Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft porting Office to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs up Microsoft porting Office to Linux?

Wow, this could be a boon to Linux AND be a sign of changing times, all wrapped up in one!

Article: Microsoft may bring Office to Linux in 2014
    Of course, nothing is officially announced, and I'm not sure the connection to Java is quite enough to warrant that BUT keep in mind that Microsoft is working fairly closely to Xamarin, the company made by previous Mono developers. A Microsoft Office running on top of Mono for cross-platform compatibility is not all THAT big of a stretch!

I don't know what Office has been written in, or how far they have gone with its push into the Office Online but this could be very interesting, and beneficial, news! It also means that Linux *IS* gaining enough ground to get recognized.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Re: Microsoft porting Office to Linux?

Well as Larry David says curb your enthusiasm. Not all of us need or want MSO, even many Windows users don't need it., they have it because of the piratebay. I would rather see open formats becoming standard than deeper entrenchment and wider addiction to MS's closed formats.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Well as Larry David says curb your enthusiasm. Not all of us need or want MSO, even many Windows users don't need it., they have it because of the piratebay. I would rather see open formats becoming standard than deeper entrenchment and wider addiction to MS's closed formats.
    After the recent Internet Explorer debacle I don't look forward to MS Office on linux. Since I'm retired I don't have corporate pressure to use MS Office - I've found Libre Office suits my needs perfectly!
    Last edited by lisati; May 1st, 2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Fix MS typos
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Maybe because LibreOffice is increasingly becoming a worthy competitor, MS wants to attack it on its main platform, Linux.

Beans

This came up a bit over a year ago, too: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2113222

I still think encouraging Linux users to adopt Office 365 makes a lot more sense as a strategy for Microsoft than porting Office to Linux.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    This came up a bit over a year ago, too: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2113222

I still think encouraging Linux users to adopt Office 365 makes a lot more sense as a strategy for Microsoft than porting Office to Linux.

And that is on a subscription basis. Who want's to pay MS every year. Where my daugther works did that and they pay $150
    per year. And only two of them use it. Google docks would be better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am not sure if their focus is on corporate users, or students.

The thing is, thinking that "it's ported to Android, and Android runs Linux and Java so it will be a hop-skip and a jump to port it to Linux" is a little oversimplifying.

Competition breeds strange bedfellows. Maybe Google's push for Docs to run offline is prompting Microsoft to seek new markets? Or could they think that when the desktop market collapses, Linux will fill the void? Or is there more Linux included in BYOD offices? Or is Office doing poorly in national markets while Ubuntu seems to be improving? Or could it be more nations are moving to open source for government and school computers? Who knows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Interesting. I use Office VBA a lot at work, and I'm thinking how porting that particular part of the application set to Linux would work. For my money, if it weren't for VBA macros I'd use LibreOffice even on Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PondPuppy View Post
    Interesting. I use Office VBA a lot at work, and I'm thinking how porting that particular part of the application set to Linux would work. For my money, if it weren't for VBA macros I'd use LibreOffice even on Windows.
    There's no gaurentee that VBA will be included in the Port. Office for Windows RT doesn't include VBA capabilities and I don't think they are planning on putting it in anytime soon.

It would be great if they did, however.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Not just LibreOffice but even Kingsoft is a very good alternative. I'm not extensive office user but I've not missed MS Office at all even since I came to Linux.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast