Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time limits on forum actions

Beans

Time limits on forum actions

There are restrictions on using search (15 sec) and report functions (30 sec). In other words, one has to wait 15 or 30 sec before using those functions again.
    But there are no restrictions on posts. A "person" seems to be able to make as many posts as possible without any interval needing to elapse. Or, if I'm wrong, can't the interval be increased?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Time limits on forum actions

There's a 20 second time limit on posts, in the cafe games anyway.. So I'm guessing its implemented on the whole forum. Why the need for an increase in the limit? just curious.. Honestly, I like it the way it is..
    -.- -.. .- -. . ....-

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kdane4 View Post
    There's a 20 second time limit on posts, in the cafe games anyway.. So I'm guessing its implemented on the whole forum. Why the need for an increase in the limit? just curious.. Honestly, I like it the way it is..
    I don't visit the cafe games section but I have the impression that spammers try to make as many posts as possible in the shortest possible time before they're caught.
    Anyway, I guess it's a matter of priorities.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

There is a time limit on posting as well.

Beans

The delays serve their purpose well, I see no pressing reason to change.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@vasa1, my apologies for not getting back to you when you raised this in a pm discussion we had about another matter. You can blame absent-mindedness on my part!

The 20 second time limit on repeat posting was implemented long before my time as a staff member. My guess (and only a guess) was that it was introduced to prevent duplicate posting at a time when hardware problems were slowing the forum down to a crawl and people were re-posting because they thought their posts had disappeared. It's still useful and does help to prevent flooding by over-enthusiastic posters - 20 seconds seems about right.

Your point about slowing spammers down is a good one, but if we extended the time to make an appreciable difference to spammers who flood post, we would seriously inconvenience innocent members of the forum. Spam flooding probably mostly comes from spambots, which are infinitely patient anyway and would simply go on repeat posting whatever time limit we imposed.

A few weeks ago we implemented a measure which had a dramatic effect on spammer registrations, and possibly kept (most of) the bots out, just leaving the human spammers doing their thing. I didn't post a public announcement of this describing what we had done because walls have ears and the enemy could be listening! Any details could be useful to the spam herders. So at the moment, spam is still a problem but the rapid-fire spam posters are less evident - at least that's my impression - emphasis on "at the moment". It's war of attrition between us, the good guys, and the spammer bad guys.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    I didn't post a public announcement of this describing what we had done because walls have ears and the enemy could be listening! Any details could be useful to the spam herders. ...
    Absolutely!
    And thanks for the considerate explanation

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    The delays serve their purpose well, I see no pressing reason to change.
    See how many posts "jerseys9o72c" has squeezed in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    See how many posts "jerseys9o72c" has squeezed in.
    It's been my understanding that if a spam report is done on one post, staff do a quick check on all of that spammers posts and deletes them all . So reporting one is effectively reporting all. That keeps reports to staff down too.

I could have misunderstood, if so, I will check the spammers posts for more.

OT: "spammer" needs to be added to the dictionary. It's been around a long time, but is still being red-lined. or I am spelling it wrong.
    Last edited by critin; September 7th, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Hidden!

It's fairly quick and easier for the forum staff (mods and admin) to find all the posts a spammer has made, and subsequently move them all out of sight. Reporting the first spam by a user that you find is usually sufficient.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast