Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New PC Recommendations

Beans

Re: New PC Recommendations

Ok I've only gone to the Elara site so far and I've gone over your budegt by 50 euros because I selected a 104 euro SSD, if you remove the SSD and use a normal hard drive or an existing hard drive you have it will come in under budget.

Now what you could do is comapare the same components on the other sites to see who is cheaper. To assemble the system for you I don't think they will charge much. It's a kickass build by the way, you could always add a dedicated GPU in future if you wish as the PSU is more than enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Sorry, have not gotten round to it yet, hopefully soon. Hope you are not in to big of a rush.

Hehe, I reckon a lot of Bavarians don't consider themselves to be German. This one guy that lives here is quite adamant that he's Bavarian & not German
    I know somelike that from Leeds... keeps insisting he's a Yorkshireman, not an Englishman

Beans
    Distro

Ok I've only gone to the Elara site so far and I've gone over your budegt by 50 euros because I selected a 104 euro SSD, if you remove the SSD and use a normal hard drive or an existing hard drive you have it will come in under budget.

Now what you could do is comapare the same components on the other sites to see who is cheaper. To assemble the system for you I don't think they will charge much. It's a kickass build by the way, you could always add a dedicated GPU in future if you wish as the PSU is more than enough.
    Hey, really appreciate the time and effot on this from you! There's no mad rush at all so don't be concerned with that.

Okay, so it would appear that yourself and the poster who put this up have given it some thought. Do they correspond at all? I'm not technically savvy enough to know what he/she has suggested compared with yours.... they are right though that the emphasis on photography editing is my main focus... my cursory reading between SSD/HDD would suggest that SSD trumps HDD and for the extra dollar I'd be happy with that.

In terms of assembly, is it likely that the distributor of all these parts will do it for me? Is that how it generally works? I hope that's not takign advantage of your good nature and contributions so far.... looking forward to your reply

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    The shipping is not the problem (plenty of remailers for that), the thing is they don't accept foreign cards, you need to have one from an american bank And yes, i know people who went and opened one just for that, get a savings account with visa debit card or something.

I find it simpler to purchase parts in Amazon, just make sure your remailer and your seller are not in the same State... horrible taxes.

Now what the OP needs can be done quite cheaply. It appears to be image processing/editing, so lets throw some nice 4g+ of value ram and a modern processor. I'm betting something ivybridge or sandybridge will do just fine, no games no need for discrete card.

So my advise would be:
    An I5 with an intel board, I7 or I3 depending on budget, at least 4g of ram, perhaps 8g depending on budget.

Example:
    MB H67 90$ http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Desktop-...dp/B004Q7JRJI/
    CPU I5 200$ http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2500K...dp/B004EBUXHQ/
    RAM 8g 37$ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N8GVUY/
    Hey, thanks very much for the reply on this... appreciated. I have partly responded in a follow up to another post. You can see it here and I hope that explains where I'm at with this.... cheers again...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cozski View Post
    Okay, so it would appear that yourself and the poster who put this up have given it some thought. Do they correspond at all?

In terms of assembly, is it likely that the distributor of all these parts will do it for me? Is that how it generally works?
    Similar but I listed the newer Ivy Bridge cpu instead of the older Sandy Bridge. The motherboard I listed is also of a higher speck using the Z77 chipset.

That depends entirely on the dealer, some will assemble it for you at a small fee (some do it for free) while others would not do it at all.

Beans
    Distro

Similar but I listed the newer Ivy Bridge cpu instead of the older Sandy Bridge. The motherboard I listed is also of a higher speck using the Z77 chipset.

That depends entirely on the dealer, some will assemble it for you at a small fee (some do it for free) while others would not do it at all.
    Okay, well thanks for this.... I'm going to take the specs and contact thm and see what's possible... I really appreciate the time you've taken to give me a decent recommendation... sincerely I'll let you know how I get on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cozski View Post
    Okay, well thanks for this.... I'm going to take the specs and contact thm and see what's possible... I really appreciate the time you've taken to give me a decent recommendation... sincerely I'll let you know how I get on.
    Cool stuff, I would like to know what they have to say.

Beans

IF you havent looked at Apple yet I would consider taking a look at a iMac or MacBook Air. They are lower cost then in the past and perform top notch..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    IF you havent looked at Apple yet I would consider taking a look at a iMac or MacBook Air. They are lower cost then in the past and perform top notch..
    I would not touch an iMac purely due to having very little upgrade path should you ever want to do that in future. Then for a diyer like myself the bew macbooks with are almost impossible to work on yourself should you ever want to replace a battery, lcd panel etc. Once out of warranty you are gonna pay a hefty apple tax if something goes wrong.

That's just me, for most people they should be fine though.

Beans

I would not touch an iMac purely due to having very little upgrade path should you ever want to do that in future. Then for a diyer like myself the bew macbooks with are almost impossible to work on yourself should you ever want to replace a battery, lcd panel etc. Once out of warranty you are gonna pay a hefty apple tax if something goes wrong.

That's just me, for most people they should be fine though.
    The coming 21inch iMacs supposedly coming this month has been reported impossible to upgrade. They have ram chips and such fused to the motherboard and such. However the 27" models coming next month have been reported to both RAM and HDD upgradable and IIRC you will have 4 ram slots -vs- two on the 21 inch model. Yet knowing both facts I am aware of their lack of upgradability. I personally recommend you get what you want in them from the factory and dont worry about upgrading any internal components. The price on the Air and iMacs have came down reasonably in comparison to the performance boost they have received. Two years ago I would have LOL at the thought of a Air book due to poor performance, but with this joker now equiped with a dual core 1.8Ghz i5 and Intel 4000 graphics, 128MB SSD(flash as they call it) and 4GB DDR3-1600 its smoking fast. Mine is just the base line 13inch model at 1199.00. But my point is that I compared it to ASUS and other makers of the Ultra Books and its slightly higher about 100-200 bucks, but its not infected with Win8. OSX these days is SOOO much like modern Linux desktops but with commercial support. As far as the iMacs, well I look at them as I would a Laptop hardware wise, but they come with the high end Quad Core i7s, 8GB DDR3-1600 and nVidia Graphics baseline.. For about 1200 bucks, its a lot of PC for the money and they are high quality items. Even the stinking packaging they come in is to nice to through away.
    But each their own. I am not pushing Macs on anyone, but just wanted to keep everyone aware their is an alternative to Win and Lin. OSX is so close to modern Lin DE's its kind of funny..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast