Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Yes I just received my invite, I am probably one of the few interested Linux users who had not installed the beta yet

However only a few things on Steam are free, and it's definitely not open. Security they have done a reasonable job so far, just one known breach (their forums a year ago).

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Ji Ruo View Post
    Yes I just received my invite, I am probably one of the few interested Linux users who had not installed the beta yet

However only a few things on Steam are free, and it's definitely not open. Security they have done a reasonable job so far, just one known breach (their forums a year ago).
    Steam is free.

I also finally got an invite (then again, I installed it the day it became available so getting an invite is not really something you have to wait for).

(*hint* - See the gaming and leisure section**)

Beans

Old news I am in the beta and there's quite a few ways to get steam now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    I downloaded and I installed Steam for Linux client and I setup my GUFW to allow the network ports so that I can connect to the Steam network. I am waiting for my invite. I applied for an invitation a few weeks ago.

Has anyone here gotten an invite in their e-mail inbox from Steam?

I am thinking that with the upcoming Christmas and New Year's Day holidays, Valve will send out more invitations to those that applied. I am hoping that they will invite me pretty soon.

I want to play some PC games using Steam for Linux, but I don't know which ones are interesting. I looked at the list of available PC games and I don't know which ones are good. I am looking for first person shooters and turn-based strategy games.

This is good news for Ubuntu users. I might be able to minimize the amount of time I use Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit now that Ubuntu is developing as a solid alternative that is free, open, and secure.
    Got my invite. TF2 is pretty good in my opinion. Only problem is that I need a separate drive to make sure I will have enough space on my SSD for anything else I install.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    Steam is free.

I also finally got an invite (then again, I installed it the day it became available so getting an invite is not really something you have to wait for).

(*hint* - See the gaming and leisure section**)

Steam has always been free as in beer. The games however are a different story.

I was one of the maybe half-dozen people who waited for an invite (or failing that an official release) instead of just downloading the .deb.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Perhaps it's time to rename this topic. It's very clear that steam wont be released this year.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pompel9 View Post
    Perhaps it's time to rename this topic. It's very clear that steam wont be released this year.
    maybe they will make it a Christmas present
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    maybe they will make it a Christmas present
    That would have been cool

But after hearing that there are so many bug that needs working on, I seriously doubt it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by pompel9 View Post
    That would have been cool

But after hearing that there are so many bug that needs working on, I seriously doubt it.
    I have noticed Big Picture mode is terrible, but that is because it is SLOW. Not good on Intel graphics.
    Other than that, I do not really see many bugs in my testing. But then again, the only game I have that is on Linux so far is TF2.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920