Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Virtualbox - Accessing system HD

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Virtualbox - Accessing system HD

Quote Originally Posted by disturbed1 View Post
    You don't need samba enabled or system folder sharing for Virtual OS to see your system drive. It's as simple as the screen shot posted.
    What to do when this doesn't work? I have done this as shown and the folder apears in the folder icn at the bottom with the virtualxp running. I can't find the folder from xp . Its not any where in network folders.

Did you install the guest additions in Windows?
    Linux user #196692 AMD x4 620 Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H 7gig DDR2 nVidia GT220
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I tried but not sure if I did it right. I have installed the complete version of VB downloaded from the site and clicked on device/install guest additions and waited while the cdrom was active, then rebooted the xp and restarted the program to be sure.
    Is this correct or do I need to download something or run another command. Reading the help file/manual would suggest I did it right but if it didn't work something went wrong or I did it wrong.

You can tell if the additions are installed by the icon in the system tray next to the clock. If there's no icon, it did not install, icon there, it's fine.

There should have been an installation program pop up in windows with the next, next, next, I agree, yes you can have my first born, next, yes, install, reboot routine .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I can see my files in Virtual XP, but my tax program can't read or write to them as it says the files are 'locked' by another user? The are set for smb share in unbuntu...the directories that is....any ideas? I'm beating my head against the wall over this one

thanks!
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by theZoid View Post
    I can see my files in Virtual XP, but my tax program can't read or write to them as it says the files are 'locked' by another user? The are set for smb share in unbuntu...the directories that is....any ideas? I'm beating my head against the wall over this one

thanks!
    You aren't accessing these files first in Ubuntu and then trying to do the same in virtual Windows?

These files are for Windows only use?

Did you install the program that runs these tax files in Windows?

If these files are on a Ubuntu partition, you can make sure the ower is you, using the chown command.

You do have your samba password installed in Ubuntu, yes?
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    You aren't accessing these files first in Ubuntu and then trying to do the same in virtual Windows?

No, these are standalone tax data files that are only accessed in Windows, the XP Virtual Machine.

These files are for Windows only use?

Yes

Did you install the program that runs these tax files in Windows?

Yes, it installed and runs fine.

If these files are on a Ubuntu partition, you can make sure the ower is you, using the chown command.

Yes, they are on a ubuntu ext3 /home partition. I have their parent directory like 04data, 05data, etc marked for read/write samba sharing. I have NOT done ownership...how do I do the chown command?

You do have your samba password installed in Ubuntu, yes?

I have done a set smbpasswd to "username", me, but that didn't work?
    Please see above....thanks much!
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

If you're attempting to set up samba, this is completely different than Virtual Box shared folders. Are you attempting to read/write to a directory you actually have read/write permissions to?

http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu-gut...tdbsam-backend

^^ See that for samba configuration. Once you have samba set up, the folder will then be shared through samba, and not Virtual Box. So, instead of attempting to mount the network share under Virtual Box Shared folders, the share would then be under Windows Networking\ Your-Workgroup\ Your Share.

As seen by the screen shot I have No Samba Shares, I have Virtual Box shares Perhaps you should head over to the Virtual Box forums, where they can better walk you through the setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by disturbed1 View Post
    If you're attempting to set up samba, this is completely different than Virtual Box shared folders. Are you attempting to read/write to a directory you actually have read/write permissions to?

http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu-gut...tdbsam-backend

^^ See that for samba configuration. Once you have samba set up, the folder will then be shared through samba, and not Virtual Box. So, instead of attempting to mount the network share under Virtual Box Shared folders, the share would then be under Windows Networking\ Your-Workgroup\ Your Share.

As seen by the screen shot I have No Samba Shares, I have Virtual Box shares Perhaps you should head over to the Virtual Box forums, where they can better walk you through the setup.
    Yep, that's a goog idea too I guess I can see the folders like that, just can't read or write to them. Last time I had this set up in Ubuntu (previous install) I could though....that's why I thought i've got someting set wrong with the folders in ubuntu.
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

What directory are you attempting to share? Right click on that folder in Linux and check the permissions. USER need to have read and write permission. Since USER is running Virtual Box, these permissions are inherited.

USER is of course the user name of the Linux User currently logged in an running Virtual Box.

Also, there is a Linux group now called vboxusers. Make sure you are a member of that group. System -> Administration -> Users and Groups. Click on manage groups, find vboxusers, click properties, and make sure your name is checked as being in the group. You have to log out then back in for this to take effect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast