Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Got the wifi to work with ndiswrapper at least, submitting this post with it. I used the attached driver with ndiswrapper and on natty had to modify ndiswrapper itself to compile against the 2.6.38 kernel but you shouldn't have to worry about that in maverick.

Sorry about the double compression but I needed to use 7z to get it small enough to attach and gz to get a file format the forum would allow. file-roller should open it without problems although you may need to install the p7zip package first.

Edit: Since the wiki links to this post I thought I should update it with the current status. It seems for many people installing this driving and loading the ndiswrapper module causes the kernel to hang which can even cause the computer to fail to boot due to it loading the module on boot. When it does load correctly it appears to end up causing the internal keyboard and mouse to stop responding after a short time. I would advise using this as a last resort if you cannot use ethernet or some kind of USB networking (tethering, wifi dongle, etc).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Amaranth; April 4th, 2011 at 08:01 AM.
    Travis Watkins
    Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Compiz

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thank you for that driver. I will be installing it soon. Once I can get my touchpad working. I don't know what I did, but I can't click on anything. I'm comfortable enough with using the keyboard, but sometimes, you just need the cursor.

At this point I have messed with som many different configuration files and it is still early enough in the process that I may just wipe and start over again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    Got the wifi to work with ndiswrapper at least, submitting this post with it. I used the attached driver with ndiswrapper and on natty had to modify ndiswrapper itself to compile against the 2.6.38 kernel but you shouldn't have to worry about that in maverick.
    I'm purchasing an 8,1 MBP in the next few days and am planning on going straight to natty. Can you post a patch for your ndiswrapper changes or maybe submit them upstream? I understand, based on the topic, that this thread is about maverick, but it seems to make a lot more sense, for most users, to go straight to the natty alphas (since they won't necessarily have to deal w/ the xorg-edges ppa, etc to get video working)

Beans

Thanks, I can confirm that the driver with ndiswrapper works fine (tried on natty). I'm experiencing some freezes from time to time on booting but i'm not sure that's due to the wifi driver or something else being natty unstable.

The next step is to get the touchpad + fn keys working. there's still no mactel ppa for natty so i'll try to install bcm5974-dkms from source and post the results here.

Beans

Yeah, bcm5974-dkms doesn't include the ID for the touchpad in the 8,1 and adding it to the driver doesn't make things work so I suspect more work is needed there.

As far as ndiswrapper goes, I later discovered upstream SVN already has the exact same changes I made so I wasted time duplicating effort there.
    Travis Watkins

Beans

FYI, I've created a new community doc page at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro8-1/Natty

I've also added a link to the page from the main MacbookPro page on the community doc site. The page also links back to this thread.

Please feel free to update with any info you discover over time. I will begin working on it myself and get it into shape along with the other pages. As stated in my previous post, I think focusing on Natty makes a lot of sense, going forward (but that's just my opinion).

Beans

Ok, so after a reboot loading ndiswrapper in to the kernel causing it to hang quite solidly. Back to the drawing board...
    Travis Watkins

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ruiferreira View Post
    The network card is Broadcom 4331 which is brandnew and doesn't seem to be supported by any driver.
    Has anyone verified that this is the case with the newest broadcom proprietary drivers? Specifically the ones at http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php ?

It lists the 4311 as being supported.. so is 4331 a typo, perhaps? If not, the linked page has a support mailing list for linux issues, maybe firing off a message to that list is in order?

Sorry I can't do much to help atm, still waiting to purchase my MBP :/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Installed natty, ran updates, rebooted, and I can no longer start X. I'll have to figure out what went wrong later. Right now, I have to get some work done.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    Ok, so after a reboot loading ndiswrapper in to the kernel causing it to hang quite solidly. Back to the drawing board...
    Any luck with this? Thanks heaps for your effort.

Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast