Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 OpenVZ VPS - Starting at $5/month

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Re: Ubuntu 9.10 OpenVZ VPS - Starting at $5/month

I don't really understand the difference between shared hosting and VPS hosting. If VPS hosting is $5.00 a month then why would anybody choose shared hosting. Does the $5.00 really mean my total bill is $5.00 a month? What do you run on VPS, web sites? Is VPS a virtual machine? I run a very simple web site just for fun. I don't use PHP or JavaScript or any other active stuff, just html files only. Whats fivebean.com and bluemilecloud.com? Are they the same company?

The thing that I want is full root access so I can have fun playing around with different web site setups.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 OpenVZ VPS - Starting at $5/month

Quote Originally Posted by MechaMechanism View Post
    I don't really understand the difference between shared hosting and VPS hosting. If VPS hosting is $5.00 a month then why would anybody choose shared hosting. Does the $5.00 really mean my total bill is $5.00 a month? What do you run on VPS, web sites? Is VPS a virtual machine? I run a very simple web site just for fun. I don't use PHP or JavaScript or any other active stuff, just html files only. Whats fivebean.com and bluemilecloud.com? Are they the same company?

The thing that I want is full root access so I can have fun playing around with different web site setups.
    Web hosting at it's simplest gives you a web directory on a server with other (potentially thousands of other) customers. You just get one directory to play with, and most of it is availible to the public. You also don't have control over what is running on the server, such as database programs, scripting languages/extentions, the web server itself, etc.

VPS hosting on the other hand, is different. a VPS is a Virtual Private Server. It is a virtual machine that is running on a server that is probably also hosting other VPS's, although probably not as many customers per server as basic web hosting. With a VPS, you are given full root access (as you mentioned you wanted), a choice of operating system to install on it. You are in control of the software, and can configure the VPS to suit your needs. You can run a traditional LAMP stack (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) server, or you can branch out and use something like a Linux Lighttpd PostgreSQL Ruby solution that is tuned to your needs.

Indeed, a much bigger sandbox than the more traditional Shared Hosting option. Yes, you pay more, but you are getting a lot more control in your hands.
    |>[HowTo] Bump The BUMP Thread<||>Stats<||>19k<||>23k<||>26k<||>34k<||>37k<||>38k<||>39k<||>40k<|

Quote Originally Posted by lukjad007
    Backups are usually a good thing unless it's a sewer.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinbr View Post
    Indeed, a much bigger sandbox than the more traditional Shared Hosting option. Yes, you pay more, but you are getting a lot more control in your hands.
    Thanks for the info. I've been looking into this a lot since I asked the question. Lots and lots of sites to choose from.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I don't really understand the difference between shared hosting and VPS hosting. If VPS hosting is $5.00 a month then why would anybody choose shared hosting.
    Here's the difference, spelt out: http://vpsbible.com/hosting/vps-virt...-vs-dedicated/

In a nutshell, with shared you share with others and have no root access. With a VPS you share with no one, effectively (such is virtualization), and have full root access. What's more, with a VPS you start with a clean slate and build a custom solution. There are tools to help with that, of course.

Oh yes, and it's way more fun.
    If VPS hosting is $5.00 a month then why would anybody choose shared hosting.
    Because building a server sounds like a time-consuming headspin. It certainly can be.

There are shortcuts but, if you wish to host sites in production, it's important to have a grasp of the underlying technologies. That said, in reality you can get away with little knowledge at first, learning as you go along.

Does the $5.00 really mean my total bill is $5.00 a month?
    Yes.

Cheapo VPS providers are pretty amazing but, to an extent (ie, aside from the big shared hosts with overpriced VPS plans), you get what you pay for.

.. Linode and Slicehost are considerably better than, say, fivebean .. or actually pretty much anything at all (but plans start at $20).
    What do you run on VPS, web sites?
    Yes.

.. And mail servers, data whatnots, proxy servers .. anything you can build on a dedicated, you can build on a VPS.
    Is VPS a virtual machine?
    A virtual *private* machine, darling. Terribly posh really.
    Have to say I found it pretty lame but, for $5 a month and able to cancel any time .. get a fivebean sandbox and you really can't go wrong.

.. Almost more fun than Meccano

Beans

Is this continue at that time?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by aaeshabragg View Post
    Is this continue at that time?
    I would also like an answer to this. The links you (ubuntu-geek) posted are no longer there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I actually read on webhostingtalk.com a few days ago that FiveBean was purchased by another company.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...an#post7208672

At least that is what I believe I was reading.

If you need any VPS help PM me here or at webhostingtalk, username there is richboos. Of course, make sure you get an Ubuntu VPS if you really want my help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kingbilly View Post
    I actually read on webhostingtalk.com a few days ago that FiveBean was purchased by another company.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...an#post7208672

At least that is what I believe I was reading.

If you need any VPS help PM me here or at webhostingtalk, username there is richboos. Of course, make sure you get an Ubuntu VPS if you really want my help.
    Yes they were bought by bluemile hosting, and then they got rid of the shared webhosting and cheap vps hosting. Sort of ruined the whole hosting site. I was seriously considering buying one when they just *poof* took all the cheap stuff off. Good thing I didn't switch to them.
    Ubuntu 14.04 Server
    -Linode 1GB
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Laptop
    -Toshiba Satellite A505-6005, Intel i3, 4.00 GB ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

So I guess it is dead. Too bad, I was going to use it. Might as well edit the thread and close it now. Too bad........
    --Corrytonapple----
    [Toshiba L455-S5008] [Intel Pentium 2.4GHz Procesor]
    [250GB HDD;4GB RAM] [Debian Wheezy 7.0 with GNOME 3][Fedora 16]

Beans

I’m going to re-open this and hope I don't get flamed. I used to have a vps with five bean and loved it , now that it is gone anyone have any recommendations on other companies that are similar in price and specs?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast