Page 6 of 299 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Perfect, thx.

A mirror here

My only problem is that I can't change the opacity, it seems that the global variables aren't working for me
    Last edited by kpolice; September 22nd, 2006 at 01:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Tried using the .deb file. Here's what I get:

"Error - The Application "gnome-panel" has quit unexpectedly."

and

"Error - I've detected a panel already running, and will now exit."

This happens over and over despite doing 'Close' and 'OK'. Tried kill -9 on the processes and they just restart over and over. :-/

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Robor View Post

and

This happens over and over despite doing 'Close' and 'OK'. Tried kill -9 on the processes and they just restart over and over. :-/
    Okay... After I installed the .deb and rebooted I was getting the errors above. I did an 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade' and got a bunch of updates. Now when I log in I get my desktop with no errors but I don't have the 'Mac-style Menu Bar' either. :-/ Here's what I did...

1. I downloaded the .deb file from the link in this thread
    2. I did a 'dpkg -i libgtk2.0-0_2.8.20-0ubuntu1_i386.deb'
    3. It ran for a short bit and finished with no output/errors
    4. Rebooted
    5. When my gnome-panel launched I saw the bar at the bottom but it didn't finish and I got into a loop of messages saying gnome-panel detected a panel already running and was exiting. All I could do is ctrl-alt-f9 out and I think I did 'sudo gdm stop'
    6. I did apt-get update & apt-get upgrade and it said libgtk2.0-0 2.8.20-0ubuntu1 needed updated. I allowed it to update.
    7. I did a gdm restart and was able to log in and got my desktop but with the regular gnome-panel menu bar at the bottom (not sure if it matters but I use only 1 panel instead of the default 2)
    Last edited by Robor; September 22nd, 2006 at 10:16 PM.

Beans

Robor: I do not know why this might affect your panel, other than the menu bar (default panel menu in Ubuntu with 3 menus). There is some issue with that apparently, but I'm not sure what - search this thread I guess!

I do know, however, that when you do an upgrade, the old version is automatically reinstalled. I do not know how to overcome this without increasing the version number, and I don't really want to do that.

I apologise for my inexperience with building deb packages!

Also, the menu bar only appears at the top when an application is running, so it won't be there when you first log in.
    Last edited by flargen; September 22nd, 2006 at 11:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by flargen View Post
    Robor: I do not know why this might affect your panel, other than the menu bar (default panel menu in Ubuntu with 3 menus). There is some issue with that apparently, but I'm not sure what - search this thread I guess!

I do know, however, that when you do an upgrade, the old version is automatically reinstalled. I do not know how to overcome this without increasing the version number, and I don't really want to do that.

I apologise for my inexperience with building deb packages!

Also, the menu bar only appears at the top when an application is running, so it won't be there when you first log in.
    I have no idea what's wrong. I just applied your .deb and rebooted and the gnome-panel got into a loop. I did some googleing around on the error but didn't find anything recent that was similar to my problem.

No worries here though. Thanks for the .deb. I'm glad it worked for some people here. I looked through this thread and the original linked by the OP but no help here (that I could find). I would've liked to see the menu bar working on my system but it's okay. Maybe someone will find a fix or have another deb or update of this thing. It's really slick looking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

and

Your gnome-panel may have turned on the "menu bar" applet, which is incompatible with mac menubar.

Try to run gnome-panel with environment variable GTK_MENUBAR_NO_MAC=1, then remove the "menu bar" applet, restart panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

No worries here though. Thanks for the .deb. I'm glad it worked for some people here. I looked through this thread and the original linked by the OP but no help here (that I could find). I would've liked to see the menu bar working on my system but it's okay. Maybe someone will find a fix or have another deb or update of this thing. It's really slick looking.
    Some problems can't be fixed - it's about how apps use the menubar widget. The patch can't change their code.

BTW gnome-panel 2.14 has been confirmed to work fine without the "menu bar" applet.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Question Re: Mac-style Menu Bar for GTK and Java/Swing applications!

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Your gnome-panel may have turned on the "menu bar" applet, which is incompatible with mac menubar.

Try to run gnome-panel with environment variable GTK_MENUBAR_NO_MAC=1, then remove the "menu bar" applet, restart panel.
    This is probably a stupid question but how do I go about doing that? I know I can kill and relaunch 'gnome-panel' from the command line but how do I give it the variable? Do I edit a file or use a switch?

Thank you for helping the noob here.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

This is probably a stupid question but how do I go about doing that? I know I can kill and relaunch 'gnome-panel' from the command line but how do I give it the variable? Do I edit a file or use a switch?

Thank you for helping the noob here.
    Okay, I figured out that I just needed to remove 'Menu Bar' from my panel. I did this, reran the .deb file, did a killall gnome-panel, restarted the panel, and the same thing happens - gnome-panel restarting loop. Still not working here...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

there's no need to reinstall the deb, did you remove the menubar from the panel? And the panel restarting can be temporarily disabled from the sessions properties, if you remove the menubar you dont need to use any GTK_MENUBAR_NO_MAC=1. I tried using the panel with the menubar on it using GTK_MENUBAR_NO_MAC=1 but no go for me although I don't use that menu anyways.
    If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent.
    Isaac Newton

Page 6 of 299 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast