Thread: (In(?))human censoriousness?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

(In(?))human censoriousness?

I'm new here, but not to Linux nor Life.

I joined these fora in the hope that I could both give and recieve help of a technical nature (I think I'm going to have some answers, or questions on screen blanking with all-in-one IBM NetVistas) but as a newbie I thought I'd check out the social side first...

You have some good going discussions here, with much interesting input.

...but.

There is IM(not entirely)HO far too much censorship masquerading as "moderation" going on.

I realise that this is a privately run forum, whose management is entirely in the hands of its owner.

I apreciate that the ubuntu philosophy, with which this forum associates itself, is inclusive and opposed to attacks on individuals or groups.

...however, closing threads because they have introduced uncomfortadle ideas does not promote truth, honesty or the ubuntu principle.

Some arbitrary facts:

Less than one angel dances on the average pinhead.

The land which is now Israel was not empty in 1947.

Poland has not always been in the same place.

St. Cyril built a custom alphabet for the Russian language.

Ubuntu should be a force of enlightenment, spreading both knowledge and the tools to expand it where previously there was only darkness. It cannot do this if robust discussion is stifled merely for failing to give way to points of view which are either popular(ly "correct") or maintained in direct contradiction to evidence.

If someone is espousing what you regard as errant tosh it is far, far better to tell them so honestly than to shut up or say "yeah, whatever" lest a moderator stomp on a good-going conversation.

Censorship is almost always worse than that which it censors, and even when unused it can have a most unhealthy chilling effect on those who self censor in fear.

Beans

Re: (In(?))human censoriousness?

These forums are primarily a support forum. We do offer the Cafe and the backyard for other discussion. But it is not a free for all. That restriction is however not covert.We are open with our policy.And we clearly state that these are a moderated forum.
    Our policy also states the action we will take if posts or threads breach our stated rules.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    These forums are primarily a support forum. We do offer the Cafe and the backyard for other discussion. But it is not a free for all. That restriction is however not covert.We are open with our policy.And we clearly state that these are a moderated forum.
    Our policy also states the action we will take if posts or threads breach our stated rules.
    No gripe with the honest and open way that the moderation policy is presented nor with the excellent facilities for discussing its operation - here we are! - just an observation that the "unmoderated" Backyard is scarcely less moderated than elsewhere and a suggestion that perhaps it might be healthier for the whole forum if ther was one small space where people could be open and honest to the extent of revealing their inner beasts without fear of chilling censorship.

None of the "injured parties" called "Hold!" in the recently closed Lebanon or Religion threads and their viewpoints have been silenced just as effectively as those from the "offensive" side.

Censorship is a blunt instrument which defies subtle implimentation; it is good to send the hot-headed to the Backyard to sort their differences where only those that care will hear, but please, let those differences be fully worked out rather than shutting everyone up at their most heated when the wounds are most likely to fester. Left alone most disputes will fizzle out or resolve to an agreement to disagree in short order.

Moderating a busy forum is not easy, but just like *nix pagers (and much else):

Less is More.

(1 moderation event in 8 years on my LUG's mailing list...
    (...and many peacemaking beers shared ))

Beans

There are many places in www available for the discussions you are referring to.We just simply do not see the need for them in Ubuntu Forums. Our primary purpose is support for Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

There are many places in www available for the discussions you are referring to.We just simply do not see the need for them in Ubuntu Forums. Our primary purpose is support for Ubuntu.
    Fair enough, but topic drift and the occaisional argument are inevitable...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fluffnik View Post
    Fair enough, but topic drift and the occaisional argument are inevitable...
    Absolutely, but I think staff myself included maybe should employ thread splitting more when threads get hijacked or drift off topic.This way we can be fair to all concerned.However some threads just need to die.
    I will discuss this with staff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Absolutely, but I think staff myself included maybe should employ thread splitting more when threads get hijacked or drift off topic.This way we can be fair to all concerned.However some threads just need to die.
    I will discuss this with staff.
    Cheers!

I think having somewhere like the Backyard where people can let off steam is an excellent idea, I just think it might be an even more effective safety valve if it was left to its own devices a little more.

Ultimately it's a tough call for you folks, as no policy is going to be perfect in every circumstance...

...and you're all doing a pretty good job already. 8)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fluffnik View Post
    Cheers!

I think having somewhere like the Backyard where people can let off steam is an excellent idea, I just think it might be an even more effective safety valve if it was left to its own devices a little more.

Ultimately it's a tough call for you folks, as no policy is going to be perfect in every circumstance...

...and you're all doing a pretty good job already. 8)

"Blowing Off Steam" can have negative consequences.... Stuff happening in the backyard will at some point begin to creep out of the backyard in the form of new member-member tensions and loss of professionalism in our technical support areas.

As previously stated, our primary goal here is to create a friendly, efficient, and effective technical support facility for Ubuntu. Having a "lounge" area for off-the-wall talk is a good way for members to relax and know each other better.

This topic has been discussed by the staff quite a bit, and our general concensus is that it's not healthy to allow overly heated topics.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden