Thread: Grub and Partitions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Grub and Partitions

My expertise with Ubuntu/Linux is not good, but I'm trying to learn.

I have several partitions on my HD which are essentially grouped in pairs with a Ubuntu installation in each pair group. The first partition in a pair is for '/' and the second is for '/home'.

As you can see from the image above, I am currently running the Ubuntu installation at sda5/6, which is my 'production' system based on Raring. sda7/8 is a Saucy upgrade of Raring copied from sda5/6. sda9/10 is a Saucy mini iso install with a bunch of Gnome thrown in (my disappointment continues). sda11/12 is a daily CD install of Xubuntu Saucy. In each install, the Hostname is set as per the partition label, ie raring-a, saucy-a, saucy-b etc. Occasionally, I end up in unfamiliar Linux territory, end up crunching things and have to resort to Boot-Repair to get me back to a bootable/workable system. However, I am inexperienced with Grub and end up with a Grub list that looks like this:

Even Xubuntu is being listed as Ubuntu.

What I would like is that on boot Grub would display the Hostname or the partition details instead of "Ubuntu Saucy Salamander etc etc". My dream world is for a listing along the lines of:

Ubuntu Raring on sda5
    Advanced Options for Raring on sda5
    Ubuntu Saucy on sda7
    Advanced Options for Saucy on sda7
    Ubuntu Saucy on sda9
    Advanced Options for Saucy on sda9
    Xubuntu Saucy on sda11
    Advanced Options for Saucy on sda11

I've read a couple of howtos on modifying grub and waded through the Grub manual, but this is a little beyond me. Even Grub Customizer left me scratching my head. Any/all suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by PJs Ronin; May 19th, 2013 at 03:37 AM. Reason: clarity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Grub and Partitions

I have a lot of installs in my sdc drive. I keep /home inside my install and use data partitions for all my data. I am aggressive about moving data including some of the normally hidden files & folders like Firefox & Thunderbird profiles into my data partitions.

Then the first thing I do is turn off os-prober and copy my 40_custom into my new install. Edit for a new partition. I boot partitions as I learned from Ranch Hand, but cavsfan document that plus some other grub customization.

How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.- Cavsfan
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...tomGrub2Screen
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2076205
    Older thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1542338

I first saw this from Ranch hand
    Note that this does not define the kernel. It defines the partition. It boots the newest bootable kernel that it finds at that partition. example based on sda13 change all 13's to your partition number.
    At least for Ubuntu family OS's, they all place symlinks in /, called vmlinuz and initrd.img These point to the most recent versions of the kernel in the /boot folder.
    More info:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1542338

menuentry "Daily on sda13" {
    set root=(hd0,13)
    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda13 ro quiet splash
    initrd /initrd.img
    }

You can put any description you like and can boot one older kernel also as the link is backed up as .old at the end.

#Add menu entry to 40_custom, change example from sda13 to your partition.
    gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    #Turn off prober
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    #Add this line
    GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
    #update grub menu
    sudo update-grub
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
    Or
    sudo echo GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true >> /etc/default/grub
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I have a lot of installs in my sdc drive. I keep /home inside my install and use data partitions for all my data.
    Yeah, I am slowly coming to the conclusion that that's a better way to operate. I'm starting to understand that '/home' really doesn't do a heck of a lot except for some local customization so I may start changing to a single '/' for each install for everything except data. Like you, I also have a separate data partition (on a separate HD) which really saves a lot of time/effort when bedding in a new distro.

Thanks for the links... time to do some more reading

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Pretty happy camper right here folks, and I've only read the first link. Thanks Fred.