Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Alsa 1.0.18 Installation Script

Beans

Re: Alsa 1.0.18 Installation Script

soundcheck it worked awesome with the manual install thing. thank you very much

Beans

I'm in a pretty foul mood right now; meltdown has occured right on schedule.

I tried to compile / install this new alsa package, and it completed without errors; after a reboot I had alsa 1.0.18 on all fronts ("cat /proc/asound/version", "alsactl --version", "aplay --version"). So much for the good part.

I came here looking for a new ALSA version for improved hda-intel support (see this thread for details), but the new driver seems to be even worse: not only did it not get me the missing controls/get rid of the noise but now I had no capture mixer controls whatsoever. Only playback.

Even worse, ALSA 0.18 might have compiled OK, but killed my tv tuner's DMA sound, normally serviced by saa7134_alsa, which now refused to start with this:

Code:
    [ 1996.615704] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_ctl_add
    [ 1996.615715] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_add
    [ 1996.615786] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_new
    [ 1996.615789] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_new
    [ 1996.615921] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_register
    [ 1996.615923] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_register
    [ 1996.616058] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_free
    [ 1996.616061] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_free
    [ 1996.616176] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_stop
    [ 1996.616178] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_stop
    [ 1996.616318] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_ctl_new1
    [ 1996.616321] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_new1
    [ 1996.616654] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_new
    [ 1996.616656] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_new
    [ 1996.616723] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
    [ 1996.616725] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
    [ 1996.616853] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
    [ 1996.616856] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
    [ 1996.617049] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_integer
    [ 1996.617053] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_integer
    [ 1996.617280] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
    [ 1996.617283] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
    [ 1996.617333] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_step
    [ 1996.617335] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_step
    My problem is that I haven't been able to undo this ever since. I had made a copy of the entire /lib/modules/2.6.24-21-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/ folder before attempting install; now I tried to copy it back over; it didn't help. Tried to obliterate (purge/uninstall) alsa-base from the package manager, it didn't help. Tried to do it again, for "linux-sound-base", "alsa-base", "alsa-utils", as described in the sticky "comprehensive sound problems...", then tried to get the official "alsa-source" and compile it as described in the same sticky; It compiled eventually; but it didn't help. Same error, saa7134_alsa cannot be loaded.

The wall starts to crack where I bang my head on it.

I am aware that this is not Soundcheck's script's fault, probably not even ALSA's fault, since the same saa7134_alsa seems to have had similar problems around may this year. Allegedly fixed. And same about two years ago. Surely fixed by now. Or is it?

But the thing is I'm sitting here with an almost-broken Myth-box (fell back to the noisy CD-cable-sound as described in the other thread). Does anybody have any idea how to get out of this? It worked fine before... Help. Pretty please...?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRiderOnTheStorm View Post
    I'm in a pretty foul mood right now; meltdown has occured right on schedule.

I tried to compile / install this new alsa package, and it completed without errors; after a reboot I had alsa 1.0.18 on all fronts ("cat /proc/asound/version", "alsactl --version", "aplay --version"). So much for the good part.

I came here looking for a new ALSA version for improved hda-intel support (see this thread for details), but the new driver seems to be even worse: not only did it not get me the missing controls/get rid of the noise but now I had no capture mixer controls whatsoever. Only playback.

Even worse, ALSA 0.18 might have compiled OK, but killed my tv tuner's DMA sound, normally serviced by saa7134_alsa, which now refused to start with this:

Code:
    [ 1996.615704] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_ctl_add
    [ 1996.615715] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_add
    [ 1996.615786] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_new
    [ 1996.615789] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_new
    [ 1996.615921] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_register
    [ 1996.615923] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_register
    [ 1996.616058] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_free
    [ 1996.616061] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_free
    [ 1996.616176] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_stop
    [ 1996.616178] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_stop
    [ 1996.616318] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_ctl_new1
    [ 1996.616321] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_new1
    [ 1996.616654] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_new
    [ 1996.616656] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_new
    [ 1996.616723] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
    [ 1996.616725] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
    [ 1996.616853] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
    [ 1996.616856] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
    [ 1996.617049] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_integer
    [ 1996.617053] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_integer
    [ 1996.617280] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
    [ 1996.617283] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
    [ 1996.617333] saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_step
    [ 1996.617335] saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_step
    My problem is that I haven't been able to undo this ever since. I had made a copy of the entire /lib/modules/2.6.24-21-generic/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/ folder before attempting install; now I tried to copy it back over; it didn't help. Tried to obliterate (purge/uninstall) alsa-base from the package manager, it didn't help. Tried to do it again, for "linux-sound-base", "alsa-base", "alsa-utils", as described in the sticky "comprehensive sound problems...", then tried to get the official "alsa-source" and compile it as described in the same sticky; It compiled eventually; but it didn't help. Same error, saa7134_alsa cannot be loaded.

The wall starts to crack where I bang my head on it.

I am aware that this is not Soundcheck's script's fault, probably not even ALSA's fault, since the same saa7134_alsa seems to have had similar problems around may this year. Allegedly fixed. And same about two years ago. Surely fixed by now. Or is it?

But the thing is I'm sitting here with an almost-broken Myth-box (fell back to the noisy CD-cable-sound as described in the other thread). Does anybody have any idea how to get out of this? It worked fine before... Help. Pretty please...?
    If you want to get the things being solved you need to get a bit more relaxed.

I think you are pretty aware that playing with this manual upgrade bears some kind of risk and it is rather meant for Linux hackers then standard users.

As you've seen in the recent posts, if I am able to communicate properly to Alsa, the way I described it in my opening post, they'll provide us with patches respectively updates.

THX

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    If you want to get the things being solved you need to get a bit more relaxed.
    Sorry if I sound a bit dramatic, but this really feels like drowning for a non-hacker, and I do try to stay relevant to the subject save one or two sentences. I did state that your script now basically works for me too. If one tries to upgrade Alsa this way they'll thoroughly break their Philips tuner audio support, and the previous post is a chance for them to find that out beforehand.

I think you are pretty aware that playing with this manual upgrade bears some kind of risk and it is rather meant for Linux hackers then standard users.
    Crystal clear. I hope you are aware as well that given the state of support for fairly common hardware in Linux and the policy of not backporting updates even for Ubuntu LTS releases one does not really have a choice whether to tinker with "hacker stuff" or not the very moment one wishes to do more than open Firefox. See, I'm not messing with Alsa because I want to...

Also, I expressed that I don't particularly hold anyone "responsible" for my mess: I did it. But it's there, and it's quite scary - for me. People who can compile Alsa while they sleep don't come here. They just do it.

As you've seen in the recent posts, if I am able to communicate properly to Alsa, the way I described it in my opening post, they'll provide us with patches respectively updates.
    That's great. Now, with all due respect - would you/anyone have any ideas regarding how one can undo what the script does if one needs to, how Alsa relates to saa7134_alsa, or perhaps what's wrong with Alsa's previous/current support for Intel HDA / ALC880...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Worked great - thanks a lot!

Latest update 11/27/2008
    Latest Alsa upgrade script update 11/12/2008 Rev. 1.12
    Latest uxchecker script update 11/16/2008 Rev. 1.05
    Latest Alsa-Package update: 11/12/2008 (1.0.18a)

BACKGROUND:

The main idea of upgrading ALSA (the mainline Linux sound layer including all soundcard drivers) with attached script,
    it is the delay of updates through official channels in the range of at least half a year.
    You can imagine that half a hear means a lot in this fast moving soundcard business.
    Especially people buying new machines can't wait half a year to get their soundcards going.

GENERAL REMARK (my personal point of view):

Some general comments to ALSA or better Linux Audio and the partial lack of soundcard or soundcard feature support:

ALSA's sometimes limited or restricted soundcard support is first of all a soundcard industry problem and second a resource
    shortage of the ALSA-team.
    Many card manufactures neither offer interface descriptions to ALSA, nor they're getting involved in developing the drivers.
    This might have to do something with "opensource only" at ALSA.

