to create a LIVE-USB with Persistance - that's a part of the USB that can be used to save files and programs.

Or, run the Ubuntu installer. Use the "Something Else" option on the screen where it asks you how you want to install. Set the USB to filesystem Ext4 and its mount point to /

There's another button on that screen that allows you to set Advanced options. Click it and choose to install the bootloader to the USB instead.

I used that second method, admittedly that was in 2009 but I don't think it has changed much.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Install Mint/Ubuntu to a external harddrive or flash drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKL1tmn-xC0

NOTE: This is a full blown install and not just a "creating a persistent file". You need at least an 8GB.
    Last edited by nerdtron; August 31st, 2013 at 02:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast