Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austin Loco - Meeting (OP edited with latest Info)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Austin Loco - Meeting (OP edited with latest Info)

*Updated*
    What to know
    • Meeting will be on November 29th, 2009 @ 9pm.
    • Meeting will be primarily IRC. If you want to meet in meatspace, organize that separately.
    • IRC Documentation

*/Updated*

We need to get the ball rolling on scheduling a meeting. I've never really planned something like this, so I'm not sure what venues are preferred and such. Another Question is, what would be needed?

Any ideas for Schedule/Venue?

If discussion does happen, it will likely happen here
    Last edited by Druke; November 24th, 2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Updating Op

Beans

Re: Austin - Loco Meeting

I live in Georgetown. I noticed that there is supposed to be a meeting in Austin every 3rd Sun of the month, so I was going to show up. But there are no minutes since Jan., and now, you are saying that we need to schedule. So, am I to understand that there is no 3rd Sun meeting at the coffee house this weekend?
    Why is there something rather than nothing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I believe that Waco is fairly Central for the entire state.

I beleive that the topic is suggestive. Texas is a huge state. Amarillo,Houston,Dallas, Austin among the many smaller areas with financially strapped users.
    Let us hear the consensus
    Last edited by catco_designs; November 14th, 2009 at 03:25 AM. Reason: this should move to Texas Team discussion
    Live as if every day was your last

Learn as if you could live forever

Beans
    Distro

Austin's wiki is very out of date, I am working on catching it up. I just haven't had time to sit down and change anything but the front page.

This thread is mainly pertaining to Austin specific loco.

Also if you clicked the link in #2, you will see the mailing list where we are discussing an IRC meeting in two weeks (28th or 29th).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by catco_designs View Post
    I believe that Waco is fairly Central for the entire state.

I beleive that the topic is suggestive. Texas is a huge state. Amarillo,Houston,Dallas, Austin among the many smaller areas with financially strapped users.
    Let us hear the consensus
    Are you suggesting that people from Amarillo come to Waco (of all places) to meet? I don't even want to go to a meeting in Waco, and I live in Georgetown. Since you're in Cleburne, is there a Dallas meeting that you can attend? I think that Texas is certainly big enough to justify at least a few regional LoCos that don't encompass the entire state.

Quote Originally Posted by Druke View Post
    Also if you clicked the link in #2, you will see the mailing list where we are discussing an IRC meeting in two weeks (28th or 29th).
    I had to look up the meaning of IRC in google. That's apparently some sort of chat-room thing? I'll think about it. When the interaction gets that close to real-time, I prefer actual face-to-face interaction. I quickly lose interest (and patience, ironically) when confronted with all the typing "shortcuts".

Beans
    Distro

Well, the meeting is mainly to be organizational. Austin Team has attempted to start up before; shortly fluttering into silence. So we are all lax to enter into a serious commitment until we know our members are fully on board. The meeting minutes will get posted onto the wiki page if you are unable to make it.

Beans

Well, the meeting is mainly to be organizational.
    Oh. I suppose then my participation would be inappropriate. I only want to learn and get an idea for who are the kinds of people that I am communicating with on these forums. I don't care much to have have a designated time for organizational discussions. I would rather have discussions regarding, for instance, how I can prepare to contribute to the next release, or what we can do to bring ubuntu to the masses.

Beans
    Distro
    I would love to have those meetings as well... Basically we're trying to create an Austin team that doesn't really exist yet. the "organizational meeting" is primarily to discuss what we want to get out for the group, what sorts of activities we want to take part in. The reason the meeting is via IRC is because there is no reason it cannot be, making it digital makes a more relaxed tone in the whole thing, and doesn't create any stress.

Really if you want to discuss this with other Austin members, it is best to move to the Austin mailing list (link in the wiki), where there is an existing topic.

thinking on this more...

The IRC "meeting" is really just us coming together and brainstorming on when we want to hold a real event. I'd really like to get started on broader events (install fests and such), but first we need to see who all is on board. If we get enough response, I see no reason why a few of us can't get together and act as one in the irc discussion.

If anyone want's do do an actual get together, speak up (like MichaelBurns did), and we can get stuff going. What's a good Austin central location? I'd honestly be willing to throw up my home as a meeting point but I can't cater to large numbers, and I'm south Austin. Does Zilker park have wifi? We could meet on the UT campus I presume, there are tons of sitting areas and such, I really don't know, but I have friends who do (who would probably join the group).

So, who in the Austin area is up for a meatspace rendez vous?
    Last edited by Druke; November 17th, 2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: cleaning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Ubuntu-Texas- Loco-Team-Meeting

I am willing to meet in Austin if that is more convenient. I don't look to be a leader I am just trying to organize a simple meeting that we can get a plan in the works it has been in planning for over two years.
    The state is large enough for a group that is simple.
    If you decide on something please let me know either by posting here or here

Lets get this thing off the ground it has been needed for a while.
    Cordially
    Daniel Stone

thinking on this more...

The IRC "meeting" is really just us coming together and brainstorming on when we want to hold a real event. I'd really like to get started on broader events (install fests and such), but first we need to see who all is on board. If we get enough response, I see no reason why a few of us can't get together and act as one in the irc discussion.

If anyone want's do do an actual get together, speak up (like MichaelBurns did), and we can get stuff going. What's a good Austin central location? I'd honestly be willing to throw up my home as a meeting point but I can't cater to large numbers, and I'm south Austin. Does Zilker park have wifi? We could meet on the UT campus I presume, there are tons of sitting areas and such, I really don't know, but I have friends who do (who would probably join the group).

So, who in the Austin area is up for a meatspace rendez vous?
    Live as if every day was your last

Learn as if you could live forever

Beans
    Distro

I'm not trying to schedule a cross Texas meeting, this is specifically for Austin people (hence the title), feel free to come as well (though it is primarily an IRC meeting, with a meatspace meet and greet for those who care to).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast