Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: pam_usb login with USB memory stick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: pam_usb login with USB memory stick

I use pam_usb in sufficient mode for common-auth. I'd prefer to have some kind of notification or confirmation prompt or window respectively when pam_usb is used to authenticate. Without it, my setup practically grants root to any process as long as the usb stick is plugged in. Starting up synaptic, for example, leads to immediate pam_usb authentication. Had I not used it before, I wouldn't even know that I just granted root privileges to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bump

Beans

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for that. But you may want to ask for that on http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ however considering there are very few people that use it, it may not get bumped up a lot.

Beans

I am kind of a beginner and was wondering if you could give me detailed instructions on how to install PAM_USB.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Brothertucker View Post
    I am kind of a beginner and was wondering if you could give me detailed instructions on how to install PAM_USB.
    Post #18 in this thread should give a decent amount of information.

Beans

Everything is working fine ... but note the following.
    Tested on Ubuntu 8.10

PAM Module *IMPORTANT*
    According to the site above:
    Locate the following line on /etc/pam.d/common-auth or /etc/pam.d/system-auth:
    auth required pam_unix.so nullok_secure
    And change it to look something like that:
    auth sufficient pam_usb.so
    auth required pam_unix.so nullok_secure
    For Ubuntu 8.10, the above would cause strange behaviour, instead change it to the following:

auth sufficient pam_usb.so
    auth [success=1 default=ignore] pam_unix.so nullok_secure

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So I've been fiddling around with pam_usb for quite some time now and I have it working in many cases. I can login with the graphic welcome screen, I can bypass my password when resuming from xscreensaver and I can su,sudo su,gksudo just fine.

My issue is that all of this works only when the device is mounted. But the pam_usb site clearly states the device doesn't have to be mounted in order for authentication to take place. This defeats the primary function of pam_usb which is: sitting down, plugging in a usb device, and logging in with no password.

Should I have also altered fstab or a related file so the device would mount upon insertion, even if no user is logged in? Or does pam_usb just not have the proper authority to mount devices?

~Huckle Berry

Beans

Thumbs down Re: HOWTO: pam_usb login with USB memory stick

I have a completely different problem. Ive installed pam_usb through apt-get and it seems to be installed ok. However, when I try to add a device as per the instructions, I get the following errors:

Code:
    root@ubuntu:~# pamusb-conf --add-device SD1
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/pamusb-conf", line 258, in <module>
        '/org/freedesktop/Hal/Manager')
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/dbus/bus.py", line 244, in get_object
        follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 241, in __init__
        self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/dbus/bus.py", line 183, in activate_name_owner
        self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/dbus/bus.py", line 281, in start_service_by_name
        'su', (bus_name, flags)))
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/dbus/connection.py", line 622, in call_blocking
        message, timeout)
    dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files
    Anybody has anything similar? I can verify that the dependencies for pamusb-conf are met. I have tried to cover the dependencies of pamusb itself (libxml2, PAM, HAL and pmount) but arent these relevant only when compiling? Ive also updated dbus but to no change :/

Any help appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Code:
    root@ubuntu:~# pamusb-conf --add-device SD1
    would probably be better written as

Code:
    root@ubuntu:~# pamusb-conf --add-device=test
    note that there is a '=', no ' ', and that the name for the device is irrelevant because it is only used internally within pamusb-conf.

Are you using version 0.4.2-1 of libpam-usb and pamusb-tools? As I cannot recreate your error. If so, you may want to:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge pamusb-tools libpam-usb pmount
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get install pamusb-tools libpam-usb pmount
    This will remove the pamusb and it's major dependencies and configs then clear your cache of packages and redownload/install the libs. It is possible the copy you have got corrupted when you downloaded it.

post a "#pamusb-conf --verbose --add-device=WHATEVER" before and after you do the above suggestion.

Beans

Ive tried with the = but I still get the same error:

Code:
    root@ubuntu:~# pamusb-conf --add-device=SD1
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/dbus/bus.py", line 183, in activate_name_owner
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/dbus/bus.py", line 281, in start_service_by_name
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/dbus/connection.py", line 622, in call_blocking
        message, timeout)
    dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files
    The version is 0.4.2-1. Ive removed it and reinstalled it as you said but I still get the same error :/

Code:
    root@ubuntu:~# pamusb-conf --add-device=sd1
        message, timeout)
    any other ideas are more than welcome

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast