Page 87 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

OK the guys from Vmware called me and said the reason it says" Virtual ethernet failed
    Unable to stop services for VMware Server" is because there server is having troubles.

But now can anyone tell me why I have to type " sudo /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl " every time I want to run the Vm server?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Repent View Post
    OK the guys from Vmware called me and said the reason it says" Virtual ethernet failed
    Unable to stop services for VMware Server" is because there server is having troubles.

But now can anyone tell me why I have to type " sudo /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl " every time I want to run the Vm server?
    Is there a solution to this apart from uninstalling and reinstalling VMWare server? When I try to run VMWare server I get told to run the config.pl, but I can't because of the "unable to stop services" problem.

Cheers Aggie

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Aggienator View Post
    Is there a solution to this apart from uninstalling and reinstalling VMWare server? When I try to run VMWare server I get told to run the config.pl, but I can't because of the "unable to stop services" problem.

Cheers Aggie
    I don't know of any solution but vmware is easy to reinstall. It only takes maybe 5 minutes (if that). Just make sure you do it right. I have several problems but this is what worked for me.

To reinstall vmware, uninstall and remove the /etc/vmware folder

Code:
    sudo /usr/bin/vmware-uninstall.pl
    sudo rm -Rf /etc/vmware
    Now, to avoid problems from any leftover install logs or files this next step is important. Until I figured this out I had problems every time I reinstalled.

Delete the entire /vmware-server-distrib/ folder from your /home (if that is where you put it). Re-extract the archive or just download a new copy. Then run the install as usual.

AFAIK, this does not affect any installed virtual machines. Mine are in a folder in /home and once I reinstalled I just opened like normal and no prob.
    Last edited by m.musashi; February 24th, 2007 at 05:26 AM. Reason: fix grammar

Beans

I just installed the version 1.0.1-29996 of vmware-server-console.

The installation went well but I don't have vmware-server in my system menu. When I start it from the command vmware-server-console it show up like everything is ok.

When it ask me to connect to a host I enter localhost in Hostname and nothing in User name and Password -> Unable to connect to the remote host: Cannot connect to host localhost: connection refused.

Btw I didn't have to enter a key.

Any idea ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by miltiad View Post
    I just installed the version 1.0.1-29996 of vmware-server-console.

The installation went well but I don't have vmware-server in my system menu. When I start it from the command vmware-server-console it show up like everything is ok.

When it ask me to connect to a host I enter localhost in Hostname and nothing in User name and Password -> Unable to connect to the remote host: Cannot connect to host localhost: connection refused.

Btw I didn't have to enter a key.

Any idea ?
    I'm not sure about everything but depending on how you set up networking you don't have to enter anything. Just select the radio button for localhost and click connect. You can add a item to the start menu manually. Just right click applications and choose edit menus. It's possible something didn't finish right since it never asked for a key and that could also explain why you don't have a menu icon or are having network problems. You could try to install it again. Watch the output closely as not all errors will cause the install to fail.

Beans

When i try to install VMWare it says
    Code:
    None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for your 
    running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for 
    your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)?
    and when i say yes it fails to build vmm module... I have no idea what to do next.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zilulil View Post
    When i try to install VMWare it says
    Code:
    None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for your 
    running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for 
    your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)?
    and when i say yes it fails to build vmm module... I have no idea what to do next.
    It looks like you do not have the needed packages for compiling. This line from the tutorial
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential xinetd
    should have installed what you need. Double check that these packages are installed (you can just do it again if they're installed nothing will change and if not they will be installed). After you do that you should be able to proceed with the install.

EDIT: I think that is for dapper and/or edgy users. I think it's different for others. Double check the first page of the tutorial.

Beans

ok i'm running fiesty... i'm going to reread the first page...and i already have the packages you listed installed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zilulil View Post
    ok i'm running fiesty... i'm going to reread the first page...and i already have the packages you listed installed
    I don't know if this work with feisty. It should but there could be some differences or unmet dependencies.

However, my understanding is that feisty is supposed to support hardware virtualization so vmware may not be what you want. I really know nothing about the hardware virtualization - just rumor - but it might be worth looking into. I plan to when feisty is released.

Beans

I'm trying to follow the Qemu howto in the wiki... but it seems to be borken...
    Install the qemu, kernel-package, linux-source-version and kqemu-source
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make-kpkg debian
    make-kpkg modules_image
    module-assistant prepare kqemu 
    dpkg -i /usr/src/kqemu-modules-''version''.dpkg
    the problem seems to come in because i dont' know what ''version'' he wants...

Page 87 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast