Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu To Investigate Digital Rights Management

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu To Investigate Digital Rights Management

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    @ aspergerian

Not sure exactly. Most likely will be axed by 14.04. Have to wait till the next LTS to see exactly. But there has to be a reason why 12.04 is 5 years in support aganst the usual 2-3 years
    I kinda thought that had to do with making 12.04 more acceptable for business use. Businesses don't want to have to do a major makeover of their IT functions every couple years. Remember Microsoft usually offers extended support for 10 years or more. XP came out in 2001, will have lasted 'til 2014 and businesses are still footdragging about upgrading 'til the last minute.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ergo-proxy View Post
    When I see "Ubuntu is DRM ready" I will dump it without hassles.
    I'm confused. What is making you upset? Making Ubuntu "DRM ready" means that you will be able to play media that otherwise would have been unavailable, wouldn't it? In other words, it is adding capability, not removing it. Or have I misunderstood?

It wouldn't affect me, anyway, because I don't buy DRM media.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

The issue he is have is that Canonical will be adding Proprietary Software by default that most likely will require you to agree to a EULA of some sort.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    I'm confused. What is making you upset? Making Ubuntu "DRM ready" means that you will be able to play media that otherwise would have been unavailable, wouldn't it? In other words, it is adding capability, not removing it. Or have I misunderstood?

It wouldn't affect me, anyway, because I don't buy DRM media.
    +1

DRM would make more content available for future versions of Ubuntu. Content providers will usually only license content for distribution if it the end-platform has DRM capability. If you take Netflix for example, there are a huge number of people complaining the there isn't a native Linux client available. With a suitable DRM mechanism in place then services such as Netflix would be able to produce native clients.

Also I didn't see that many people complain when Valve decided to release Steam for Ubuntu, at the end of the day Steam is just a content delivery and DRM solution.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

The issue he is have is that Canonical will be adding Proprietary Software by default that most likely will require you to agree to a EULA of some sort.
    Who is to say it will be proprietary software?

There are open source DRM mechanisms available.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hery everyone, guess what? GET OVER IT!!! Ubuntu isn't a community driven project anymore. It's an OS from a large company looking to make an impact in the computing market. As far as I am concerned, Ubuntu really isn't Linux anymore. It's based on Linux, but is vastly different in ideology and methology. I will not be suprized if by 14.04 Ubuntu will no longer be Linux compatible at the Kernel Binary level, in turn making it a new OS. Ubuntu has a modified Kernel, new display manager, getting DRM support, custom Debian-based packages, and better internet intergration. Ubuntu will be the next Apple. Just like how OS X is based in BSD, but is completely incompatibe with BSD packages. So, you can ride the wagon to the new frontier, a new OS begining, or you can jump off and stick with the community driven Linux Distros which most likely will loose support from companies like Nvidia and Valve as Ubuntu makes it big as the new OS for the masses.

Personally, I'm OK with that.
    Your statement is inaccurate my dear friend. You are forgetting the very simple difference between Ubuntu and OSX.
    Regardless of how many "modified" components we have in Ubuntu, it is still an open source operating system. Which in itself means that these additions will be open source. Meaning you get to fiddle with it as much as you want. Derivations will still exist and life will go on.
    Also, the licensing is wayyyyyyyyy different in the case of OSX compared to Linux.
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans

Ubuntu is backed by a business and businesses like to make money so it's not really surprising they'd embrace new ways to earn more money.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If Canonical writes a single line of code that allows you to buy or rent DRMed music or video, then I'm leaving. For real.

Canonical should not even consider DRM. I'm no Stallman, I'm just very opposed to DRM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    If Canonical writes a single line of code that allows you to buy or rent DRMed music or video, then I'm leaving. For real.

Canonical should not even consider DRM. I'm no Stallman, I'm just very opposed to DRM.
    Then too bad, since you're a minority.
    Canonical is not trying to make a OS conforming to all open standards serving a open-source loving market, they're trying to make a good OS usable for everyone on the world.

Some DRM is bad, I agree, but DRM can be done good (Steam for example)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

How is this news? Ubuntu has always supported ways of dealing with content that's encumbered by restrictions and DRM. The system you have right now will automatically install codecs for dealing with MP3, flash etc, and there are packages in the repos for you to watch those encrypted DVDs, etc, etc. One of the reasons Ubuntu has always been popular is precisely because it takes a pragmatic stance on non-free media content.

Storm in teacup time in freesoftwareland again I see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast