Thread: Are the ubuntu .iso(s) updated?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Are the ubuntu .iso(s) updated?

Quick question.

I'm putting Ubuntu on some of my friends' flashdrives. I was just wondering if the .iso(s) at ubuntu.com are ones that have been updated to include OS updates(I think that I heard that they are) or if they are still the same as when 10.04 was released? It'd be nice if I can give them an OS with some of the bugs cleaned out...

Thanks,

~pizza
    Dell Latitude E6400 | Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz | 4GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 MHz | 250GB HDD 7200 RPM | NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M 512 MB
    Use a Dell E-Latitude? | I lost The Game

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Are the ubuntu .iso(s) updated?

The images are [usually] the same as when they were released. The exception is LTS releases (last was Hardy). Around 2 years (I think) after Hardy was released, they rebuilt the iso and uploaded it to ubuntu - Ubuntu 8.04.1. That won't happen for a while yet though (if it happens at all) with 10.04.
    Everything that has a Beginning, has an End

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by WRDN View Post
    The images are [usually] the same as when they were released. The exception is LTS releases (last was Hardy). Around 2 years (I think) after Hardy was released, they rebuilt the iso and uploaded it to ubuntu - Ubuntu 8.04.1. That won't happen for a while yet though (if it happens at all) with 10.04.
    I think it will happen, read somewhere that 10.04.1 is coming out in June/July, but I can't find the source for it anymore [if I'm right at all, that is]. :\
    G! dpu s:++ a C+++ UL++ P L+++ !E W+++ N+ o? K- W-- O- M- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t- 5 X+ R* tv-- b DI- D- G e+ h+ r--- y+

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK. Thanks for the info. Good to know.

I guess that if I really cared I would reinstall my Ubuntu, do all the updates and then create an .iso that is fully updated, but I don't.
    Dell Latitude E6400 | Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz | 4GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 MHz | 250GB HDD 7200 RPM | NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M 512 MB

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pizza-is-good View Post
    OK. Thanks for the info. Good to know.

I guess that if I really cared I would reinstall my Ubuntu, do all the updates and then create an .iso that is fully updated, but I don't.
    Please read that I am not sure.
    G! dpu s:++ a C+++ UL++ P L+++ !E W+++ N+ o? K- W-- O- M- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t- 5 X+ R* tv-- b DI- D- G e+ h+ r--- y+

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Phrea View Post
    Please read that I am not sure.
    I did. When I hit reply, only WRDN had answered my post, so I hadn't seen yours yet. It still applied, so I decided against editing my post.

It will be interesting to see if they do that.

Thanks again,

~pizza

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Each LTS has four major point releases. (Basically snapshots of all the packages in their current state after updates). The ISOs are rebuilt for those releases.

Pretty looking chart:

10.04.1 happens in the week of July 29th. The others follow in six month intervals :)

Mark Shuttleworth has a blog post on this, which is also the source of the pretty chart above: http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/146
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; May 25th, 2010 at 01:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    Each LTS has four major point releases. (Basically snapshots of all the packages in their current state after updates). The ISOs are rebuilt for those releases.

Pretty looking chart:

10.04.1 happens in the week of July 29th.
    A. That is very nice looking chat!

B. Thanks for the info. That seems official enough.

~pizza

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post

Pretty looking chart:
    [IMG]

10.04.1 happens in the week of July 29th.
    Wow, very handy.
    Bookmarking image/web page.

Beans
    Hidden!

Crappy chart theres no pie.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org