Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Game maker for Linux...

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Game maker for Linux...

Check out the game creation application called Stencyl it's currently under development and it's available for linux.

Beans

Well yeah Stencyl certainly seems like the most promising of the GM-alternatives, but there's nothing to see right now. It does have a large(ish) community that is waiting patiently for the first release, but there's only so long people will wait and it better be a pretty knockout product with all this hype it's generated. If it doesn't come in the next six months I think most people will mark it as vaporware...

Beans

Oh, I used to make so many games in Game Maker. If you're curious, I have them here: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=234946 They're not that great, but considering I was like 12 when I made them , they're not bad EDIT: I think the whole yoyogames thing ruined the community, makes it feel more proprietary, so I don't like it nearly as much as I used to, and of course there's no Linux support either.
    Last edited by doorknob60; June 8th, 2008 at 09:35 PM.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

I remember Game Maker... while more games of low quality is the last thing we need for Linux, something like it should probably be done... not that I'll be wasting my time to do it mind you.

Beans

Game Maker 5.3 and lower works perfect on linux, under WINE. The exported EXEs also run fine.

Honestly, 5.3 isn't all that far from 6, other than it doesn't use Direct X, and some of the more advanced 3D functions won't work. If you're making a good old 2D game it works great, though.
    Last edited by bconover; June 17th, 2008 at 03:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Just for a note, we released Game Baker 0.2.0 a week or two ago:
    http://code.google.com/p/game-baker/

We've got loads of new features if people want to have a play. The only major features we're missing so far are:

• Sound Effects
    • A way to edit graphics in the GUI
    • "No Code" scripting option

(i.e. you have to write some simple python in the event handlers, and you need to define sprites in a yaml file)

Features that we do have are:
    • Sprites
    • Fully usable scripting API
    • New Demo (Restaurant Game, still in development)
    • Objects have Paths objects they can follow
    • Basic Physics using real-time
    • Objects can inherit events
    • and much more . . .

If people try it out then feel free to post bug reports or join us on the developer mailing list.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by evymetal View Post
    Just for a note, we released Game Baker 0.2.0 a week or two ago:
    http://code.google.com/p/game-baker/

We've got loads of new features if people want to have a play. The only major features we're missing so far are:

• Sound Effects
    • A way to edit graphics in the GUI
    • "No Code" scripting option

(i.e. you have to write some simple python in the event handlers, and you need to define sprites in a yaml file)

Features that we do have are:
    • Sprites
    • Fully usable scripting API
    • New Demo (Restaurant Game, still in development)
    • Objects have Paths objects they can follow
    • Basic Physics using real-time
    • Objects can inherit events
    • and much more . . .

If people try it out then feel free to post bug reports or join us on the developer mailing list.

Awesome work! please do keep us posted on the improvements and new releases

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I might also mention that I have a goal of making a similar type of program in the next years but I have to complete iSoccer first!

The code that I will have after thats done should be good for making a few others including a GameMaker type program and also a Dark Basic type system too

But like I say its gonna take time

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by KhaaL View Post
    Awesome work! please do keep us posted on the improvements and new releases
    Thanks, we've been working hard on it.

There are a whole load of Summer of Code people working on PyGame related things, which should be done around October, (e.g. webcam and force feedback support) - so I'm really looking forward to what else we can access when future PyGame versions come out (we want to keep the required libraries down).

Personally I'm a bit busy for the next month or so, but I'm sure the rest of the team will be doing some work on it. We'd be very interested to hear what people are doing with it, so if you make a game then please post a link (or any questions) to the mailing list.

Don't know if I mentioned it before, but one of the priorities is to be able to run all created games on the OLPC ("$100 laptop") - although being in Europe I can't get my hands on one to develop yet (and an emulator's just not the same).

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast