Thread: Upgrading Firefox

Beans

Upgrading Firefox

I have Firefox 3.0, and I want to upgrade to 3.5. But the website only has a .tar.bz2 file, and I don't know what to do with it.

I know I sound like a 5 year old that just discovered Linux, but I need help.

Beans

Re: Upgrading Firefox

go to system > admin > synaptic package manager
    You can install it there, in repo's it only beta 4, but im sure it will get update to the full verson soonish
    Personal i would wait till ubuntu 9.10 before running it, but it up to you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

3.5 is already in the proposed repo's for testing so my guess it will be available as an update very soon.

3.5 beta4 runs 100% no crashes. Just some themes and addons not caught up yet. Also it does not mess up your regular FF install. It merely copies your profile directory to one of it's own.

For info on proposed click the backports link below.

Beans

Okay, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You could still use the tar.gz downloaded off the website. Just extract it to a folder, cd to it and run ./firefox. Off you go!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Go for it in the jaunty proposed repos, where the 3.5 final is available; just enable those repos in Synaptic or Software sources.

As philinux says, some add-ons have not yet caught up, but even some of those (eg Tab Mix Plus) are available as new beta versions which appear to run faultlessly in 3.5. Go to the add-on's own webpage and have a look around for those.

You can run v3.0.11 and v3.5 side by side without any problems at all in my experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by Anonono View Post
    I have Firefox 3.0, and I want to upgrade to 3.5. But the website only has a .tar.bz2 file, and I don't know what to do with it.

I know I sound like a 5 year old that just discovered Linux, but I need help.
    You might try "ubuntuzilla. It installs the final 3.5, and watches for updates. I have used for a week now with zero problems. Here is the web site to get ubuntuzilla.

HTML Code:
    http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/
    Good Luck!
    The two most common elements in the world are hydrogen and stupidity.