I don't really understand why it is so difficult to handle soundcard drivers the same way as done with GPU drivers such as fglrx from AMD.
    There is a way to get proprietary closed-source drivers in place. OSS - an ALSA alternative - from 4-Front-Technologies.
    For a very limited number of soundcards (e.g. Lynx cards) they offer proprietary non-open drivers.

Beside that ALSA is always looking for serious volunteers to be able to cope with the high demands arising from a continuous technology evolution and permanently growing number of (non-)standardized soundcards, countless distributions and kernels.

I personally hope that due to the power of the fast growing number of Linux users and also PC manufacturers this situation might improve
    in the future.

UPGRADE:

Disclaimer:
    The script is currently not in line with Debian/Ubuntu rules for package handling. It just overwrites existing files.
    You won't see a change on the ALSA package-id within Synaptic!
    It is gonna be difficult to rollback to the original. You might try to reinstall your kernel-image and headers and all ALSA packages from Synaptics
    if you experience problems. However, usually the script recognizes severe problems and won't mess up your setup. If the script stops with an
    error-message nothing should have been touched!

Ubuntu upgrades/updates might overwrite your manual installation once in a while (e.g. kernel-upgrades or ALSA-package upgrades).
    You just need to rerun the upgrade-script with the -i option in this case.
    Major upgrades can also overwrite some important configuration files such as /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.
    You need to restore your old configuration manually in this case. Keep always a copy of your modified alsa-base file!

I won't take any responsibility for mess-ups by using the scripts!
    However - I do my best to avoid these.

I also rely on your support to improve the script and really appreciate your involvement.

The current script supports

Alsa 1.0.18a (stabil)
    See changelog: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind....0.18_v1.0.18a

and

Ubuntu kernels: 2.6.24, 2.6.26, 2.6.27 family (including rt-kernel & ZEN-kernel)

Temporary Restriction:
    11/16/2008: Ubuntu 8.04 with kernel 2.6.24-xx: latest alsa-drivers 1.0.18a won't compile on 2.6.24-x kernel familiy !!! ),
    For now, you can use a preliminary workaround http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...9&postcount=65 .
    As soon as I know at what date an official update can be expected, I'll let you know.

Supported packages:

ALSA 1.0.18a

DRIVER=alsa-driver-1.0.18a
    FIRMWARE=alsa-firmware-1.0.17
    LIB=alsa-lib-1.0.18
    PLUGINS=alsa-plugins-1.0.18
    UTILS=alsa-utils-1.0.18
    TOOLS=alsa-tools-1.0.18
    OSS=alsa-oss-1.0.17

Compare above list with http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Download before you start the script.

You can run the script as many times as you want!

As usual - Make a backup first! - You never know.

Changelogs you'll find inside the scripts!

Hint:
    The easiest and most reliable test to verify if Alsa is working is "aplay" - the Alsa player application.

Type in a terminal:
    $ aplay -l

If you see your soundcards, you're almost there.

To test your first (default-index 0 X=0) soundcard, type e.g.:
    $ aplay -Dplughw:X,0 -fcd /<your-music-directory>/<replace-this-with-your-soundfile>.wav
    or e.g.
    $ speaker-test -Dplughw:X,0 -c2
    replace the X with the index of your soundcard index , which you find out by typing "aplay -l" - look for "card X"

Multichannel you can test the following way:
    1. Type $aplay -L to find out about your pcm device . e.g "surround51"
    2. Type $speaker-test -D surround51 -c6
    Note: If the channel mapping should be wrong you need to adjust it in .asoundrc

AND PLEASE: Before reporting "NO SOUND" problems - check if your alsamixer-channels are unmuted !! If your alsamixer controls show "MM" for muted at the bottom press "m" to toggle between unmute/mute. To access your 2nd soundcard respectively the index 1 soundcard you need to start alsamixer with "alsamixer -c1" . There are quite often headphone-jack, Toslink, SPDIF or microphone issues reported. Usually this also has something to do with a wrong alsamixer setting or more seldom with a wrong model-id of your soundcard assigned to your sound-driver.

Please read also this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012 if you don't get any further

The uxchecker-1.X.sh script will help you to collect environmental information with a special focus on your sound setup and Alsa for troubleshooting purposes.
    If you run it during playback, you'll also be able to log data-stream relevant parameters.
    Note: I would not recommend to post the entire logfile to the public! It contains partially sensitive data, which you might not want to expose!

The alsa-info.tar is a shell script collecting data, which are requested by the Alsa-Designers in case we encounter a real Alsa problem over here.

To make troubleshooting a bit more efficient, report:

1. Name your Ubuntu revision
    2. Kernel revision
    3. Alsa revision
    4. Upgrade script revision
    5. A bit of background what you've done resp. done before
    6. Attach the relevant logs
    (System related infos you'll find in the uxchecker.log)

Short AlsaUpgrade script install instructions:
    1. download the script and save it somewhere
    2. cd <your-download-dir>
    3. tar xvf AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.10.tar
    4. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.10.sh

(The same way you'll handle the uxchecker-1.0x.tar)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRiderOnTheStorm View Post
    S

That's great. Now, with all due respect - would you/anyone have any ideas regarding how one can undo what the script does if one needs to, how Alsa relates to saa7134_alsa, or perhaps what's wrong with Alsa's previous/current support for Intel HDA / ALC880...?
    As you can read now in the opening post - under General Comment - I made some comments why ALSA resp. the restricted/limited soundcard support is the way it is in Linux.
    OSX comes with a similar Unix structure, it shouldn't be very difficult to port OSX driver to Linux - if you really want it.
    All this is obviously highly political stuff.Believe me you're not the only one being annoyed about it.

All this is mainly my driving force for maintaining this script.

And it is people like you - lacking the hacker-gene - who need to put in a constructive manner more and more pressure on manufacturers and
    Linux to get this deficiency solved.

------------

I am working on a "restore" option. This will just reinstall all Ubuntu ALSA packages and your actual kernel with the driver modules. Should be available during this weekend.

I am also looking into making deb compliant packages for easier handling
    of the upgrade.

-------------

The ALC880 should be fully supported. We had that discussion earlier.

Please run the uxchecker-script and post the outputs.

Beans

Friend compiles correctly

Beans

Hi folks.

I just uploaded the new script 1.13-beta version of the upgrade script.

It now supports:

1: Restore of latest Ubuntu Alsa (related to your kernel version)

NOTE: For obvious reasons the Restore function is not working for non-Ubuntu-kernels. This should affect a minority only.

2: Kernel 2.6.28 (also Zen-kernel)

I put it up as Beta release, because I'd like to see some guys confirming that it is working on other machines then mine. You can restore and install
    as many times as you want.

Works like a charm on my machine.

Good luck.

Cheers
    Last edited by soundcheck; November 30th, 2008 at 04:46 PM.

Beans

Thanks the script worked fine for me.....mic gets a little fuzzy on the front speakers if left on, but headphones on the \nc10 work fine for intrepid now......mic is working also both from the front mic and the normal headphones......seems to be way more options for turning things on and off for mic/headphones etc...and about 4 different boosts for mics!!

Beans

Hello, I'm running 8.10 on a Macbook Air 2,1 that shows up an
    Code:
    heluani@vino:~$ lspci | grep Audio
    00:08.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1)
    After running the script I see the following card with aplay
    Code:
    heluani@vino:~$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC885 Analog [ALC885 Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC885 Digital [ALC885 Digital]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    but alsamixer shows card: HDA Nvidia (which is correct) Chipset: Realtek ALC889A (which is not what I was expecting from the output above). Needless to say, I still don't have any sound from the internal speakers. Any help will be really appreciated.

R.

Edit I should add perhaps that I get the following:
    Code:
    heluani@vino:~$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
    Codec: Realtek ALC889A
    Last edited by heluani; December 1st, 2008 at 02:14 AM.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast