Thread: ip settings do not exist anywhere

Beans

Angry ip settings do not exist anywhere

ip settings cannot be found anywhere

I run ifconfig and see my static ip setup nicely. it works fine. Has been working for months. time comes that i need to change my ip, and i find it is not in the interfaces file. interfaces is setup as dhcp. there is no networkmanager installed, no wicd, and a grep -R for my ip address finds NOTHING except settings in exim4.
    Where the hell is this ip configuration being stored! 12.04 with no desktop installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ip settings do not exist anywhere

If you are running Ubuntu with graphic mode check for this directory:

Code:
    ls /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
    http://rukiaenix.blogspot.com

I never really envision the finish of anything that I start. It's risk that fascinates, the moment of infinite possibility.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ip settings do not exist anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by jdieter View Post
    ip settings cannot be found anywhere

I run ifconfig and see my static ip setup nicely. it works fine. Has been working for months.
    The command ifconfig shows the currently configured interface (eth0 or whatever). This doesn't have to be a statically configured IP address. DHCP can supply it also.

time comes that i need to change my ip, and i find it is not in the interfaces file. interfaces is setup as dhcp.
    It probably something like this
    Code:
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    there is no networkmanager installed, no wicd, and a grep -R for my ip address finds NOTHING except settings in exim4.
    Where the hell is this ip configuration being stored! 12.04 with no desktop installed.
    The configuration is requested by dhclient. You will find the leases at
    Code:
    /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.leases
    The dhclient requests the IP address (lease) and I assume your router has been the DHCP server, supplying the address from its the dhcp pool.

This should not stop you from reconfiguring the eth0 interface to a statically configured state. You can use the traditional /etc/network/interfaces file. You should configure the dns servers there too. Ubuntu 12.04 server now uses /etc/resolvconf instead of /etc/resolv.conf.
    -BAB1