Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

I got OpenOffice 3.2 installed, thanks to instructions found here: http://www.unixmen.com/news-today/71...32-rc2-is-out-

The 3.2 apps are definitely installed. For instance, I can right-click on a text file, choose "Open with other application..." and all the OpenOffice 3.2 apps are in the list.

However, none of the OpenOffice apps appear in the Applications->Office menu. Is there an easy way to make the shortcuts appear there? I suppose I could put them there manually, but that's tedious. Also, I have no idea what the executables for Writer, etc. are called, or where their icons are stored, so I couldn't do it that way if I wanted to.

All the icons appeared in the Applications->Office menu after a reboot. I'm so used to NOT having to reboot for stuff to work, that I assumed I would see the icons appear right away.

There is apparently some process that runs at startup, to update the panel menus with any newly-installed applications. Is there some way to invoke that process manually? I am a huge fan of Ubuntu's general lack of need to restart.
    Last edited by Objekt; March 4th, 2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i followed this guide without reading all of the posts afterward...

if i did install 3.2, will it be updated through the normal package manager?
    also, if i want to undo it, is there a way to go back the old OO i had (i mean the one the go-oo develops and that ubuntu uses by default)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsliverfin View Post
    i followed this guide without reading all of the posts afterward...

if i did install 3.2, will it be updated through the normal package manager?
    No. When the next OpenOffice release comes out, you'll need to install the new packages yourself, in much the same way as the first post in the thread instructs.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsliverfin View Post
    also, if i want to undo it, is there a way to go back the old OO i had (i mean the one the go-oo develops and that ubuntu uses by default)?
    Use synaptic to uninstall the OpenOffice 3.2 packages (they'll all be listed under "Installed (local or obsolete)", then re-install the old OpenOffice.

I've been using openoffice.org's builds for some time now, due to this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/510474 - which makes the ubuntu-supplied OpenOffice packages completely unusable for my work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

works perfectly!

KegHead

Beans

Thank you so much for this. I'm a complete newbie to Ubuntu and this tutorial made upgrading my version of OpenOffice really simple.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Works great! Many thanks for starting this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

is the new OO supposed to have a new layout? i hardly notice a difference from the old one... maybe something went wrong with the install?

Beans

I get the following error when opening Open office 3.2 afther the install
    /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: /opt/openoffice.org3/program/libuno_sal.so.3: version `UDK_3.10' not found (required by /opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/libsfxlx.so)
    /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: /opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/../ure-link/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /opt/openoffice.org3/program/libjvmfwk.so.3)
    Do you know of any solutions?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

kut77less,
    You're not opening 3.2 are you?
    On my PC it's
    openoffice.org3 -writer %U
    not
    soffice.bin
    The old panel icon or menu item is just not updated.

Since your post is 3 days old, I'll guess you solved it.
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - AMD Phenom II x3 720 - 8 GB RAM - 2009 - My first PC from parts!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello All,

The PPA has been updated with the 3.2.0 debs for Karmic.

- CH
    Linux Registered User #434330

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast