Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New computer build

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

New computer build

Hi community. I'm looking for some input on building or buying a computer. I'm leaning toward a build for price, but let's put the cart before the horse. I HAVE to put Windows on it, at least one release bootable. The others I can vbox. Ubuntu will be the main OS I use. I don't do anything that requires a lot of beef, but I do want to build the most powerful computer I can. I occasionally will get on a gaming kick, but short of that it is general surfing, text editing, java, video etc. Here is the rest of the story.

I am looking to stay in a $500 US budget. I already have plenty of video cards, cases (ATX, mid ATX, but prefer the bigger case), PSUs from 850W to 1050, 8 Gb of DDR2 (I'll drop that in favor of DDR3), lots of sata HDDs (but would prefer SSD for the OSes). My old mobo died from the build I had about 5 or 6 years ago. Served me quite well, but now I need a new one. I'm willing to buy a new box if the price makes sense or use the stuff I have now or any combination of the two. I'm looking for 6 or more memory sockets, I am not brand loyal to AMD or Intel, and I am looking for a great deal. I tend not to overclock anything. I'm not really for or against it, but aside from curiousity it never really was a big deal for me. Oh, and I would like to RAID from 2-4 SATA drives, depending on what I have laying around.

Links in response to this or PMs are very much welcome. Interesting builds, cooling methods, and whatnot would be appreciated, but are not a requirement. I'm looking for ideas and help finding deals.

Thank you kindly.
    "If brute force doesn't solve your problems, then you aren't using enough."

Beans

Re: New computer build

So essentially what you require is a MB, CPU, RAM, SSD & maybe a new chassis for <$500?

What are the current GPUs you have?

Beans

A good graphics card is probably the highest priority, if you're going to be running Ubuntu a lot.
    If you're looking for a new one I hear Nvidia is having a huge sale on its 570 and 580 GeForce line.

Beans
    Distro

I have several "good enough" video cards. I'll probably stick a PCIe 1Gb DDR3 from the old box. I have AGP and PCIe cards for video. Prefer PCIe because I have better cards.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    So essentially what you require is a MB, CPU, RAM, SSD & maybe a new chassis for <$500?

What are the current GPUs you have?
    Chassis if it comes with a DIY kit, I suppose. I am looking at 4 empties right now. But essentially, yes, that is what I need.

Hehe, I always forget how far behind I get with GPUs, since I don't do much with them. EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked 1280 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 012-P3-1572-AR. What a monster! I have a hefty stack of video cards, but I am not against getting a new one. I am not sure I want half of my budget to go to a card, tho. I would prefer RAM, small-ish SSD, and decent processor to eat up the $500. There is a little wiggle room in the budget.

Thanks for the fast responses.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My system is based on an Asus V6-P8H61ELX barebones, the supplier added 4GB DDR3 RAM, an i3-2120 (3.3GHz), an Asus DRW-24B5ST DVD burner and a Seagate Barracuda 500GB and a card reader. It comes in a stylish black case, but it might be too small for four HDD (it might take three HDD in the 3.5"bay and there is one 5.25"bay free, leave out the DVD and it will fit). It retailed for €389, which is about $500, but in my experience for most electronic and computer stuff the exchange rate is 1:1, i.e. if it costs 300 Euros in Europe, it costs 300 dollars in the US.
    (The Google Nexus 7 16GB for instance retails here for €249 vs $249 in the US)

I added:
    another 4GB RAM (€23)
    Asus Geforce ENGT430 1GB (€54)
    SSD Corsair Force GT 60GB (€79)

Total €545, so you probably should be able to source that for $545 or less, since I bought the system in June.

It is a nice system, it looks and performs great. I use it for about the same uses you describe.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wednesday allfather View Post
    Hehe, I always forget how far behind I get with GPUs, since I don't do much with them. EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked 1280 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 012-P3-1572-AR. What a monster! I have a hefty stack of video cards, but I am not against getting a new one. I am not sure I want half of my budget to go to a card, tho. I would prefer RAM, small-ish SSD, and decent processor to eat up the $500. There is a little wiggle room in the budget.
    That GPU is plenty enough!!! I wish I had one of those

Ok now that we have got that out of the way which shops (microcentre, tiger direct etc etc) do you have close to you in case there are some local instore specials we can keep an eye out for.

Do you have an aversion to ASRock motherboards? I'm a Gigabyte/Asus person myself but I really like what I'm seeing in the new Asrock Z77 motherboards and the prices are good.

What size SSD would you prefer, 30, 60 or 120GB (or biiger)?

If you can answer the above three questions then we can start looking at some components for you.
    Last edited by mips; September 11th, 2012 at 11:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro

That GPU is plenty enough!!! I wish I had one of those

Ok now that we have got that out of the way which shops (microcentre, tiger direct etc etc) do you have close to you in case there are some local instore specials we can keep an eye out for.

Do you have an aversion to ASRock motherboards? I'm a Gigabyte/Asus person myself but I really like what I'm seeing in the new Asrock Z77 motherboards and the prices are good.

If you can answer the above two questions then we can start looking at some components for you.
    If it wasn't clear, that card was recommended. I have a stack of working older video cards, but nothing close to that powerful. I have a 1Gb Zotac (some off brand that I wound up with) and a 512 XFX that will probably end up in the build. Where I live, I pretty much have to rely on big box stores. Best Buy is sadly the best choice to buy components as far as brick and motar places go. I really don't care for that place, so it is all online for me. I don't have an aversion to anything. Note the AMD CPU. I've generally had good luck with ASUS and Gigabyte as well. I put together what I needed from Amazon (couldn't sleep) so I can post that for reference and/or ridicule.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A23NVCSO4PYH3S

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER x2 = 4x4gb sticks = 16GB

Beans

Motherboard $135
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157293 includes free 8GB ram.

Ram additional 8GB $42
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231546

CPU 15-3570k $230
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116504

Total for the above is $407

You need to decide whether you want 8 or 16GB of ram as it makes a $42 difference in price we can allocate towards a SSD & chssis.
    Using a i7-3770k CPU would push the cost beyond your budget, it's $100 more than the i5.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You need to decide whether you want 8 or 16GB of ram as it makes a $42 difference in price we can allocate towards a SSD & chssis.
    occasionally will get on a gaming kick, but short of that it is general surfing, text editing, java, video etc
    8GB is already more than you will ever need for the described use (I push on 4GB only when I have VirtualBox running which I gave 2GB for Windows XP).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast