Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I go back to Gnome?

Beans

Unhappy Can I go back to Gnome?

I am regretting upgrading to 11.04. I really dislike this Unity workspace. Especially for the workspaces which I use a lot. I used to be able to right click on a app and move it to another workspace and then it showed in my bottom toolbar and I could move there in 1 click. Now I have to click on the top button to bring up the Launcher, find the workspaces button, click on that and then drag to another space and then double click on that!! Swithching workspaces also takes multiple clicks instead of just one.
    Also AWN worked much better as an app launcher than this one and took up much less screen space.
    Can I change to the old Gnome, or do I have to do a reinstall of 10.10?

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Can I go back to Gnome?

Log out and choose Classic mode.

Beans

Thanks. I logged out but it did not offer me any option for Classic mode? Only my login or 'other'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Choose your user-id and at that moment before you complete your password, you have a drop down menu at the bottom of the screen.
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by archkidd View Post
    Thanks. I logged out but it did not offer me any option for Classic mode? Only my login or 'other'.
    Click on your username and then at the bottom of the screen it will give a Session option.

Gnome 2 won't be around forever (in fact, it will disappear in 11.10, because it's no longer supported by its own developers) so I'd advise that you should try and get used to Unity or switch to another desktop environment entirely (like LXDE, XFCE, KDE or Gnome 3)

Just a note: You don't have to click on the Ubuntu logo in the top-left corner to get the Launcher to appear, you can either press the Super key or just throw the mouse into the top-left corner of the screen.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BertN45 View Post
    Choose your user-id and at that moment before you complete your password, you have a drop down menu at the bottom of the screen.
    Thank you. That worked. I did not see the menu options at the bottom of the screen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Click on your username and then at the bottom of the screen it will give a Session option.

Gnome 2 won't be around forever (in fact, it will disappear in 11.10, because it's no longer supported by its own developers) so I'd advise that you should try and get used to Unity or switch to another desktop environment entirely (like LXDE, XFCE, KDE or Gnome 3)
    I have to tell you I am not going to get used to it. If you have 2 docs open in Libre you can't switch between them if they are both in full screen!! if you minimize them then all you get is a triangle! No tab at the bottom of the screen to show which is which. Trying to put them in 2 workspaces is ridiculously cumbersome.
    Honestly if the Unity developers want to see what they should have produced (and I hate to say this ) they should look at Windows 7 (esp. with a free program called Fences). I have to use that on a work computer and it is infinitely preferable to Unity!!
    I will have to go look for Gnome3 and find out about that. Thanks for that advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Archkidd, if you have 2 documents open and the one that is full screened ins in front of the other, hold down the Super key (usually the one with the Windows logo), this will bring out the, um, whatever the little doc bar on the side is called. Click on the libre office writer icon and it will display both documents. Click on the one you want.

To move something to another workspace, well, you can right click on the title bar go to "move to another works space" then tell it which workspace to go to. Or, if you will notice that at the bottom of the dock bar thingie on the side (what's that thing called anyway) that there are folded up icons on the bottom. put your mouse cursor anywhere on the bar and they will unfold. The first one is the desktop switcher. Click it, it will show you all your desktops (ok, that's an assumption, I haven't tried it with more than 4 desktops) put your mouse cursor on the window that you want to move, drag it to the desktop where you want it and let go, then right click on that desktop (or whichever one you want to go to) and it will immediately take you there.

Unity works fine. I mean if you don't want to learn it that's cool, but ultimately you will have to learn something.
    “If we use fuel to get our power, we are living on our capital and exhausting it rapidly. This method is barbarous and wantonly wasteful....” Nikola Tesla

Beans

[QUOTE=DarkDancer;10776406]Archkidd, if you have 2 documents open and the one that is full screened ins in front of the other, hold down the Super key (usually the one with the Windows logo), this will bring out the, um, whatever the little doc bar on the side is called. Click on the libre office writer icon and it will display both documents. Click on the one you want.

Thank you, I see how that works. BUT, it still takes a key press and 3 mouse clicks to achieve what Gnome does in 1 click on the tab bar! This is my major complaint with Unity. Everything I have tried takes 3 or 4 more movements than Gnome. The same with switching workplaces - 1 click in Gnome!
    I don't have any problems with learning a new system, but I didn't have to 'learn' Gnome it was intuitive. And the two docking bars at the top and bottom of the screen did not take up enough space to to justify this redesign. I have lost my immediate access to some reference files that I docked in the top bar and could access instantly regardless of what I had open. Can't do that in Unity. I will use 11.04 in Classic mode while I find a substitute.
    Thanks for replying and I glad that you like Unity. Obviously it was designed by smart people who must like the way it works. I am just not one of them.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by archkidd View Post
    I don't have any problems with learning a new system, but I didn't have to 'learn' Gnome it was intuitive.
    Gnome wasn't actually intuitive, it was just similar to Windows which is what you were already used to. If you look at any self-confessed "computer illiterate" person, you'll find that nothing in Gnome or Windows is actually "intuitive".

You know, you CAN install Docky or AWN to act as a bottom panel.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast