Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: GNObuntu ?

Beans

Re: GNObuntu ?

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    1. Figuring out what we're going to name the thing
    With respect, why the need to avoid the name Gubuntu? So what if Google uses a similar sounding name? I mean, they don't own the 'buntu name, and to me nothing fits the project better than Gubuntu. It makes sense alongside Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu.

I just don't get why the need to avoid the most obvious name. What's Google got to do with things? Gubuntu is the most obvious choice, and to me the alternatives don't really suit.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I agree and suspect some behind the scenes talks are going on between Google and Ubuntu. They are actually quite a talented pair.

Beans
    Hidden!

My question is, will this spin remove the dependencies and all that crapola that is associated with canonical?

Single sign on, ubuntuone, unity, gconf, compiz, music store, software center. All that sub-useful stuff.

In essence, will it be a vanilla spin, or a stracciatella spin with all the things left in that lead to friction?

Also, will we get the gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-control-center of upstream. It’s currently really broken because of a battery of patches.

Beans
    Hidden!

Also, call it Gubuntu. On the internet it doesn’t matter if it is a homophone, only spelling matters. And Goobuntu is a name internal to Google only anyhow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hugmenot View Post
    Single sign on, ubuntuone, unity, gconf, compiz, music store, software center. All that sub-useful stuff.

In essence, will it be a vanilla spin, or a stracciatella spin with all the things left in that lead to friction?

Also, will we get the gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-control-center of upstream. It’s currently really broken because of a battery of patches.
    • I don't see a problem with Ubuntu single sign on.
    • Ubuntu One isn't included at the moment. Its UI is a bit crazy and it depends on QT libraries which takes up extra space.
    • Unity won't be included
    • gconf is still used by several GNOME & GTK apps
    • Compiz is included, because GNOME Classic is currently included (with the indicators by the way because it makes the session far more useful by default)
    • It's currently using Rhythmbox and I don't see a problem with including various music stores.
    • I'm not sure whether it'll use Ubuntu's Software Center & Updater (update-manager) or gnome-packagekit (which will be called "Software" in the next release).
    • As has been stated since May, we're going to try shipping Epiphany & Abiword instead of Firefox & LibreOffice. "Documents" will not be included as it currently depends on LibreOffice.
    • We're even working to split out several customized Ubuntu settings to allow for a purer GNOME experience for those that want it.
    • Although splitting gnome-control-center and ubuntu-control-center was a goal for this release, no one has stepped up to do it yet.
    • As always, anyone can install other apps that they like after installing GNOMEbuntu.

Although I never used it, I believe the stracciatella session was a vanilla-ish GNOME experience.

I strongly disagree with your assessment of those apps & technologies as sub-useful. They are a big part of why Ubuntu is as popular as it is.

Beans
    Distro

I strongly disagree with your assessment of those apps & technologies as sub-useful. They are a big part of why Ubuntu is as popular as it is.
    +1 for that
    That's exactly the reason why I choose Ubuntu.

I have another question:
    What about the GDM log in manager, will it be used in GNOMEbuntu ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    +1 for that
    That's exactly the reason why I choose Ubuntu.

I have another question:
    What about the GDM log in manager, will it be used in GNOMEbuntu ?
    Yes, GNOME Shell 3.6 effectively requires GDM (it's used by the fancy new lock screen).

It might be possible for a LightDM greeter or extension to duplicate this functionality and be a swap-in, but we need someone to create that.

Beans
    Distro

@jbicha
    Thanks again for answering.
    GDM is just fine by me, I prefer GDM for Gnome

Gnomebuntu is, from what you are writing, really making some good progress, hope to be running it soon.

Beans
    Hidden!

Although I never used it, I believe the stracciatella session was a vanilla-ish GNOME experience.
    Thanks for the list. Stracciatella refers to a vanilla experience with some bits of Ubuntu-specific patches left in (i.e., the chocolate bits in the vanilla icecream). Some things make sense, like the indicators and their dependencies. But other things hold the whole stack up, like gnome-settings-daemon stuck at 3.4.2 in this mix of gconf and dconf limbo. It sucks.

Well, let’s say they are useful and necessary in the "monetization strategy" scheme of things, but they are not so popular with users because of intrinsic usefulness. It’s important that Canonical makes money, but the ways they tack on their stuff leads to lots of friction.

Beans
    Hidden!

• As always, anyone can install other apps that they like after installing GNOMEbuntu.
    I think my main interest stems from this. Will the GNOMEbuntu spin allow me to run a system closer to upstream by removing the patches and hard dependencies that were introduced?

Of course I can add and remove packages only to the extent that no conflicts arise. And the available PPAs only go so far.

The worst pain for me is the custom keyboard shortcuts and media-keys in g-s-d, which are broken because they still sit in Gconf.

Also I don’t understand why I need two separate online account thingies. The whole idea and its necessity is over my head.

One more thing, what about all those touch and gesture patches? Will you get rid of those too?

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast