Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damn the Amigas were fast!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Damn the Amigas were fast!

I've got two of them. And they are really fast.

Here's a video-out of them: (captured using a TV card)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Vf-u-idG8

Why can't all computers be that fast? We have much more power than the 14mhz Motorola 68000k. If one were to build a computer today they couldn't even achieve the 7 second bootup, but why not? I believe the closest you can get is to image Linux onto a BIOS chip.
    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Damn the Amigas were fast!

Quote Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
    I've got two of them. And they are really fast.

Here's a video-out of them: (captured using a TV card)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Vf-u-idG8

Why can't all computers be that fast? We have much more power than the 14mhz Motorola 68000k. If one were to build a computer today they couldn't even achieve the 7 second bootup, but why not? I believe the closest you can get is to image Linux onto a BIOS chip.
    More stuff to load?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

the amiga 500 come stock with a 7 Mhz 68000.was a computer wwwwaaaaayyyy ahead of its time
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

But why is there more to load. I guess we can't expect them to load in 5-7 seconds, but at least 20 seconds to load everything.

I guess a good source of optimization would be only loading what is absolutely necessary. For example, a computer with a wifi chipset only needs to load the driver and have that on its HDD, it doesn't need the other wifi chipset drivers.

Meh, I'm a speed freak. I would like a fast computer.
    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

23 seconds here. I think the thing slowing me down most is GDM, I should really use something else.

There was less to load back then - about 10 seconds of my boot up time is loading the GUI, the Amigas weren't messing around with any of that stuff. I'm not sure what's been added over the past 20 years (other than the GUI), but most modern OSs probably wouldn't even fit in the Amiga's HDD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    23 seconds here. I think the thing slowing me down most is GDM, I should really use something else.

There was less to load back then - about 10 seconds of my boot up time is loading the GUI, the Amigas weren't messing around with any of that stuff. I'm not sure what's been added over the past 20 years (other than the GUI), but most modern OSs probably wouldn't even fit in the Amiga's HDD.
    mine is 23 seconds aswell (According to bootchart)

I think its modprobe and udev thats taking the time on this machine

back on subject, the amigas were abit before my time, i have one in the wardrobe that my neighbor gave me, but i havnt got around to playing with it yer
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

No joke, the A500 was a super advanced machine for its time. It was the first computer I ever used, and I still remember what I could do with it that parallels some of the things I do now, especially in the realm of digital music creation.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

14 seconds at 1Ghz here. If you want a faster boot, do something to change the software you use.

And +1 to the "Amigas were way ahead of their time" comment.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The first video only shows Kickstart loading, and then asking for the OS disk. Would the modern equivalent not just be a computer running the BIOS tests and then asking for an OS?

Have you seen the PC's with the 'LinuxBIOS'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuzRsXKm_NQ
    Last edited by Daveski; July 27th, 2008 at 11:33 PM.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it snapped off.
    Ubuntu user number # 12234

Beans

Try an optimized distro like Arch Linux.
    Acer Aspire 3680, Intel Celeron M, 1.41 GB RAM
    Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast