Page 126 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1362

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Quote Originally Posted by roberthr
    I have some weird filename on Samba mounted fs which can't be read and since this file includes network key of a program, this program does not run. If I mount same filesystem with NFS it's ok.

The fstab with smb mounted system has a line:
    //192.168.50.5/desk /media/desk cifs guest,iocharset=utf8,noperm,file_mode=0777,dir_mod e=0777,rw 0 0

The problematic file has a filename ASP32$$$.ID2. No metter what I try with this file, I always get permission denied under CIFS

Is there a way to get around this?
    Take a look at the troubleshooting section under the heading Files owned by root / "The folder contents could not be displayed"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have been lurking around this thread for a couple of weeks now and have tried all of the fixes listed here. Problem is, none of them solved the long shutdown! (about 5 minutes)
    The startup goes fine, connects to multiple shares on my Buffalo Linkstation NAS, access is quick, etc...
    Code:
    //192.168.2.115/Jeff     /mnt/NASdocs        cifs     credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777  0 0
    //192.168.2.115/Download    /mnt/NASdownload        cifs     credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777  0 0
    //192.168.2.115/photos    /mnt/NASphotos        cifs     credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777  0 0
    //192.168.2.115/Backup    /mnt/NASbackup        cifs     credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777  0 0
    I can see and access ALL network shares on all computers/devices. All that works fine.

But none of the fixes for the long shutdown have any effect. I even removed network-manager completely (as posted somewhere in this thread) and installed gnome-network-admin. I tried all the fixes on page 1 and most of the others. Still the same. As a temporary solution I just made a little executable I click on to umount the cifs shares before logout
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    sudo umount -a -t cifs
    works like a charm but is not a permanent solution.

Here is my setup: (all IP addr are in the same subnet: 192.168.2.###)
    HP Pavillion dv7 (64bit) laptop using wifi (DHCP IP) running Mint 9 (latest updates)
    HP Pavillion dv6 (64bit) laptop using wifi (DHCP IP) running Windows Vista
    Buffalo Linkstation Quad 4TB - RAID5 - (static IP)
    Linksys NAT router w/WAP using WPA security and public DNS servers
    Netgear wireless print server (static IP)
    No firewalls behind router
    Throw in a Kodak wifi picture frame and a couple of iPhone's using wifi (DHCP IP for all 3)

All of this works flawlessly together except the shutdown on the Linux laptop. It's making me want to change to a different distro just to get away from this headache.

Any new info on this problem would be appreciated.

Jeff...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jeff8356 View Post
    I have been lurking around this thread for a couple of weeks now and have tried all of the fixes listed here. Problem is, none of them solved the long shutdown! (about 5 minutes)
    The startup goes fine, connects to multiple shares on my Buffalo Linkstation NAS, access is quick, etc...
    Code:
    //192.168.2.115/Jeff     /mnt/NASdocs        cifs     credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777  0 0
    //192.168.2.115/Download    /mnt/NASdownload        cifs     credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777  0 0
    //192.168.2.115/photos    /mnt/NASphotos        cifs     credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777  0 0
    //192.168.2.115/Backup    /mnt/NASbackup        cifs     credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777  0 0
    I can see and access ALL network shares on all computers/devices. All that works fine.

But none of the fixes for the long shutdown have any effect. I even removed network-manager completely (as posted somewhere in this thread) and installed gnome-network-admin. I tried all the fixes on page 1 and most of the others. Still the same. As a temporary solution I just made a little executable I click on to umount the cifs shares before logout
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    sudo umount -a -t cifs
    works like a charm but is not a permanent solution.

Here is my setup: (all IP addr are in the same subnet: 192.168.2.###)
    HP Pavillion dv7 (64bit) laptop using wifi (DHCP IP) running Mint 9 (latest updates)
    HP Pavillion dv6 (64bit) laptop using wifi (DHCP IP) running Windows Vista
    Buffalo Linkstation Quad 4TB - RAID5 - (static IP)
    Linksys NAT router w/WAP using WPA security and public DNS servers
    Netgear wireless print server (static IP)
    No firewalls behind router
    Throw in a Kodak wifi picture frame and a couple of iPhone's using wifi (DHCP IP for all 3)

All of this works flawlessly together except the shutdown on the Linux laptop. It's making me want to change to a different distro just to get away from this headache.

Any new info on this problem would be appreciated.

Jeff...
    Usually with multiple mounts, this problem is related to one mount. Try commenting them all and see if you still have a problem. Then try each mount separately to see which one is causing the problem. Then we can do more troubleshooting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Usually with multiple mounts, this problem is related to one mount. Try commenting them all and see if you still have a problem. Then try each mount separately to see which one is causing the problem. Then we can do more troubleshooting.
    No difference, long shutdown still exists.
    As mentioned in other parts of this thread, I am leaning towards the wifi being the problem. Also I started having problems with wifi dropping out momentarily. I did a clean OS install just to get back to basics and rule out any additional software I may have installed. The only thing I have changed since the clean install was deleting NM and using Wicd instead. Re-established my previous mounts in fstab. And, as before, everything works fine except the long shutdown.

After looking at my dmesg again I see I am having some problems with the ath5k driver for the wifi.

Code:
    [   42.076437] ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration timeout (2437MHz)
    [   42.493719] ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration failed (2442MHz)
    [   42.913720] ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration failed (2447MHz)
    [   43.333718] ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration failed (2452MHz)
    [   43.753706] ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration failed (2457MHz)
    [   82.084617] ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration timeout (2437MHz)
    And the list keeps getting longer over time!

I have read in many other threads that most Atheros users do have problems. So before I can try to fix the shutdown problem I will need to get my wifi working properly first. I have read some of the wifi threads here but unfortunately many of them pre-date my laptop, so I am off to hunt for more recent solutions.

BTW - Kudos to you for sticking with this for so long. 4 years and 100+ pages!?!?! Your a Saint!

I am using version 10.04 Intrepid

I'm connecting to a Samba server, Samba version 3.2.7-11.7.1

Only twice have I ever had cifs actually work for me. Tonight I've wasted two hours of my time only to find out that the old command:

mount -t cifs -o guest, file_mode=0666,dir_mode=0777 //192.168.x.x/NameOfShare /Path/To/Mount/Point

...that used to work, (when I passed the command as part of the /etc/init.d/smb script at artart up) doesn't work now.

The below...

mount -t cifs -o sec=none,uid=jack,file_mode=0666,dir_mode=0777 //192.168.0.30/dell /home/jack/Mortonassociate/DELL/

...now works. (At least for my situation.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh....Ohhhhhhh OHHHHH....ohhhhhh thaaaat's it. Ohhhhhhh. OHHHHHH!

To get the bloody thing to mount and work I created a script in /etc/init.d called CifsMountUnMount that mounts and unmounts the shares at startup.

It feels "freer" to just right click and select "share"

Never have I had any success at modifying /etc/fstab. I don't even bother.

#! /bin/sh
    # /etc/init.d/CifsMountUnmount
    #

# Some things that run always
    touch /var/lock/CifsMountUnmount

case "$1" in
    start)
    echo "Starting script CifsMountUnMount"
    mount -t cifs -o sec=none,uid=jack,file_mode=0666,dir_mode=0777 //192.168.0.30/dell /home/jack/Mortonassociate/DELL/
    mount -t cifs -o sec=none,uid=jack,file_mode=0666,dir_mode=0777 //192.168.0.30/drobo /home/jack/Mortonassociate/DROBO/
    ;;

stop)
    echo "Stopping script CifsMountUnMount"
    umount /home/jack/Mortonassociate/DELL/
    umount /home/jack/Mortonassociate/DROBO/
    ;;

*)
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/CifsMountUnMount {start|stop}"
    exit 1
    ;;

esac
    exit 0

Just copy that into a text file and place it in /etc/init.d/

Then run, at the command prompt:

update-rc.d CifsMountUnMount

And by golly it works.

Oh, but that solution won't work probably in six months and we'll all be doing this again. Well, I won't because I'm giving up on Linux.

And all those other web pages with elaborate explanations on them, yeah they got outdated too.

Apparently:

1. uid=jack lets me actually use the files I've mounted in my own home directory.
    (Reminds me of Vista...confirm or deny. "Would you like to install your printer, confirm or deny?" "The shell service says you want to install a program. Confirm or deny?" "The confirmation service says you want to confirm. Confirm or deny?")

2. "-o sec=none," lets me be a guest. The man page says if you specify guest, you need not supply a password. That is incorrect, at least with my version.

(Again, more Vista: "The guest service says you want to be a guest, confirm or deny? The Man page doesn't say you should use sec=none, so confirm." "Your parish priest thinks this is a good way to do gain penance. Confirm or deny?" "The confirmation service says you want to confirm. Confirm or deny?")

My mount point: /home/jack/Mortonassociate/DROBO/

My server ip is: //192.168.0.30

Share is: /dell

I'm sick of Linux. I'm sick of wasting time trying to figure this kind of crap out only to have to do it all over again every time I upgrade. (What a year??) I'm sick of Wine going nowhere and I'm sick of not having the apps required for the company I work for.

I was close in 2002. Nothing in 10 years. That year, the business I'm in, Linux could have been used to do everything required on the desktop.

Not any more because the Windows apps changed and Wine hasn't kept up.

I was close in 2002. Nothing in 10 years.

By the way it takes twice as long to find answers at Google for Ubuntu because I can't just search for 10.4 or just Intrepid. Part of the answer was found searching the term Debian.

But the entirity of this solution is a mish mash of other solutions plus some trial and error.

I'm sick of Windows, I'm sick of the not having a choice, I'm sick of having to ask for someone to hand me a box, I'm sick of installing Windows twice, I'm sick of broken Windows upgrades.

I left Suse because it kept mangling my master boot record. It took forever just to open the package manager. Repositories got old quick. It no longer supported my graphics cards - the same ones, upon an "upgrade" (no apps in repositories).

Four hours to figure this crap out.

11:00 PM before I leave to go home. "Yep, I was working on getting a Linux desktop to work. Sorry hon."

We have over 100 pages of questions, conflicting instructions (of no ones fault because they differ - hell everyone was kind to each other [and when kindness is frustrated, well, that annoys me]). At that point [100 pages] - the forms are no longer a resource.

Problem with Linux is that some things work for some people, others don't, all depending upon what version you use. And very unclear man pages.

Can Linux developers make up their mind so we can have some stability around here? As in - once we know what to do we don't got to relearn it again?

Might this be a desktop barrier?

Gee, I don't know. I'll get back to you on that one.

But at least it had KDE 3 at one point.

BTW - I think both Gnome and KDE 4 suck.

This has got to be the lowest point I've seen it in almost 10 years.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by FrustratedWithChanges View Post
    We have over 100 pages of questions, conflicting instructions (of no ones fault because they differ - hell everyone was kind to each other [and when kindness is frustrated, well, that annoys me]). At that point [100 pages] - the forms are no longer a resource.

Problem with Linux is that some things work for some people, others don't, all depending upon what version you use. And very unclear man pages.

Can Linux developers make up their mind so we can have some stability around here? As in - once we know what to do we don't got to relearn it again?
    While I realize that it's probably pointless for me to respond to your post:

1) You will notice by the change log at the bottom of the first post in this howto that I have meticulously kept the first post updated with all the information I encounter while supporting this thread. I don't know how to make it more useful than that.

2) I have used the exact same mount command to mount my server's shares across multiple systems and over 8 releases of Ubuntu (that's over 4 years of solid use). Never once have I found it necessary to change the command.

3) Most of the changes in Samba are related to changes that Microsoft makes. If we don't change Samba to keep up with Windows, eventually Linux would only be able to connect to Win98 and XP machines.

4) Current changes in Samba are a result of development which will soon support Active Directory. While this may cause bumps in the short term, I think this is a pretty good reason for making changes in Samba.

Beans

THaaaaaaaaaanks! this topic is very useful with small NAS (specially Dlink)........

Beans

There is a bug that causes a conflict between rhythmbox and winbind in Karmic and Lucid. Rhythmbox crashes when accessing any network/internet resource. The only forum link I have found is here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1453768

Obviously, uninstalling winbind is not a good solution. I believe there are bug reports submitted, but appear unconfirmed. I don't expect you have a fix, but curious if you had heard and if you have any ideas?

Thanks very much for this thread. It has saved my hair.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, I'm back.
    Got my wireless working properly so now it back to solving the "long shutdown" problem.
    I have tried many of the fixes in this thread as well as many others. Re-name files in rc0.d and rc6.d, trying different scripts, and many others. Nothing worked.

I did come up with a simple solution (sort of). The only caveat is that you have to logout, then shutdown. I know this works in Gnome but I dont know if it will work in other desktops.

I followed the pertinent instructions on page 1 (BTW- I am not using winbind and removed the wins entry from nsswitch.conf for other reasons. I didnt need winbind and wins was causing serious delays in web browsing)

I edited my /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default file like so:
    Open Terminal
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default
    Then add the following line:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh stop

exit 0
    Press ctrl X, then Y - enter

Remember, you have to logout first (Menu > Logout > click Logout).
    Then click the shutdown button on the main screen (lower right corner).

This may have already been posted somewhere in this thread and if it was, I apologize to the original author. But this thread is very long so I decided to post it anyway.

I know this is not a permanent fix but, in my case, its easier to teach someone to "Logout then Shutdown".

BTW - This "Long shutdown bug with wifi" has been posted many times in Launchpad. Apparently, even after a couple of years, they still have not fixed it. Hopefully Canonical will come up with a fix soon. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s.../?comments=all

Any comments/suggestions?

Buffalo Linkstation Quad
    (plus a couple of windows boxes
    Last edited by jeff8356; August 25th, 2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: added bug link

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JoeEndUser View Post
    There is a bug that causes a conflict between rhythmbox and winbind in Karmic and Lucid. Rhythmbox crashes when accessing any network/internet resource. The only forum link I have found is here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1453768

Obviously, uninstalling winbind is not a good solution. I believe there are bug reports submitted, but appear unconfirmed. I don't expect you have a fix, but curious if you had heard and if you have any ideas?

Thanks very much for this thread. It has saved my hair.
    Please post your current /etc/nsswitch.conf file. There are reports that changing the order of the elements in this file can fix the problem.

Page 126 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast