Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing Tablet Recommendations?

Beans

Drawing Tablet Recommendations?

I've never had a drawing tablet before and I've been meaning to purchase one for a while now. I stumbled across a Wacom tablet that caught my interest on eBay, only to find out that it wasn't compatible with Linux. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.

So, I was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation on a fairly inexpensive drawing tablet that I would be able to use in GIMP and Inkscape.

The most that I'm willing to spend on one is around $100, and any size would suit me.

Thanks, guys!

Beans

Re: Drawing Tablet Recommendations?

I have a Wacom Bamboo. Not sure how many inches it is, but it's fairly small. You should be able to find it used for about $100.

Beans

I have an intuous wacom which works in gimp if you install the wacom additions from synaptic package manager. These come standard with ubuntu studio but you have to install them with regular ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a tablet PC, (HP touchsmart tx2) but the support isn't quite perfect. Everything except rotation when you flip it around, but you have to run a driver updater. Not as bad as how it used to be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wacom Bamboo Fun here and works fine in 10.04.

Bamboo Pen should come in under budget (same set-up)
    http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen.php

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1515562

Works fine with Gimp (pressure settings all good !)
    also using 'Mypaint" from the repos.
    http://mypaint.intilinux.com/
    Last edited by robert shearer; July 24th, 2010 at 08:35 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blane2 View Post
    I have an intuous wacom which works in gimp if you install the wacom additions from synaptic package manager. These come standard with ubuntu studio but you have to install them with regular ubuntu.
    Huh? That must be with some old version of Ubuntu. There is the xserver-xorg-input-wacom package though. tablet-apps may also be a good package to install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Åtta View Post
    Huh? That must be with some old version of Ubuntu. There is the xserver-xorg-input-wacom package though. tablet-apps may also be a good package to install.
    It might have changed, i use ubuntu studio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

If you want to invest in some tablet, my recommendation is to stick to Wacom. I used Graphire2, Volito and Intuos, and I been very pleased how they works under Ubuntu.

There is a difference between professional and semiprofessional tablets, because professional has a tilt (pen angle) detection, but they are much more expensive.

Probably Bamboo Pen is tablet you need. I see that cost for this tablet on Amazon is under 50$.

But if you want a real thing here is Wacom Intuos4 for 200$.

I should took some tax from Wacom for free commercial hahahahaha. But what can I say, I'm a happy Wacom user...
    Last edited by digitalis_vulgaris; July 26th, 2010 at 07:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Drawing Tablet Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Alvina View Post
    I've never had a drawing tablet before and I've been meaning to purchase one for a while now. I stumbled across a Wacom tablet that caught my interest on eBay, only to find out that it wasn't compatible with Linux. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.

So, I was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation on a fairly inexpensive drawing tablet that I would be able to use in GIMP and Inkscape.

The most that I'm willing to spend on one is around $100, and any size would suit me.

Thanks, guys!
    I would probably have to recommend getting a wacom bamboo pen and touch, or the bamboo fun each getsthe job done and should work for Gimp and Inkscape... I plan on getting the small intous 4 to work on my architecture -{becoming an architect or urban planner}

Hope u find one that fits you...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Alvina View Post

Thanks, guys!
    Almost all wacom tablets work on linux as far as i remember. If you go to the actual website {Wacom.com} they have links that lead you to a website with wacom drivers...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast