Thread: Is Ubuntu HD Ready?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Is Ubuntu HD Ready?

So, is Ubuntu HD-ready?

I've been keeping my eyes on emerging hardware and, knowing that Ubuntu for Android is in the works, I suddenly found myself wondering if Ubuntu is, effectively, HD-ready?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Is Ubuntu HD Ready?

What would qualify Ubuntu as being HD ready?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    What would qualify Ubuntu as being HD ready?

If rendered on an HD device, would the UI appear to be in high definition?

Beans

For the most part yes as long as you have a compatible video card and driver.
    Just dont expect stuff like blu ray to work.
    As for picture quality in general dont expect miracles of course, even Windows doesnt exactly utilize HD, sure the screen is brighter on a HD compliant screen but it wont have too much "wow" factor either way
    Last edited by MadmanRB; November 30th, 2012 at 02:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    For the most part yes as long as you have a compatible video card and driver.
    Just dont expect stuff like blu ray to work.
    As for picture quality in general dont expect miracles of course, even Windows doesnt exactly utilize HD, sure the screen is brighter on a HD compliant screen but it wont have too much "wow" factor either way
    Yes, assuming the HW is HD capable, of course... I do some graphics/photography work on the side, so this is a somewhat important question for me, especially if my work ends up being rendered on another user's HD device.

Since you mention it, I'm curious about your Blu Ray statement. Why is that?

Beans
    Hidden!

My understanding of HD isn't 100%, but seeing as my screen runs at a resolution of 1920x1080, doesn't that qualify as HD? And if it does then the Ubuntu UI works well as it looks crisp and clear.

Beans

Besause Blu ray is a broken down proprietary format that still has not been completely cracked for ubuntu.
    Unlike DVD which was relativity easy to crack Blu ray is just made to cause linux users pain (or non windows users period as so far blu ray is still not fully supported on OSX)
    In fact I suggest boycotting blu ray and only buy them if they offer DVD's for older computers.

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    My understanding of HD isn't 100%, but seeing as my screen runs at a resolution of 1920x1080, doesn't that qualify as HD? And if it does then the Ubuntu UI works well as it looks crisp and clear.
    Correct, no OS is truly 100% HD compliant on its own.
    Even OSX
    In the end it doesnt matter as linux in general seems to work okay with HDMI
    Last edited by MadmanRB; November 30th, 2012 at 02:45 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Besause Blu ray is a broken down proprietary format that still has not been completely cracked for ubuntu.
    Unlike DVD which was relativity easy to crack Blu ray is just made to cause linux users pain (or non windows users period as so far blu ray is still not fully supported on OSX)
    In fact I suggest boycotting blu ray and only buy them if they offer DVD's for older computers.

Even OSX
    Damn proprietary software formats. Then again, that's the main reason I switched to gnu/linux. I got very tired of the 'bs'. Regardless, I'm okay with not using blu ray on my device. It's kind of why I have a separate HDTV and dvd player...

Beans

Even OSX

Are you saying Blu ray doesnt work at all under linux ? cause it does ! it just isnt point and click out of the box and requires some play, or is that what you meant ?
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013