Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Quote Originally Posted by jazz.h View Post
    I can also confirm that after bios ver 1.08 network boot doesn't have to be 1st boot choice, nor Broadcom drivers have to be blacklisted any more, at least on my AO722 C-50.
    Bad news, this is not true, while on battery it still freezes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ack, not working for me either as mentioned in my previous post =(

i also found hibernation not to work for me either, i just switched from fglrx to radeon but after hibernating, the boot process just takes place as it usually does. i have enough swap (8gb with 4gb ram) and i also enabled the power regression flag (pcie_aspm=force). any other ideas what i might need to do here?

one more thing: some of you might run unity2D which i am currently havin a look at. whats missing for me is a way to modify some ui-settings (such as reducing the size of the launcher). only some changes in ccsm seem to work; is there another approach? maybe i should also take a look at xfwm4 some time...

regards, anti

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by antiplex View Post
    ack, not working for me either as mentioned in my previous post =(

i also found hibernation not to work for me either, i just switched from fglrx to radeon but after hibernating, the boot process just takes place as it usually does. i have enough swap (8gb with 4gb ram) and i also enabled the power regression flag (pcie_aspm=force). any other ideas what i might need to do here?
    I'm not sure why hibernate wouldn't pick up a properly written suspend image in swap. As far as I know, as long as an image is written to swap, the kernel should detect it and use it. My guess is somehow hibernate (pm-disk?) isn't writing or completing the hibernate process. I think pm-utils logs power events into /var/log/pm-suspend or /var/log/pm-powersave or something like that. I'd poke through them and look for something odd.

That said, my experience with the stock hibernate/suspend system is pretty minimal. I only tried the default hibernate system once or twice before deciding that it took FOREVER to write all 4 gigs of ram to disk and switched over to suspend2 (also called tuxonice), which only seems to write what's actually used to disk and operates 2 to 3x as fast as a result. That it looks pretty and provides feedback on the hibernate process is a nice bonus too.

I also use the hibernate script (apt-get install hibernate) to manage bringing various services online/offline, mute the volume/stop mp3 playback, etc, etc. It might be something to fool with when you get things working.

Quote Originally Posted by antiplex View Post
    one more thing: some of you might run unity2D which i am currently havin a look at. whats missing for me is a way to modify some ui-settings (such as reducing the size of the launcher). only some changes in ccsm seem to work; is there another approach? maybe i should also take a look at xfwm4 some time...
    I'm pretty sure unity2d doesn't use compiz for many of it's settings, since the whole idea behind it is *not* to use all those fancy 3d effects which compiz provides. You might need to tweak unity settings using the gconf or dconf editor. I'm sure there are lots of threads on this site covering this.

If your looking at a low-powered window managers, a lot of people really like the fluxbox/openbox approach, or even the tiling window managers, (xmonad, wmii, etc). Then again, users who like the feel of those managers also seem to be cli junkies too

I find gnome-shell eats less cpu/ram than unity, which might be something to look into as well. There is a fork of gnomeshell the mint guys are doing that looks interesting if you like the old gnome-feel too.

Beans

Same here, just updated bios yesterday - didn't notice any difference in behavior. Then again, if you disable the ethernet port entirely, everything seems to behave much more nicely and you can ignore the lockups - which is what I do instead of fooling with the boot order.

Beans

Thank you all for all the helpful information in this thread. I've been running Ubuntu on my C-60 722 for months now, thanks to you. Though I've been a lurker for a while, I thought I'd chime in on a couple of points:

Quote Originally Posted by xterminus View Post
    Same here, just updated bios yesterday - didn't notice any difference in behavior. Then again, if you disable the ethernet port entirely, everything seems to behave much more nicely and you can ignore the lockups - which is what I do instead of fooling with the boot order.
    Unfortunately, disabling the ethernet driver does not fully fix the boot problems in my C-60 722. It worked flawlessly when plugged in, but when running on battery power it froze before the desktop could finish loading. I've reverted to booting with the network, and removed the ethernet driver from the blacklist.

For what its worth, I am running Ati Catalyst 11.12. Other than the lack of sleep/hibernation, my netbook runs flawlessly. Since I've upgraded my ram after partitioning the HD, I probably won't be able to hibernate without a clean install anyway, so I'm not bothered by it.

Speaking of which, upgrading to 4 gigs of ram, from the stock 2 gigs, sped up my netbook considerably. Adding Flash-aid and Flash-video-replacer (http://www.webgapps.org/add-ons/) helped my youtube & hulu experiences considerably.

The Jupiter applet works very well for me (thank you, Fuduntu!). 6 hours of battery is a given, and I've seen up to 8.5 depending on my use.

Has anyone managed to play around with the unlocked bios yet? I am very hesitant to try (I can't afford to brick this computer!), and have read (on the bios-mod forums) that it slows down the booting sequence significantly... Still any reliable info would be welcome

Thanks again for all the info, and keep up the good work!

Beans

Just to clarify: Flash-video-replacer does not work with hulu, but having the latest Flash installed helped a lot. Flash-aid guaranteed that I had the latest 64 bit flash installed... I thought I did, but was wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zzarko View Post
    You'll need to go back to open source radeon driver for suspend or hibernation to work. This is a very old fglrx bug that probably will never be resolved...
    I'm on open source driver now, suspend and hibernation works as expected.

And for this...

I noticed this warning in DiskUtility - "Extended partition misaligned by 1024 bytes!".
    It's definitely a bug in DiskUtility, tried everything so far...

Since now my system (nearly) works as I expect, I'll perform an ext4 partition backup to image from CloneZilla immediately.

Said nearly, cause these 2 issues are still open - 1) wifi led is always off even with wifi enabled and working, and b) in Skype internal mic problems...

Beans

Hi,
    I just installed 11.10 on AAO 722 and everything within ubuntu works okay, though getting used to unity is annoying atm >_<
    My problem is that my windows 7 partition is not an option at boot. I have ubuntu, memtest and even the recovery partition boot for win 7, but not the win 7 itself. I checked in ubuntu and nothing is wrong with the partition itself (my first thought was that maybe i formatted the wrong partition); grub just doesn't list it.
    Anyone encounter this, or know how to fix it (tried updating grub already; no luck)? Thanks!
    El

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

xterminus, thank you very much for your detailed post reagrding the my issues!
    I'm not sure why hibernate wouldn't pick up a properly written suspend image in swap. As far as I know, as long as an image is written to swap, the kernel should detect it and use it. My guess is somehow hibernate (pm-disk?) isn't writing or completing the hibernate process. I think pm-utils logs power events into /var/log/pm-suspend or /var/log/pm-powersave or something like that. I'd poke through them and look for something odd.
    i just checked the contents of /var/log/pm-suspend.log and most entries here show no signs of trouble except maybe
    Code:
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave hibernate hibernate: success.
    Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/01PulseAudio hibernate hibernate:
    Sessions still open, not unmounting
    Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.
    >>> >>> Sessions still open, not unmounting
    (still seems successful...) and
    Code:
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth hibernate hibernate: not applicable.
    Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager hibernate hibernate:
    Having NetworkManager put all interaces to sleep...Failed.

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager hibernate hibernate: success.
    Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/60_wpa_supplicant hibernate hibernate:
    Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
    and maybe also
    Code:
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth hibernate hibernate: not applicable.
    Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager hibernate hibernate:
    Having NetworkManager put all interaces to sleep...Failed.

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager hibernate hibernate: success.
    Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/60_wpa_supplicant hibernate hibernate:
    Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led hibernate hibernate: not applicable.
    Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler hibernate hibernate:
    Kernel modesetting video driver detected, not using quirks.
    dont know what to do about #1 and #3 but i'll try to disable wlan&bt before my next attempt.

one other thing i noticed is that (having splash disabled during boot) i can see some entries about orphaned inodes flash by when booting after hiberate (not the case after a plain shutdown). even worse, after entering my pwd in the login dialogue, the whole system seems to freeze (key-combinations ctrl + del or ctrl + alt + f1 seem to have no effect). on the next reboot everything is normal again (but hibernation-data seems all lost).

That said, my experience with the stock hibernate/suspend system is pretty minimal. I only tried the default hibernate system once or twice before deciding that it took FOREVER to write all 4 gigs of ram to disk and switched over to suspend2 (also called tuxonice), which only seems to write what's actually used to disk and operates 2 to 3x as fast as a result. That it looks pretty and provides feedback on the hibernate process is a nice bonus too.

I also use the hibernate script (apt-get install hibernate) to manage bringing various services online/offline, mute the volume/stop mp3 playback, etc, etc. It might be something to fool with when you get things working.
    if i read the repository information correcly suspend2 is part of the hibernate package, right? i also installed it (reads nice, thanks for the hint) but issues remain the same.

I'm pretty sure unity2d doesn't use compiz for many of it's settings, since the whole idea behind it is *not* to use all those fancy 3d effects which compiz provides. You might need to tweak unity settings using the gconf or dconf editor. I'm sure there are lots of threads on this site covering this.

If your looking at a low-powered window managers, a lot of people really like the fluxbox/openbox approach, or even the tiling window managers, (xmonad, wmii, etc). Then again, users who like the feel of those managers also seem to be cli junkies too

I find gnome-shell eats less cpu/ram than unity, which might be something to look into as well. There is a fork of gnomeshell the mint guys are doing that looks interesting if you like the old gnome-feel too.
    there are several threads regarding the configurability of unity (especially 2d) and the bottom line is more or less that there is only very little possibility to customize unity2d (e.g. launcher icon size) which seems to be wanted to be like this for some odd reason and changing this after several demands has no high priority for now.

while i am open to try out other wm's i found one thing that i would not want to miss from unity: the integration of the top-window-frame into the top panel for maximized windows. this is really great since almost all displays nowadays seem to come in 16:9 aspect ratio vertical space becomes more and more valuable and i found this a nice way of saving some otherwise useless wasted space.
    of course chances are that this concept has been invented by unity and might be used within other wm's as well. anybody got any ideas here? gnome3 doesn't as it seems.
    Last edited by antiplex; January 31st, 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's definitely a bug in DiskUtility, tried everything so far...
    Said nearly, cause these 2 issues are still open - 1) wifi led is always off even with wifi enabled and working, and b) in Skype internal mic problems...
    jazz, are you sure that it's a bug in diskUtility? i've found it working very well in my case. how did you partition your drive? by the installer? that should normally do it correctly afaik. could you post the outcome of
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    wifi led is working fine in my case, not using skype, but google talk works flawlessly for me.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast