Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change from Nvidia to Radeon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Change from Nvidia to Radeon

Hello everyone

I've recently changed from an Nvidia GeForce 8800GT512MB card to a Radeon HD 6870 card. I checked to see if the Radeon was compatible and had drivers first, which it does. I also run dual screens.

My issue is, I plugged the new card in and booted up ubuntu, and it gets throught the bios and everything fine (on both screens) then goes to the purple screen before the ubuntu loader, then it just goes black and doesn't boot my desktop up.

I run off my ubuntu disc and both displays run fine. So it seems I need to run off some kind of basic driver or tell the ubuntu on my hard drive to use different drivers. I guess there is a "safe mode" or something I go into? Or something I can do from the disc?

I'm running and typing to you all on the disc version now... so all hardware checks out ok.

Thanks in advance all.
    CPU
    : Intel® Core™ i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz × 4
    RAM: 8 GB | HDDs: SSD 64GB + 1T HDD x2 | Power Unit: 750 W
    GFX: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 2048 |
    Display: 4:3 (5:4 res) 19" Dual Screens

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Change from Nvidia to Radeon

Did you first uninstall the NVIDIA driver? If you didn't, that is more than likely the problem. You need to uninstall drivers before you remove a graphics card and replace it with another OEM's card.

The NVIDIA driver can be uninstalled and the ATI driver installed in recovery mode, if need be.

See my signature.

To get to recovery mode in a useful way, select recovery mode, then select networking in the recovery menu. That will get you access to the web and mount your drive as read write. Type exit.

When you get back to the recovery menu, select Root with Networking. Remember that you will be running with Root access, so be very careful.

Uninstall the NVIDIA driver from the command line

Then follow the instructions in the link in my signature. Print a copy of the initial post from another computer if need be.
    Last edited by QIII; June 18th, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Did you first uninstall the NVIDIA driver?
    No I don't really know how. I can't uninstall the NVIDIA driver with the NVIDIA card in it can I? And it doesn't even boot into my desktop with the radeon card so I can't install anything that way. When putting the ubuntu CD in I can run off that using some kind of default(?) driver but that's as far as I've got. Can I install stuff like that?
    The driver can be installed in recovery mode, if need be.

See my signature.
    Which link? There is one on how to install ATI drivers but it doesn't detail how to get into recovery mode.

To get to recovery mode in a useful way, select recovery mode, then select networking in the recovery menu. That will get you access to the web and mount your drive as read write. Type exit.
    Where do I select recovery mode? o.o From booting on the CD or some kind of grub boot menu or something? Do I click something on start up?

When you get back to the recovery menu, select Root with Networking. Remember that you will be running with Root access, so be very careful.

Then follow the instructions in the link in my signature. Print a copy of the initial post from another computer if need be.
    I'll run it off my tablet and do it that way. Seems safest

Thanks for your reply. Any chance on answers to the above?
    CPU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you still have the NVIDIA card, it might be easier to start over by putting it back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Drowz0r View Post
    No I don't really know how. I can't uninstall the NVIDIA driver with the NVIDIA card in it can I?
    Yes, you can. That might be easier, since you can do that from the Additional Drivers functionality. On rebooting after uninstalling the NVIDIA driver, you would revert to the open source driver. However, you might find yourself needing to use the "nomodeset" kernel option, which we can talk you through. But it would probably be easier if you uninstall the driver, shut down, remove the NVIDIA card, install the ATI card and reboot, you should start with the default open source driver for your ATI card.

And it doesn't even boot into my desktop with the radeon card so I can't install anything that way. When putting the ubuntu CD in I can run off that using some kind of default(?) driver but that's as far as I've got. Can I install stuff like that? Where do I select recovery mode? o.o From booting on the CD or some kind of grub boot menu or something? Do I click something on start up?
    If you hold down the space bar as you boot up, you will be presented with the GRUB menu and you can boot to recovery mode from there. However, if you still have the NVIDIA card, booting with it installed and removing the driver with the graphical tools might be easier.

Which link? There is one on how to install ATI drivers but it doesn't detail how to get into recovery mode.
    I described how to get into recovery mode above. However, if you put the NVIDIA card back in, you may be able to boot without issues and avoid the recovery mode completely when uninstalling the NVIDIA driver.

I'll run it off my tablet and do it that way. Seems safest
    Not quite sure how you intend to do that. Get the NVIDIA card back in. Uninstall the driver. Shut down. Put the ATI card in. Reboot. It should start with the default driver. Then, follow the instructions in my signature.
    Last edited by QIII; June 18th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

If it's possible I would just recommend a fresh install.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Hidden!

Running a Radeon HD 6850...

On boot-up hold left shift. When you get the GRUB menu, press e to edit it. On the second last line (the one with something like "nosplash) add nomodeset... press ctrl+x to boot.

Once in on the desktop environment remove the additional drivers already installed (for nvidia)... then reboot following the same steps above for nomodeset, run the additional drivers utility again and install (not the post update because it normally doesn't work).

Then in a terminal run sudo aticonfig --initial.

Reboot and your done.

PS - And if I stop being so lazy I would have added this with screen shots to my blog ages ago :/

Beans
    Distro

Hello again

Ok guys, thanks. I'll give it a shot. I suppose a format is always a good plan B.

Thanks again!
    CPU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    If it's possible I would just recommend a fresh install.
    The "Blast off and nuke 'em from orbit" method is entirely unnecessary.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    run the additional drivers utility again and install (not the post update because it normally doesn't work)./
    With ATI, the Additional Drivers method does not always work well, but I do agree with the comment about avoiding the "...-updates" version.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    Running a Radeon HD 6850...

On boot-up hold left shift. When you get the GRUB menu, press e to edit it. On the second last line (the one with something like "nosplash) add nomodeset... press ctrl+x to boot.
    I did that, completely but it just takes me to a black screen with a blinking (text) cursor (like this _ ) at the top left of the screen and nothing happens.

Rebooted but just went back to how it was before.

Rebooted to get back into grub and it wouldn't.

Rebooted and went back into grub but it froze.

Rebooted again, got into grub,pressed E for edit and found the line I edited is now missing.
    Last edited by Drowz0r; June 18th, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
    CPU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast