Page 94 of 106 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Setup Samba peer-to-peer with Windows

Hi all,

I have upgraded and my network stopped working; actually it was working only partially, the Ubuntu computer was seeing the Windows one, but the opposite was not true. Now none see either.

Please, regarding this part of the original code

[MyFiles]
    path = /media/samba/
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    guest ok = no
    create mask = 0644
    directory mask = 0755

and considering the author`s comment:

This suggests that you've mounted an hard drive or partition on /media/samba where all the shared files will be stored.

Please, HOW MAY I FILL IN THE PATH considering that my shared folders are in media/HD_1 and NOT on the samba folder ?

Thanks,

Mongao

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello Mongao --

I'm afraid it's a bit unclear what your question is. For the code here:

Code:
    [MyFiles]
        path = /media/samba/
        browseable = yes
        read only = no
        guest ok = no
        create mask = 0644
        directory mask = 0755
    the path entry is the path to whatever directory you're trying to share. Simply replace /media/samba/ with whatever directory you're using.

If you mean you don't know where to put any of this, please re-read Stormbringer's tutorial. The code section I include above is part of the smb.conf file used to configure your Samba server.

If all of this is Greek to you, that's okay -- we all start somewhere! -- but it does mean that we're going to have to start this conversation from a different point altogether. If you're confused, please let us know, as specifically as you can.

Cheers,

-- Eiríkr

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eiríkr View Post
    Hello Mongao --

I'm afraid it's a bit unclear what your question is. For the code here:

Code:
    [MyFiles]
        path = /media/samba/
        browseable = yes
        read only = no
        guest ok = no
        create mask = 0644
        directory mask = 0755
    the path entry is the path to whatever directory you're trying to share. Simply replace /media/samba/ with whatever directory you're using.

If you mean you don't know where to put any of this, please re-read Stormbringer's tutorial. The code section I include above is part of the smb.conf file used to configure your Samba server.

If all of this is Greek to you, that's okay -- we all start somewhere! -- but it does mean that we're going to have to start this conversation from a different point altogether. If you're confused, please let us know, as specifically as you can.

Cheers,

-- Eiríkr
    Thanks Eirikr,

Yes, I`ve imagined that I have to replace the path according to the folder that I wanna share, in my case it would be:

path = /media/dados_1/

and it didn`t work, initially......weirdly, I simply DELETED everything that is under this "My Files" section and it started working again, even without doing any set up in Windows as advised.

Go figure....well, it`s working.

Thanks,
    Mongao

Beans

Hi,
    I used Stormbringer's tutorial to set up a Samba share between a Linux machine ( Lucid Lynx) and a Windows XP machine.

At the beginning, I changed the path In [My Files] ( See Stormbringer's tutorial) as,
    path = home/samba/
    And I could see everything on /home/samba/ from the Windows machine.

Now I want to share an external hard disk mounted on the Linux machine (/media/MyBook) with the Windows machine.
    How can I achieve this without disrupting the connection I have already established via Samba ( i.e. /home/samba)

Will something like
    [MyFiles2]
    path =/media/MyBook/
    work?

Thanks
    Ladybird78

Beans

You do this from the windows machine. My network places/add network place. browse to the external drive.You first need to set the sharing for this drive in ewindows as well. I suggest you only share certain folders.This will keep the rest safe.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybird78 View Post
    Now I want to share an external hard disk mounted on the Linux machine (/media/MyBook) with the Windows machine.
    How can I achieve this without disrupting the connection I have already established via Samba ( i.e. /home/samba)

Will something like
    [MyFiles2]
    path =/media/MyBook/
    work?
    I take it you didn't like my answer to your other post on this subject.
    ( BTW you should have mentioned that you were already using Classic-shares because the answer I gave you was for Nautilus-shares )
    You forced me to read this HowTo but if your original Classic-share is set up this way:
    [MyFiles]
    path = /media/samba/
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    guest ok = no
    create mask = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    force user = YOUR_USERNAME
    force group = YOUR_USERGROUP
    Then changing the path to /media/MyBook/ to create another share should work:
    Code:
    [MyFiles2]
         path = /media/MyBook/
        browseable = yes
        read only = no
        guest ok = no
        create mask = 0644
        directory mask = 0755
        force user = YOUR_USERNAME
        force group = YOUR_USERGROUP
    Just remember to restart samba.

Assuming the MyBook is formatted in NTFS, the key here is the " force user = YOUR_USERNAME". The MyBook will automount with access only to "YOUR_USERNAME" so the "force user" will convert any remote user to you for that share. Also the "create mask" and "directory mask" options in the share definition won't actually do anything because linux can't set permissions on a windows filesystem ( outside of a mount ) but it won't do any harm - it will just be ignored.

Beans

OOPS mis read the question. Like Morbius! said however you still have to set up the Win machine to see it.
    Why not change that [my files] & [my files2] to something more meaningful to you?
    Last edited by Silvertones; May 29th, 2010 at 01:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

you probably had this question before, but this doesn't seem to be the direct path for windows 7 (xp i think) how do you set all this up with 7?
    AMD Sempron 3200+ 2gb procesor. 2GB RAM
    Nvidea GeForce 7700
    160GB Seagate HDD (master, IDE) 200GB Seagate HDD (SATA)
    120GB Seagate HDD (IDE)

Beans

Morbius1

Thank you for your reply, yes I forgot some info in my first post but, I tried the instructions provided on your second post but it didn't work. For the mount /media/MyBook I gave the same force user that I gave for /home/samba but it didn't work. Now I cannot even see stuff on /home/samba from my Windows machine

Beans

From your Ubuntu machine post the output of the following commands please:
    Code:
    net usershare info
    sudo net usershare info
    testparm -s
    Creating a new share - even if it wasn't done correctly - shouldn't have disabled your old share.

Page 94 of 106 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast