Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T&e

Beans

T&e

Seems I'm the only person upset by this but I feel this "testimonials and experience" section is being misused. I wish the powers that be review the need for this section or at least put in place stricter criteria for posting there.

BTW, low beaner is a statement of fact and not an insult in my opinion.

Or maybe I just don't understand the motive for having such a section and allowing people to sign up and post there straight away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: T&e

Having a dedicated T&E section means that they are all in one place, which you can ignore if they upset you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

vasa1
    Or maybe I just don't understand the motive for having such a section and allowing people to sign up and post there straight away.
    Are you suggesting that the forums censor all new members, by banning them from the T&E until they reach a certain bean count?

Doesn't it make more sense to penalize "all" members who post "any" negative feedback or comments regarding Ubuntu/Linux in the T&E - not just new members. That would effectively squelch all feedback in the T&E that didn't share a certain - point of view.

Keeping in mind, that not all new members post negative testimonials in the T&E. Some go there to post threads sharing their enthusiasm and excitement. Should they also be banned from the T&E?

Interesting concept.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    The problem isn't necessarily with what the original poster wants to say but with those that reply and turn the thread into a discussion by the third or fourth post.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; November 11th, 2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake corrected

Beans
    Hidden!

I am personally finding the T&E section frustrating at the moment...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Maybe we need another community discussion.

The community did vote http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1884598

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post

The community did vote http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1884598
    It's difficult to criticize a decision backed by the majority and for that reason I'm hesitant to put forward any "reasoned" argument to counter the argument that "you don't have to look if you don't want to see".

But I suspect I have the right, as minorities and harmless nutters do in a perfect democracy, to mutter away in discontent (without referring to "lowbeaners").

One question though ... how do employers gauge the suitability of potential employees? They look at testimonials and experience presented by the candidates but also verify those.

The majority decision reflects that even a basic precaution such as posting in the support forum as "proof" of being an active user isn't necessary.

I wonder what would result if meritocratic decisions were taken rather than "majority-based" ones.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    Are you suggesting that the forums censor all new members, by banning them from the T&E until they reach a certain bean count?
    I wrote what I wrote and you are free to understand what you wish and "restate" it however you choose. This maybe familiar to some:
    Prevent users from being able to create threads or post in T & E until they have 50 support posts. That it got four votes out of 93 is not the point here.
    Doesn't it make more sense to penalize "all" members who post "any" negative feedback or comments regarding Ubuntu/Linux in the T&E - not just new members. That would effectively squelch all feedback in the T&E that didn't share a certain - point of view.
    Where did you get that from?
    Keeping in mind, that not all new members post negative testimonials in the T&E. Some go there to post threads sharing their enthusiasm and excitement. Should they also be banned from the T&E?
    Again, where did you get that from?
    Interesting concept.
    Yes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

nothingspecial
    I've observed a significant change in the T&E since the forums/poll altered it previous use. Now with limited time, threads intended to start conflict find themselves closed and falling down the list. Historically, those who wished to share their honest feedback, knew (or quickly learned) that any anti-Ubuntu comment(s) would often immediately come under attack.

I believe, that the forums should provide a place for all members (not selective) to express their opinions and share feedback without the threat of retaliation. It's my observation, that fewer members now go to that section anticipating debate and the T&E has become a FRIENDLIER section of the forums.

Have no idea, but suspect that there's been very few members penalized for posting in that section since the poll altered it's usage. Might be interesting to compare the number of penalties (issued in the same period of time) before and after the poll changed the T&E.

I'm not certain what the objective would be to restrict new users, but can't envision how it supports a more active T&E. Restricting new member participation by eliminating the opportunity to share their experiences (good or bad), IMO will simply reduce the volume of new threads in the section.

vasa1
    I wrote what I wrote and you are free to understand what you wish and "restate" it however you choose. This maybe familiar to some:
    Prevent users from being able to create threads or post in T & E until they have 50 support posts. That it got four votes out of 93 is not the point here.
    Then what is your point? Only 4.3% of the vote supported restricting new members. I reworded your statement to assure that I interpreted it correctly. IMHO terms like "lowbeaners" are unnecessary, condescending and abrasive. We all started with a zero bean count and I don't believe beans reflect potential or ability. It's simply denotes the number of post one has in the forums. Since the implementation of the spam rule, I've seen a number of long term members that didn't have enough bean count to change their CP.

Again, where did you get that from?
    This road is IMHO riddled with pot holes. If I recall correctly, even the staff was divided and many of the debates regarding this topic were associated with "content".

One question though ... how do employers gauge the suitability of potential employees? They look at testimonials and experience presented by the candidates but also verify those.

The majority decision reflects that even a basic precaution such as posting in the support forum as "proof" of being an active user isn't necessary.

I wonder what would result if meritocratic decisions were taken rather than "majority-based" ones.
    I was not aware that this is jobs site. Nor, that the forums needed to engaged in assessing or collecting data to determine the suitability of a Ubuntu user and/or prospective forum member. Last I heard, these forums are populated by individuals from all walks of life, occupations and age groups that share a commonality. Why would the forums assess the suitability of members for anything other than abiding by the COC and following sectional guidelines? Should a new user be prohibited from posting in the T&E, if they haven't broken any rules?

As a community of users, selective enrollment seems foolish and counter productive to me. Especially, since the T&E is not used to provide feedback to Canonical (for entertainment purposes only). Members here aren't perspective employees, what formula does one use to determine the suitability of a volunteer here and how does one apply that to a new member? Keeping in mind, that the T&E only serves these forums.

Just my $0.02 and I won't post any more comments. Doubt few of the staff don't already know my opinion, for what it's worth.

Peace
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by paulw2u View Post
    the problem isn't necessarily with what the original poster wants to say but with those that reply and turn the thread into a discussion by the third or fourth post.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast