Thread: openSuse?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

openSuse?

Anyone tried it? How does it compare to Ubuntu in ease of use a compatability, plus does it have as a huge repos as Ubuntu?
    "We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts."

Buddha The Dhammapada

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: openSuse?

Not to be biased, but Ubuntu's user community is second to none, and the 3rd party repositories available for Ubuntu have yet to be surpassed in my opinions. Just take a look at DistroWatch. The numbers don't lie.
    Upgrade to 7.10 today!
    Automatix: Automated, graphical installer for almost everything you need. Samba share problems? Fix them! Need to delete unwanted wireless networks? Check this out!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by x64Jimbo View Post
    Not to be biased, but Ubuntu's user community is second to none, and the 3rd party repositories available for Ubuntu have yet to be surpassed in my opinions. Just take a look at DistroWatch. The numbers don't lie.
    I do agree that the Ubuntu Forums are very good. The Opensuse forums are good as well.

Yes, Ubuntu (based on Debian) is a good OS, but so is OpenSuse. I personally like Debian more then Ubuntu as I find pure Debian more stable then Ubuntu.
    Opensuse 10.3 functions better on my laptops then Ubuntu, so it's a matter of "Use what works for YOU!"

As far how many repo packages for each distro, I'm not sure which is bigger...
    Last edited by Antman; November 14th, 2007 at 03:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Debian will always be more stable than Ubuntu because Ubuntu is focusing on the latest and greatest, attempting to bring the best of the Linux world to the everyday user. Debian doesn't even come with a GUI, for starters, so it's bound to be more stable for that reason alone. The addition of a GUI brings along with it many other complications that aren't present in a straight CLI environment. I agree that you should use what is best for you. If openSuse proves to be a better option for you, then use it! That's the best thing about Linux - the freedom of choice!
    Upgrade to 7.10 today!
    Automatix: Automated, graphical installer for almost everything you need. Samba share problems? Fix them! Need to delete unwanted wireless networks? Check this out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by chrispche View Post
    Anyone tried it? How does it compare to Ubuntu in ease of use a compatability, plus does it have as a huge repos as Ubuntu?
    OpenSUSE is what I use, and I really enjoy it. For me, it runs faster on my laptop then Ubuntu does, feels more stable, and has a KDE environment that can not be beat. It feels very polished and well thought out. They have a live CD now, so you should just burn it and see what you think. Package management on SUSE is a bit slower then Ubuntu, but it's not a deal breaker at all. You can even set up APT if you really want it. Give it a go and see what you think. I like it more then Ubuntu, though I can not agree more that the Ubuntu community is unbeatable. Let us know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by Incense; November 14th, 2007 at 06:11 PM.
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Hidden!

Just take a look at DistroWatch. The numbers don't lie.
    Does that mean that Windows having a market share of 90 percent mean that it surpasses Ubuntu in quality? After all, the numbers don't lie.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

No, it means that Microsoft has an unfair monopoly on the commercial operating system market, which has absolutely nothing to do with the open source operating system market. I believe that Ubuntu's numbers surpass openSuse's because of the community surrounding the distro, not the quality of the product. Even if Ubuntu were slightly less polished than openSuse, the awesome atmosphere of these forums and the willingness of its members to help each other out would overcome what little deficit there might be in quality.
    These aren't just my sentiments. Pretty much every article or spot I've seen on Ubuntu trumpets the community's merits as its leading cause of success. Without enthusiasm and support, software is just software.
    I am not trying to say that openSuse is bad. I am also not trying to say that its community is not helpful or enthusiastic. I am sure that it is, and I am glad that there are so many well-developed and well-supported Linux distros out there. They all help contribute to the general success of OSS, and that makes me very happy!
    Upgrade to 7.10 today!

Beans

Just take a look at DistroWatch. The numbers don't lie.
    They do if you interpret them wrong. The DistroWatch numbers are just how many times a distros link has been accessed through the DistroWatch site.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm not saying that Distrowatch's numbers are incontrovertible evidence. However, there is a strong correlation between strong Distrowatch numbers and actual users.
    Upgrade to 7.10 today!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I sound like a broken record but the polish of the distro in both Gnome & KDE is incredible...

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)