Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE Gets Unity Like Interface In HomeRun Launcher

Beans

Re: KDE Gets Unity Like Interface In HomeRun Launcher

I don't see any major issues with it based on the links but I guess the proof of the pudding will be in its consumption.
    This account is not active.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

But, as always with KDE, they add and cultivate that little extra touch of bad taste. It's not Unity, it's Kunity.

Beans

See, the biggest issue I have with Unity is not Unity itself, but the inexplicable attitude on the part of the Gnome Project to go against the very sacrosanct element of choice.

If Gnome had made Unity an optional UI, that'd have been fine. But no... they said that would be the new interface, and essentially (don't know how else to interpret it but) F.U. if you don't like it, 'cuz that's how it's going to be. And I will not tolerate nor forgive being held hostage like that.

Now, hopefully the KDE Project will be sensible, and implement a Unity / iOS-type of UI, but only make it an option which one may choose to enable and use, if and only if the user wants to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thumbs down Re: KDE Gets Unity Like Interface In HomeRun Launcher

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    See, the biggest issue I have with Unity is not Unity itself, but the inexplicable attitude on the part of the Gnome Project to go against the very sacrosanct element of choice.

If Gnome had made Unity an optional UI, that'd have been fine. But no... they said that would be the new interface, and essentially (don't know how else to interpret it but) F.U. if you don't like it, 'cuz that's how it's going to be. And I will not tolerate nor forgive being held hostage like that.

Now, hopefully the KDE Project will be sensible, and implement a Unity / iOS-type of UI, but only make it an option which one may choose to enable and use, if and only if the user wants to.
    And yet you can run gnome-shell or unity on gnome3.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Well, almost any other widget or effect they have in KDE is optional and configurable, so I have no doubt this will be too

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BarfBag View Post
    Just as KDE was beginning to win me back...
    KDE was winning you back or was Unity pushing you towards it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    If they force it on everyone, that's bad news. One of the main reasons I like KDE is that it's not like Unity and more like the traditional desktop.
    I don't think it's in the project's DNA to "force" a design decision on users.

Years ago when KDE was in the early, awkward 4.0-4.1 stage, I kept hearing KDE developers talk about the new desktop paradigm that was coming and how they were building KDE for it. So finally I asked some of them, what this big new paradigm is that they're preparing for. The response I got was basically, "We don't know -- and that's the point." In other words, they built a system that would be ready for the new desktop paradigm -- whatever it might end up being.

This is why I cringe a little bit whenever someone says KDE is more "windows-like" or "traditional", because that really misses the point. Yes, the default setup is very traditional/windows-like, but its designed so that any user can make it into whatever very easily.

This new menu/launcher is just another tool in that toolbox.

Beans

Their approach seems alot more sensible that then gun-ho way Shuttleworth went about it. Alienating a large section of your userbase is not a sensible thin to do.I like the look of unity. But I don't like the Dash for finding out what apps are installed on my systems and the software centre takes too long to load. With a bit of work those things could be changed.
    Last edited by mr john; November 15th, 2012 at 06:28 AM.

Beans

The fact that it's like an optional 'plugin' is pretty cool. Those who want it can have it and those that don't can just carry on as per usual.

Beans

The standard kde menu, kickoff, is tabbed and has a search bar and many of the same features. The annoying thing about kickoff is that the tabs aren't editable. It is also designed on the traditional list style of menu. This new menu obviously has similarities to unity but could also be seen as a icon/explorer layout of kickoff which predates unity.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast