Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

Beans

Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

See the blog post at http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/steamd-penguins/

Please, discuss below.

--Update--
    A survey for participating in the Linux Client Beta test is now avaliable at http://www.valvesoftware.com/linuxsurvey.php
    Last edited by sandyd; October 27th, 2012 at 04:18 AM. Reason: added survey

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Valve Announcement - Steam client coming to Ubuntu

a step in the right direction. now to get the HW support in order.... my sound card stopped working again after updates.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Yes if this keep going I don't need windows anymore

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is this the year of improbable events happening? A new version of Skype, Unity 4 and now Steam?

Of course, with Steam the proof will be with the support. And just one game so far - Left For Dead 2. What, not even the Portal games? Going by Mac Steam, I guess that we're going to be seeing a lot of indie and Unity 4-made titles on Linux Steam and little else - hope the games'll be good then!
    Last edited by Sslaxx; July 17th, 2012 at 11:57 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sslaxx View Post
    Is this the year of improbable events happening? A new version of Skype, Unity 4 and now Steam?

Of course, with Steam the proof will be with the support. And just one game so far - Left For Dead 2. What, not even the Portal games? Going by Mac Steam, I guess that we're going to be seeing a lot of Unity 4 titles on Linux Steam and little else - hope the games'll be good then!
    I sure hope we get good games since I've been thinking to switch to Linux completly but my gaming backround keeps me going back to win

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ead-2-to-linux

Awesome...this will bring A LOT of people to Ubuntu

- CH
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cement_head View Post
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ead-2-to-linux

Awesome...this will bring A LOT of people to Ubuntu

- CH
    Agreed! Since now they can't say you can't play with Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Sslaxx View Post

Of course, with Steam the proof will be with the support. And just one game so far - Left For Dead 2. What, not even the Portal games? Going by Mac Steam, I guess that we're going to be seeing a lot of indie and Unity 4-made titles on Linux Steam and little else - hope the games'll be good then!
    I believe the reason for L4D2 was because thats what they were playing in the office.

I'm stoked, I havent played my steam games in months/years because I hate booting into windows just to play a game and then having to boot back to do everything else.
    You can have quality, price, or performance, but you can only choose two.

Beans

Once they get their Source Engine running well then all their Source games will follow. I think the catalog will look a lot like the one on Steam for the Mac.

I wonder if Value is looking at creating the own "console" running a barebones linux install. That way the system resources can be used for the game not the OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BDNiner View Post
    Once they get their Source Engine running well then all their Source games will follow. I think the catalog will look a lot like the one on Steam for the Mac.

I wonder if Value is looking at creating the own "console" running a barebones linux install. That way the system resources can be used for the game not the OS.
    Absolutely, PC and Console Markets are slamming together faster than two very fast things, and you can market a Linux box similar to the Nexus line of Android phones, for both PC and Console benchmarks. So Valve can now compete with Microsoft on the box to television and monitor fronts, so they take up the Hardcore gaming gauntlet that Microsoft has cornered, and be the undiluted living room experience they always wanted to be. Only questions I have is this means anything for Netflix on Linux, since Valve can run make and break their own deals, and how to deal with Valve time on this project when there is a blog that documents everything they do. That and Source Filmmaker on Linux would be epic sauce on Linux. Blender can only get you so far.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clue

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast