Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call for testing, Gwibber (Lucid and Maverick)

Call for testing, Gwibber (Lucid and Maverick)

Today is the day affectionately known as “Twitter’s OAuthpocalypse”. Twitter is shutting down basic auth completely, which Gwibber has relied on. So after today Twitter will cease to work for anyone that hasn’t updated to the OAuth enabled version of Gwibber. I have uploaded packages for both Maverick and Lucid to the ~ubuntu-desktop PPA for testing. We need to get an SRU out pretty quickly for Lucid.

Any testing would be greatly appreciated, please provide feedback on this list.

https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/+archive/ppa

Make sure you restart gwibber-service, you should be prompted to authorize Twitter.

Originally sent to the ubuntu-desktop mailing list on Tue Aug 31 2010

More...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Call for testing, Gwibber (Lucid and Maverick)

I'm not going to subscribe to the ubuntu-desktop mailinglist just to say this, so I hope you can read it here

The problem with the current implementation is that it completely disregards the advantage of OAuth, namely, that the user does not have to trust the application to not steal his/her password. For proper OAuth support, I suppose the browser should be opened with the correct URL (which I'll admit is not ideal) that the user can check.

Apart from that, it worked fine, except that I wasn't prompted to authenticate but had to manually open the accounts dialog. If more info is needed I suppose you'd need to send a PM as I'd get an email notification for that. Or allow me to report bugs somewhere

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi! I'm running Lucid x32 and Twitter works fine... On the other hand Facebook doesn't work anymore, I can't authorize the account, when I type my info as requested it says that Gwibber had a problem and that I should try again later. Any help with that? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Vinze View Post
    I'm not going to subscribe to the ubuntu-desktop mailinglist just to say this, so I hope you can read it here

The problem with the current implementation is that it completely disregards the advantage of OAuth, namely, that the user does not have to trust the application to not steal his/her password. For proper OAuth support, I suppose the browser should be opened with the correct URL (which I'll admit is not ideal) that the user can check.

Apart from that, it worked fine, except that I wasn't prompted to authenticate but had to manually open the accounts dialog. If more info is needed I suppose you'd need to send a PM as I'd get an email notification for that. Or allow me to report bugs somewhere
    Bug filed: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/gwibber/+bug/627871
    Linux User #381008
    Ubuntu User #22532

Beans
    Hidden!

Is there any reason to use the ppa:ubuntu-desktop/ppa versions of gwibber (2.31.91~bzr813-0ubuntu1 and 2.30.2~bzr742-0ubuntu1) instead of the ppa:gwibber-daily/ppa version (2.31.91~bzr833-0ubuntu1~daily1)?

jason.

Beans

At the time the oauth branch hadn't been merged yet, so the dailies didn't have that change. It should now. Also the dailies only helps test trunk, which is very different than what is in Lucid, and we do need testing for the stable release as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

First launch after the update showed 5 "Broadcast Account" dialogs.
    After closing them all and restarting Gwibber the dialog did not reappear and had to open it manually.
    Furthermore it works fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grone1985 View Post
    Hi! I'm running Lucid x32 and Twitter works fine... On the other hand Facebook doesn't work anymore, I can't authorize the account, when I type my info as requested it says that Gwibber had a problem and that I should try again later. Any help with that? Thanks!
    The facebook problem is a separate issue, and not new unfortunately. That is facebook throttling Gwibber users. They allocate a number of requests per day on an application level, not user. So Gwibber is frequently over that allocation, which means they reject all users requests not just the ones that are over over the allocation. We are trying to find a good solution and have already optimised our requests as much as we think. We may need to start tracking how aggressive users are and limit it in the client, which would be quite a bit of work. Basically when you use up your own fair share of the allocation, we prevent gwibber from making more requests until the next day.

Anyway we look at it, it isn't great.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fluteflute View Post
    The advantage of OAuth is the password isn't stored locally in the application, the authorization is managed by the web service and the client application just stores the key provided by the service. If a user revokes it with the web service, the client can't use it.

Beans

I missed the small save-button in the account preferences and thought I had found a bug first. It's not very obvious that you have to save first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast