Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cinnamon Desktop Environment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cinnamon Desktop Environment

Cinnamon looks really nice, but the window list applet seems to lack functionality one has come to expect from window lists, namely that I can't minimize/unminimize/give focus to/resize/move/close a window by clicking, double clicking, or right clicking on its entry in the window list. I don't see any configuration options for the window list applet. Until I discovered scale/expo, the window list seemed like a roach motel: windows go in (via minimize), but never come out.

I can, with some time, get used to that, as much as one has come to expect the capability from the past--though I'd rather not have to. Other folks who I've set up with Linux may not be as flexible, so that much as I'd like to point them to Cinnamon as an alternative to GNOME fallback mode (who knows how long that will continue to exist?), I am not sure I can.

Am I overlooking some setting?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Well, the week is over and I wanted to give some final thoughts about Cinnamon 1.6.0. Applets that are not a part of the Cinnamon desktop environment usually work, but sometimes there are glitches and they don't respond until I log out and log back in. This usually happens when I suspend my PC and resume from suspension. The notifications applet is a part of the Cinnamon desktop environment and it too suffers from this same problem. I checked out the Expo and Stretch feature and I don't really find them to be that useful. Perhaps they need more development and maturation to become truly useful.

My gut feeling is that Cinnamon 1.6.0 feels to be like a work in progress. It is not fully polished in terms of its features set and much more work needs to be done to bring it up to par. As it stands right now, it is useful and functional, but it needs more minor point updates rather than significant updates with new features to be added at a later time.

I switched to KDE Plasma 4.9.x this week. I am going to try it out for one week to see how it goes.

Cinnamon was a nice and refreshing change of pace from Ubuntu Unity, but it is not ready for prime time yet. It has the potential to be become a terrific desktop environment, but it needs more work on fixing minor bugs.

Beans
    Distro

I just noticed a problem with my Cinnamon DE. The top search bar and Mozilla Firefox icon are cut off. I can only see the menu from the accessories folder down to the bottom. I removed Cinnamon and I re-installed it and I rebooted my PC, but I get the same problem.

Does anyone else here have the same problem?

How can I solve this problem?

Beans
    Distro

I fixed the problem. I simply edited the menu and I removed Accessibility, Education, and Games from the menu. Now, I can see the whole menu system including the Mozilla Firefox web browser icon and the search bar.

Solved.

I am back to using Cinnamon 1.6.0 again.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    I just noticed a problem with my Cinnamon DE. The top search bar and Mozilla Firefox icon are cut off. I can only see the menu from the accessories folder down to the bottom. I removed Cinnamon and I re-installed it and I rebooted my PC, but I get the same problem.

Does anyone else here have the same problem?

How can I solve this problem?
    Besides the lack of features, it's all the buggyness like this that makes me not want to use Cinnamon. You have that one thing fixed, but as soon as you go messing with things, something else will pop up. By this time next year, Cinnamon will probably be awesome. But it's not for me right now.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

(Touches wood) So far my experience with Cinnamon has been extremely positive and bug free. I love the fact that it has a lots of modern effects, but doesn't have a lot of overhead, so it remains quite light on resources and very fast. I installed version 1.6.1 from the Mint repos, and all so far is very, very good. Better in fact than my recent Gnome 3 experience.

You can only use what works for you, and Cinnamon really works well for me. It's got all the features I could possibly want from a Linux desktop. Perhaps the only thing I'd like to see, not especially for my benefit, but accessibility options would be a great addition.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Besides the lack of features,
    Which features you mean? There's a site which provides users with extensions and applets.

it's all the buggyness
    True, that was my experience as well. It ran nicely but after a while i got one error message after the other.

like this that makes me not want to use Cinnamon. You have that one thing fixed, but as soon as you go messing with things, something else will pop up. By this time next year, Cinnamon will probably be awesome. But it's not for me right now.
    Cinnamon does has a great potention, but it must be made better. Better in means of more stable and better integration with non-Linux Mint operating systems. But my overall opinion is that Cinnamon has a future.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GeForce 9500GT View Post
    True, that was my experience as well. It ran nicely but after a while i got one error message after the other.
    What error messages are you getting? I honestly haven't had a single error report or anything since I started using it. I'm currently using it on Mint 13, but I also have it on an Ubuntu install.

I do agree that Cinnamon has a future, and an important part to play in Gnome even. Lots of people say Gnome is dead, but to me it's more prevalent than ever, what with Shell, Unity, and Cinnamon. It's all Gnome at the end of the day, and it's testament to the power of Gnome that all these divergent UI's can come out of it imho.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

after all this talk about cinnamon
    how do i install cinnamon in ubuntu 12.10?
    i did a clean installation of 12.10 and

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install cinnamon

reboot but can not choose cinnamon,it's there but can not choose it or click it.i have intel graphics.this did not work for me

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I want to like Cinnamon, but it just seems like a cramped and dumbed-down version of XFCE. Not sure why anyone would want to use it except that it's built on a Gnome base and has a little extra bling.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast