Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred applications in 12.04?

Beans

Preferred applications in 12.04?

I was looking at the community documentation on how to adjust the preferred mail application, and it said it would be under "personal". But it is not there, there is only 6 settings under personal and none of them are preferred applications. This leads me to believe that the process for changing preferred applications has change with the new Unity interface. So... how do I change the preferred apps in Ubuntu 12.04?

Beans

Re: Preferred applications in 12.04?

system settings-details-default applications

Beans

Smile Re: Preferred applications in 12.04?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMTtakeover View Post
    That did the trick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you. It may seem so obvious but with the demise of gnome and the push of Unity these simple things can seem so daunting!

M.

Beans

What about adding an app to the preferred lists that is not already in the list? How would someone go about doing that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another minor problem is that there is no way to set preferred terminal application (I wanted to set terminator as default). In lucid there was a choice for the terminal app.

Anyway. You can always find a workaround and so did I:
    I just disabled the default terminal keyboard shortcut and created another with the same keys (Alt+Ctrl+T) for Terminator.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheMTtakeover View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linux12 View Post
    That did the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdc1969 View Post
    Thank you. It may seem so obvious but with the demise of gnome and the push of Unity these simple things can seem so daunting!

M.
    Actually it's not obvious to me. I can't find it. Where is the "system" menu? Clicking on Dash home gives me a filter option but I can't find out how to followup with the "steeings-details-default applications option.

I see a number places showing how to get to this place, but not of them work in my default 12.04 installation.

The first I tried was:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Op...owser_in_GNOME

(Go to System -> Preferences -> Preferred Applications) But I can't find it there either.

Thanks in advance if someone will give a clear set of steps of how to get the the Preferred Applications under a default installation of Ubuntu 12.04.

If I find a method I'll come back and bring it to the community for others that are stuck in this matter.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans

[QUOTE=apollothethird;12226892]Actually it's not obvious to me. I can't find it. Where is the "system" menu? ... ... ... ... if someone will give a clear set of steps of how to get the the Preferred Applications under a default installation of Ubuntu 12.04.

It wasn't obvious to me either, but I was eventually able to check the default browser setting by right-clicking a html file and selecting "Properties". On the "Open with" tab there is an option to change the current default program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[QUOTE=jimberry;12247562]
    Quote Originally Posted by apollothethird View Post
    Actually it's not obvious to me. I can't find it. Where is the "system" menu? ... ... ... ... if someone will give a clear set of steps of how to get the the Preferred Applications under a default installation of Ubuntu 12.04.

It wasn't obvious to me either, but I was eventually able to check the default browser setting by right-clicking a html file and selecting "Properties". On the "Open with" tab there is an option to change the current default program.
    Thanks, Jimberry. I'm surprised I didn't think of that. I have used it many times for other file extensions. This worked great!

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans

And I have now discovered the answer to the original question .

It seems the "Default Applications" has been moved a little deeper into the hierarchy.

Try
    System Settings>System>Details>Default Applications

instead of

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast